main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Questionnaire

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by NDWife, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDWife

NDWife Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014
    I am writing a paper for school. I am questioning if Disney is making a mistake or not by picking through the Star Wars Expanded Universe to determine what is canon and what is not.

I am gathering information and opinions from Star Wars fans. Please help me out by answering the following questions:

1. How old are you?

2. What is your gender? Male/Female

3. Approximately how old were you when you first became a fan of Star Wars?

4. How did you feel about the potential future of Star Wars when you first heard that Disney had purchased the Star Wars franchise?

5. How do you feel about Disney assigning a team to search through the EU material to decide what is canon and what isn’t?

6. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see kept?

7. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see removed?

8. How would you describe your personal level of fandom?

9. How would changes/ removal to Star Wars canon affect your life?

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    1. 18
    2. Male
    3. 8
    4. Very excited
    5. It's better than just scrapping it all.
    6. Keep NJO and everything before, keep Mercy Kill, Crosscurrent, and Riptide.
    7. Scrap DNT, LOTF, FOTJ
    8. Very, very high
    9. None. If my life is actually affected by the decision to keep something canon, then I have a problem. :p

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    1. How old are you? 35

2. What is your gender? Female

3. Approximately how old were you when you first became a fan of Star Wars? 5

4. How did you feel about the potential future of Star Wars when you first heard that Disney had purchased the Star Wars franchise? good, because Disney will put out new stuff to make $ and my kids will know SW

5. How do you feel about Disney assigning a team to search through the EU material to decide what is canon and what isn’t? Where do I sign up to be on this team?/ It's a good idea

6. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see kept? Han and Liea get married. (that's my top priority everything else including their kids can be scrapped and I some of my first ever books were the YJK)

7. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see removed? Most of it, the x-wing books are most dear to my heart and the stuff that happened in them can probably be kept cannon as it's not a big impact on the overall story

8. How would you describe your personal level of fandom? 5 out of 10.

9. How would changes/ removal to Star Wars canon affect your life? It won't. I still have to pay bills and go to work everyday even if the EU is all kept cannon :(

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. How old are you? 31

2. What is your gender? Female

3. Approximately how old were you when you first became a fan of Star Wars? 8

4. How did you feel about the potential future of Star Wars when you first heard that Disney had purchased the Star Wars franchise? I am afraid they will kill it.

5. How do you feel about Disney assigning a team to search through the EU material to decide what is canon and what isn’t? It’s cherrypicking. I don’t like it as a concept but I suppose it’s better than merely saying everyone that contributed and bought into EU doesn’t matter.

6. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see kept? YJK, TTT, Yoda: Dark Rendvous, Corellian Trilogy, a few others

7. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see removed? Almost all of TCW, some elements of NJO, basically anything that follows it. Particularly LotF.

8. How would you describe your personal level of fandom? Now: 3 Younger: 7

9. How would changes/ removal to Star Wars canon affect your life? Ultimately it wouldn’t I will still maintain my views. I just feel bad for all the work others did that may be discounted.

5. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    1. 22

2. Male

3. About 10

4. I felt and still am feeling very excited.

5. I think that if this group which was assigned is qualified and knows SW EU well enough, it's a good idea, as opposed to just scrap everything off.

6. I'd really be annoyed if they removed KOTOR and stuff prior to the movies in general, but especially KOTOR, Exar Kun, the Bane trilogy and Plagueis novel.

7. Anything post-ROTJ I honestly don't care about, but there isn't anything I'd especially remove.

8. 8/10

9. Absolutely nothing at all. SW plays no real factor in my everyday life.

6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    1. 18 years old
    2. Male
    3. 6 years old
    4. I think it is pretty awesome that we are getting new movies, especially since recent EU novels have been so disappointing for me.
    5. I don't mind too much. While I might be a little bit sad if NJO gets scrapped, I think the ST could benefit from some of the great ideas the existing EU has added to the universe.
    6. I would like the New Jedi Order to survive but I don't really care about the rest of Post ROTJ. I also would like the KOTOR games and comics to survive as I really love KOTOR 2.
    7. I wouldn't mind TCW being scrapped but that is probably not going to happen. I wouldn't mind The Force Unleashed 2 and the Post NJO Denning verse also being removed.
    8. Before LotF ruined Jacen Solo I would have said 10/10. Now I am closer to a 7/10 as I still enjoy some of the older EU but I strongly dislike TCW and Denning's post NJO universe.
    9. It wouldn't change anything for me. I still have the old stories and will continue to enjoy them. I don't mind broken continuity if the stories are still good. If the new EU has some quality stories I can pick and choose from those too.

7. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    1. Rapidly approaching 46.

2. Male

3. A few months after I turned 9. And it was the novel first, then the album (the disco version, not the original soundtrack), then film.

4. A shot in the arm for the franchise. LFL had some really bad ideas under consideration like Detours, but now we're finally going to get the final trilogy.

5. I always thought the "all-inclusive" canon was getting too unwieldy anyway. Sometimes "retroactive continuity" is nothing more than "******** contradictions". (Apologies to those who have or know people with special needs).

6. The idea of the Empire still remaining a threat, forcing the New Republic to follow a policy of containment and rollback, the New Republic suffering growing pains, Jedi Order being rebuilt, Han and Leia settling into domestic life, Lando Calrissian still pursuing get-rich quick schemes.

7. Dark Empire/Dark Empire II/ Empire's End and the Black Fleet Crisis, along with the "Boba Fett as leader of the planet Mandalore" thing.

8. Been going at it for as long as some other respondents have been alive; twice as long in some cases, so it is pretty obvious. But I'm not one of those who go into some 3 year long depression because Chewbacca got killed.

9. Wouldn't change a thing. You just go with the flow.

BARDAN EDIT: Apologies or not you still need to star that out.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I am writing a paper for school. I am questioning if Disney is making a mistake or not by picking through the Star Wars Expanded Universe to determine what is canon and what is not.

1. 27
    2.female
    3. A full-on fan at 12
    4. I think everything I know and live will be eradicated
    5. They did? Well that's been established already for the most part. So I guess it's good but I can see them not accepting too many things.
    6. all? Even LOTF & FOTJ and Dark Nest. Not good but they're ours.
    7. IF something HAD to be: Anakin dying and Kacen turning and Tahiri being creepy with Ben.
    8. I'm a somewhat active participant in forums more than before but much less in fanfic.
    But I still *must* get every non TCW novel just because. Nowadays I'm in the comics since they'll be out of print
    9. This is one of the things that has kept me going over the years. But I don't know how much I'll be affected until I see more

9. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    1. How old are you? 42

2. What is your gender? Male

3. Approximately how old were you when you first became a fan of Star Wars? 6

4. How did you feel about the potential future of Star Wars when you first heard that Disney had purchased the Star Wars franchise? cautiously optimistic

5. How do you feel about Disney assigning a team to search through the EU material to decide what is canon and what isn’t? this process has been ongoing since the inception of the EU, nothing new here

6. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see kept? The X-Wing series stories & characters top my list

7. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see removed? Everything post-ROTJ involving Sith

8. How would you describe your personal level of fandom? obsessive

9. How would changes/ removal to Star Wars canon affect your life? I'd be forced to rearrange my bookshelves. Can't have canon and non-canon all mixed together.

10. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    1. How old are you?
    2. What is your gender?
    • Female
    • I'd known the stories of the Star Wars movies since I was little. I had my mom's Star Wars bedsheets, and she and my dad would tell me (highly edited) versions of the trilogy as bedtime stories. I was finally considered old enough to see them when I was 10, when the THX-remastered editions were released on VHS. Those films literally changed my life.
    4. How did you feel about the potential future of Star Wars when you first heard that Disney had purchased the Star Wars franchise?
    • I was at first a little concerned that they might "flood the market" with their plan to release a new Star Wars movie every year. However, the video series LucasFilm released, featuring George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy discussing the future of the series, put my mind at ease. I think it's in good hands.
    5. How do you feel about Disney assigning a team to search through the EU material to decide what is canon and what isn’t?
    • This has always been the case. The fans might buy it when a representative from LucasBooks says "It's all canon," but I've read the Jedi Prince series. It's never been "all canon."
    6. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see kept?
    • Honestly? I'm kinda looking forward to a clean slate. Take The Clone Wars approach: The Expanded Universe could be used as source material, but shouldn't be seen as gospel.
    7. If you could pick and choose, what EU characters/storylines et cetera would you like to see removed?
    • See above.
    • I mean, Star Wars saved my life when I was a kid. It was the escape I needed from an incredibly rough childhood. I don't know what "level" of fan that places me at, but this series will always be important to me.
    • My life? That's a bit dramatic. But I will sleep easier knowing that Waru no longer exists in the Star Wars universe. :p

11. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    1. How old are you?

Female

My first feelings were pure excitement.

I'm not really sure. I've heard rumors about them using the same characters but with different names, and that bugs me a lot. Either do it all or none at all.

Mara Jade, and parts of the Solo kids as well as Ben Skywalker. I really liked the lost tribe of the sith in the Fate of the Jedi series.

Mara's death.

Completely obsessed. Star Wars is my life and I couldn't live without it.

12. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    1. How old are you?

Female

6(ish)

Great potential for good or bad. It'll be spectacular either way.

Intellectually, I understand there's enough contradictions (and straight-up terrible stuff) that they have to do something of the sort. But I also feel rather protective of my EU.

The Thrawn Trilogy has to stay or I'll have nothing to do with them. X-wing should be kept for sure. NJO shouldn't be tossed out without a compelling reason.

Honestly, I think the prequels need to be reworked entirely. (See "What if Star Wars Episode I was good" on youtube, by Belated Media.) Crystal Star and Darksaber would be no loss, and my heart wouldn't break if the Legacy of the Force/Fate of the Jedi were redone.

I consider myself an extremely dedicated fan, but I'm also cantankerous and more than willing to take the franchise to task if they don't show respect and consideration for thr fans.

If the Thrawn Trilogy is hurt, or really anything by Zahn, I'm going to be upset. I'm enough of a fan that it really would impact my life (in a first world problems kind of way, of course.) It's not just a bunch of stories to me; sometimes it seems more real than my own life.

13. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    1. How old are you?

Female

Eleven years-old.

I was excited and thrilled beyond words.

I believe it’s a great idea.

Everything up through NJO.

LOTF, FOTJ, and especially Chewbacca and Mara’s deaths.

7 out of 10

It wouldn’t.

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    1. How old are you?

Male

Not sanguine. I thought Star Wars had done a perfectly good job of perpetuating itself through books and comics, and my suspicion is that they'll bulldoze existing canon the same way TCW did, which isn't really my thing.

Bad. The value of the EU to me was tied to the fact that it was the canon continuity and that you're actually reading the continuing stories of the people you saw in the movies. Yes, there are discrepancies and glitches, there are always going to be (heck, for my money there are discrepancies between the movies, too). But they made a serious attempt, and a pretty rare one in sci-fi, to keep it all in the same universe as much as possible, and I would say for the most part they succeeded. Without that, the EU becomes like the Star Trek novelverse - basically fan fiction and "what might have been" stories, which hold much less interest for me even if I will pick one up every now and then. (And no, after all these years of the EU expanding my Star Wars universe, I'm not terribly interested in Disney giving me a 2.0 "okay, here's the REAL continuing adventures of Luke, Han and Leia!" - probably including the movies).

Almost everything up to The Unifying Force.

Everything after the NJO. (That's more of an "if I could go back in time and tell people not to write things" thing, though. Like I said, wrecking canon isn't really my thing).

Very high.

It wouldn't, except that if Disney/Abrams bulldoze existing canon like I fear they will, I'll probably lose interest in the Star Wars franchise, which to this point was one of my biggest sources of fiction reading (easily the biggest in sci-fi). I'd treat the "new EU" like I do Star Trek books - read one once in a while, but not be terribly interested overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.