main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I may not be remembering right but I think the Guide to Warfare clarified it at the end that the moffs simultaneously held the military command of the sector armies, that the position of moff was created at the end of the Clone Wars to overlap with the existing sector army commands.

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    New cover?
    [​IMG]

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That is awesome and I am now even more an Empire Fan. [face_love]

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Long live the Empire!

JediFett10 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So, I don't normally do this... but I am way too excited. This book is gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Sarge, WMIRTUTSF, Revyl Ren and 8 others like this.
  6. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Is it at B&N?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not out until October 25 -- at which point it'll be available pretty much anywhere.

I'm subject to the usual pre-release embargo, so I can't post details but I have to say that I'm dying to. In addition to all the art and propaganda goodness that I expected, what I didn't expect is how much old EU lore and new continuity would be in this book. Lit is going to love it.

The best thing I could say about it is that the narrative text is very, very WEG.

DarkMark, Sinrebirth , Sarge and 13 others like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, that's some pretty strong praise.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Huh, with praise like that there is no way I'm missing this one.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

I meant it both in following the style (it is an in-universe book, after all) and incorporating a lot of old WEG lore.

jSarek likes this.
  11. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014

I never thought so little information could make me salivate so much.

I am ready.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Let's hope there is a Victory SD from a Clone Wars Era poster wich will make it finally "visual canon".

13. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Thanks for the early, spoiler-free impressions, Jello! I've never really been one for reference books, but maybe it's just encyclopedias I don't care for, because this sounds amazing. Maybe it's that it seems to have a very clear focus/angle/thesis? I don't know if we have any other (canon) reference books that are similar. Maybe the upcoming On the Front Lines book? In any case, Harper Collins should write you a check because I'm sold.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    If you're interested in good reference books, I would suggest the Essential Atlas and Guide to Warfare, as well as the Jedi/Sith/Imperial/Bounty Hunter handbooks from a few years ago, as those all have approaches that go beyond simply listing facts and are more than the lump sum of Wookieepedia-bait that, say, the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia was.

Darth_SHOT and Aphra like this.
  15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Even for Wookieepedians (or at least the good ones*), the Essential Atlas and Guide to Warfare, as well as the various Handbooks are way more interesting than any "encyclopedia." ;)

* Which, of course, include yours humbly. (We are our own best advocates, as the saying goes.)

Random Comments and Aphra like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Atlas and Warfare are probably the best SW reference books ever written, but they're not canon reference books so I don't know how pertinent that they are to Aphra's post.

Canon is rather lacking in the classic EU reference book department right now, but I think the Propaganda book is an excellent example of stuff we used to get. And happily it adds a lot of new lore instead of recapping existing stuff -- new both in the sense of new to canon but also in the sense of new period (e.g., there's plenty of EU making it over but there's fresh stuff too).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Random Comments, jSarek and Aphra like this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Since as you say, they're among the best Star Wars reference books ever written and there's essentially no reference material in canonical nu-EU stuff, I recommended them because it would be very sorry for someone interested in that to cut themselves off from it simply because it was published before 2014.

Daneira likes this.
  18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Also, heads-up that the Complete Locations will be released in about a month. New stuff made by Jason and the majority of stuff from the 2005 book will return in some form. The original had a lot of info-dump.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    However, from what you can see in the preview pages, it looks like the new stuff is much less copious when it comes to info-dump.

20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, and I'm much less interested in seeing that than I am about the old stuff reissued. I'm hoping Ep. 8 will one day add a lot more interesting stuff about its locations.

21. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Thanks for the recommendations! It's true that I'm mostly interested in canon stuff, but I do still dip into the EU occasionally for the really good stuff I missed. On the wish list they go!

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Completion Locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, what about it?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, well if you're open to EU then there's a whole pile of good reference books -- from coffee table books to RPG sourcebooks. Some great and some not so great -- so it might depend on what you're looking for.

As for the recent handbooks series, the Jedi and Bounty Hunter books are the best two. Then the Sith one. The Imperial one was not my favorite -- mostly because I don't think it added anything new like the others, and it didn't take the best advantage of the in-universe conceit.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There's a new one coming?

EDIT: Book of Sith creates so much new content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk