main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 13, 2016.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Though in the context of the Star Wars, just a thousand years is pretty unambitious. Even in the new canon that is just matching the Republic's lifespan rather than radically surpassing it.

I hope they realize that just because a senator is from a species does not mean that they have to represent the homeworld of that species.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Actually at least for the issue of Malastare it's worse. In the old EU, all the Gran senators we saw on screen represented Malastare which just happened to be their non-native colony. In the new EU, Malastare is the Gran homeworld, though it's also confusing because it's still the issue where all the Gran senators we see are from Malastare but the Malastare episodes of TCW only showed Dugs.

Gamiel and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Ultimate Star Wars does say that Malastare is only an adopted homeworld of the Grans. But you know... that book's been proved wrong before.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ....blargh. Thanks for the info though!

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The FFG sourcebook, Strongholds of Resistance, established that the Gran had separate Senatorial representatives from both Kinyen and the Gran Protectorate, the exiled Gran colonies, which were represented by Malastare. Senator Kharrus from TCW, for instance, represented Kinyen while Ask Aak represented Malastare. Interestingly, the two seemed to hate each other, since after Kharrus' death, Malastare used Kinyen's Separatist sympathies as a pretence for blocking any attempts at confirming a replacement.

That's probably Legends, of course, but relevant to the topic of Gran Senators seemingly only representing Malastare.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I liked the Gran/Dug conflict was always interesting to me, and I'd hoped for a Clone Wars story about the Separatists trying to exploit this by supporting the Dugs.

7. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Not bad, this goes along with a piece of the SW score being part of Empire propaganda music. "...your sector, and join the ranks of the proud!" And now we know what posters came along with those tapes.

8. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It just seems weird that the Galactic Senate has less representatives in it than China, for some odd reason.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it's a smaller number than we expected but the ship sailed on that in 1999. As much as the NEU is channeling WEG, they're also doubling down on Lucas. Lucas gave us the PT Senate so naturally that's what we're getting.

So we deal, as we always have. And who knows, perhaps it's a smaller galaxy the time?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, if senators are still meant to represent sectors, that number isn't that small. 1,024 sectors would make a lot of planets.

Gamiel and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It's also possible that this gets managed down further and further, and we've 1,024 political entities represented (which is why the Jedi and the Trade Federation have seats, maybe?) and so there are a lot of planets that are governed and represented by entities higher up the foodchain than they are. I have to imagine that every sector has its own senate in its own capital, and there's a senate for individual solar systems, and then individual planets, etc.

Gamiel and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, it's not small. Just a smaller than the pre-PT EU, which is I guess what people still understandably operate on. But the 1024 number isn't new.

I'd still imagine that Core Worlds had their own senators, and we can assume that the functional constituencies thing is still there (mostly Bc it was explaining a movie thing). So I don't think it means 1024 sectors. But there's still room for junior senators etc to get us to 2000.

And honestly, given that it's an oral, parliamentary system, 2000 isn't bad. Larger legislatures usually have backbenchers and things

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003

I was thinking about this the other day. You make a great point, we really don't know how "big" or "small" the Galaxy in the canon, right? As for senatorial representation, my assumption is that the powers that be don't want to fully explain it, as it is a complicated knot to untie. :p From a practical sense, numbers are always smaller as they want to put things into terms that the average reader can comprehend. Hence 2000 senators, fleets that are in the hundreds, three million clones, etc.

I know maximalists hate this, but let's face it, the second you write stories with hundreds of thousands of senators, millions of capital ships, and billions of soldiers, the scale gets a bit hard to tell a personal story in.

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel, Sarge and King of Alsakan like this.
  14. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Unlike the questions of some of the lower end populations, capital ships, and troop numbers, I could definitely buy a few thousand Senators representing the Republic. As mentioned above, I think it would be reasonable if they just represent a large group of constituent planets, with some other from of political hierarchy that reaches down to planetary levels in place.

Gamiel and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm also increasingly convinced that the Galactic Senate is more like an audience chamber for the Chancellor, and legislation that affects the galaxy as a whole is rare and obscure.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We're also forgetting how certain Core systems had multiple Senators available and weighted voting. I am more concerned by the Petition of 2000, if there are only 2000 Senators fullstop(!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

I don't care either way, RE: galactic size, but I don't see how this is true at all. How does the number of Jax Pavans out there have any affect on how difficult it is to tell a personal story about one Jax Pavan? Whether we're talking 5000 or 582,797,754, it's an identical process.

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    How large was the Legends Senate? Still the 24,372 figure?

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003

I brought it up more as a general statement that I have heard many fans state before, not as something that I feel strongly about one way or another. I term myself as a moderate in these issues, both from personal preference and a desire to avoid the often heated and contentious fights I've seen over the years regarding size, scale, and scope within the GFFA. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Anti-slavery laws, at least, seem pretty sweeping and unobscure. Even the taxation of trade routes is actually of tremendous importance to the economic livelihood of worlds. Think about it -- a shift in taxation could determine whether a world participates in galactic commerce or is doomed as a backwater.

Perhaps the Republic is a confederation but even so, it was impactful enough for worlds to want to leave it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Sophis and Gamiel like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I've always assumed that the powers of the Senate are defined to a very specific set of laws and responsibilities. Regulating galactic commerce, universal rights, military spending, galactic infrastructure, mediating disputes among members, and foreign relations with other galactic states. Outside of those specific areas (in regards to stuff at a galactic level), the member worlds handle their own affairs.

--Adm. Nick

BobaMatt likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Amidala was discussing food, electricity, and health in the Senate at one point -- that might suggest the Senate's role is broader than one supposes.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    In what capacity was she discussing those things?

EDIT: Is there a "Galactic Civics" thread?

24. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    A Senate with hundreds of thousands of senators would be undesirable anyway. It would be absolutely unwieldy to the point of being impossible to carry out the most elementary business. The point of representative democracy is that a few stand in for many, and the gap between 1,024 and 24,000 senators is trivial compared to the gap between 24,000 and the teeming quadrillions of beings in the galaxy. I've always taken for granted that there were hierarchies of regional and planetary representation below the Galactic Senate.

Ulicus and Sarge like this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Maybe part of the wartime powers given to the Chancellor and Senate?

--Adm. Nick