main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Purge: The Tyrant's Fist #2 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Star Wars: Purge - The Tyrant’s Fist #2

[​IMG]

Writer: Alexander Freed
    Penciller: Marco Castiello, Andrea Chella
    Inker: Marco Castiello, Andrea Chella
    Colorist: Michael Atiyeh
    Cover Artist: Dan Scott
    January 02, 2013

Darth Vader, hand of the new Galactic Empire, must find a new way to dominate the rebellious natives. Simple force won't work on these people; Vader must carve out the heart of their pride, and fill the hollow that is left behind with fear and obedience to the Empire. But one Jedi blocks the path to power.

* Alexander Freed of The Old Republic writes Darth Vader!

* Vader vs. Jedi!

--

Preview here.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Tyrant's Fist: A Good Day to Purge Hard........er wait o_O

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Ignorant brute Vader
    >Nope

4. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I actually liked this issue much better than the last one.
    We get to see real ideological warfare and the beginning of an explanation for why the Jedi were so utterly forgotten in the OT era... we get a pro-Imperial POV throughout, and a weirdly sentimental ending... and of course it helps that much of the story focuses on Narada rather than Vader. (Could have done without the mandatory Blackmanesque Palps-talking-down-to-Vader scene at the end though.)

My favorite picture: Narada holding Vader's tiny holographic head in her hand... now compare that to Vader holocalling Boba Fett in the TFU2 comic :p

5. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    Sounds great, i cannot wait to read it.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Rather dark issue though the main question I still have is how a rather shapely woman like Narada could get into a set of Clone Trooper gear…. :p

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    These are elastic, you know. :oops:

8. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    You know, I totally forgot the events of the first issue, but still really enjoyed this. It reads as well as a done-in-one story, and that's always a plus.

I really like the Dark Times period; it's both a blessing and a curse that Lucas didn't do more with it.

spicer likes this.
  9. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
    Possibly the best jedi death ever.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really liked this second issue. They delved into one of the most important, yet to be answered questions about the Star Wars galaxy, and I'll be damned if it wasn''t handled really well.

spicer and Ulicus like this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I was a little hesitant after the first preview but, ultimately, The Tyrant's Fist was pretty good.

I'd like to see more of Narada, too.

spicer and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I really liked The Tyrant's Fist. I'd like more Purge in the future :)

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmm... how many "Purge" stories are we up to?

Off the top of my head, there was the original one, the one with the nifty 3D art, and the one with Baby Koon, so that'd be three? And now with this we'd be up to five.

Enough for them to finally release a TPB collection perhaps?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    3D art? Do you mean the one drawn by Chris Scalf- The Hidden Blade? Otherwise there's a Purge out there I seriously need to read. :p

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I just meant Hidden Blade.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Just read them both... second one was better.

17. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I liked "Seconds to Die"

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The first Purge has been collected, but the others haven't, I would like to see Scaif's one in TPB format.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good ending to the duology. I find myself suprised how much I enjoy the Vader comics of late. I am not an overly big Vader fan, nor the biggest fan of the Purge period, but the stories keep being top notch. I loved Ghost Prison and I think that Tyrant's Fist was just a notch below it in overall quality. I think the thing that struck me the most about the issue was how ruthless the Empire was in eradicating the memory of the Jedi. People little were scared into denial and then eventually "amensia" when it comes to the Order. I rather liked the dark tone of this issue I give Freed credit for crafting such an interesting and thought provoking story.

--Adm. Nick

Ulicus likes this.
  20. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I think if most knowledge is in electronic databeses instead of books it's probably easier to manipulate history.

21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I just finished the two of them and liked the fairly good use of Vader thinking. Also, the things that the Jedi did not being taken for granted. The sheer variety of races onplanet was ... strange, nice visually, but odd. Extremely fine artwork.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked and didn't like this at the same time.

What I liked most was probably Cho'na Bene. They6 really managed to make him alien and different. I loved how he taunted and babbled at Vader. It left me wondering if he wasn't just a little crazy actully, but that added to his character for me.

I also liked Oniye Namada, how the story was presented in part through her security records. I also liked the fact that I think she is part Japanese, though if I find out later that she isn't it won't surprise me. I didn't like how she was how she was drawn from the neck down. I really think they could have gonme with a less is more approach when it came to her chest dimensions. It constatly took me out of the story and made me wonder what exactly the artists were trying to get across. In the end it was a minor problem but I couldn't help but think that the story might have been better served having her look less like a stereotypical super heroine.

Also I really didn't like Vader, or his interplay with the Emperor in these books. Too much rage, not enough intelligence for Vader. And now after years of Palpatine telling Vader not to worry about the Jedi he's apparently changed his tune. Didn't like that either.

I did like the art featuring the battle between Vader & Bene. Probably the highlight of the issues.

Overall it was alright but nothing to exciting.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I think what I like about these two issues is that how Vader deals with the Jedi is evolving. The original Purge he straight up kills them like we might expect. The second is more of the same, though we get another of the "Jedi has inspiring vision as they die" moment. The third one Vader kills the Jedi but fails his mission and loses the base. Finally, here we have him not only killing the Jedi but destroying its heroic legacy and history on the planet where it served. He's making not only about the physical death, but the memory as well. In some ways, it's a microcosm of what Palpatine did to the Jedi's image in the Republic as a whole, and I like that this change occurred.

Darth_Pevra and pronker like this.