main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wales Star Wars Quiz Night - 9th April - Cardiff

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ScottCardiff, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ScottCardiff

ScottCardiff Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I am organising a Star Wars Quiz Night at the Royal Hotel Cardiff on the 9th April 2013 from 7.30pm. Ten rounds suitable for all manor of Jedi from Padawans to Knights! :D

Entry is just £1 per person and 1st prize is a £25 Forbidden Planet Voucher. 10% discount on all drinks in the cantina too.

There is a link to our Facebook event here:

http://www.facebook.com/events/143449595817771/

Stuey, halibut and Yoshee like this.
  2. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Hello, and thanks for sharing! :)

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
  4. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    darn it, only just noticed this and not swansea based due to uni anymore either :(

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Cardiff was too far away for me to come down just for a £25 voucher :p

6. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    This is disappointing! I return to these boards for the first time in years and miss a Star Wars quiz a five minute walk from my house by a month. D'oh!

ScottCardiff: Any update on how it went or if you're planning any similar events in future?

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A Cardiff man, eh?

Tell me, Good Sir. Do you like Doctor Who?

8. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Me? I do like Doctor Who? Do you like Doctor Who too?

Cardiff is well worth a visit for any fan of the show, especially with the new exhibition on the bay. I work at the university and they are often filming in my building.

To be honest I'd rather encounter Benedict Cumberbatch when they film Sherlock, hubba hubba (my wife doesn't approve of this ambition)

I'd be happy to give anyone pointers who fancied a visit, or a meet if those still happen on a grand scale

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Which building is that? Is it the Glamorgan Building?

10. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Yes, Glamorgan building

I'm not actually based there now (I'm in a much less impressive building across the park from it) but I'm still part of the Social Science department which is based in Glamorgan. Do you know that because you're a Doctor Who fanatic? If so that's quite impressive

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  12. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    That's awesome, I've visited a few similar sites in the past but I particularly like the way you've juxtaposed your own photos with stills from the show (particularly for the places I know well like Glamorgan Building).

I spend a lot of time when I'm watching the show trying to figure out where they shot it, for example the Idiot's Lantern on Florentia Street, I used to live just round the corner from there but couldn't figure out which of the streets it was (there are about 5 in a row that all look largely the same)

I moved to Cardiff in 2003 and they began shooting here not very long after so the show has always been special to me (beside of course that I'm a massive geek and would watch it anyway)

I'd love to meet up next time you have a visit, I can probably rope in former RSA Sebulba_Sloan too who lives in Newport and works in Glamorgan building

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Awesome. Blink was filmed in Newport :p

I did Florentia Street last Summer, and was going to head down to Victoria Park to visit there, but it was a sweltering heatwave, and I got distracted by a pub that was en route.

14. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    What episodes were shot in Victoria Park? I moved house about a month ago to the other side of town so I'm quite near to Victoria Park but as it wasn't that familiar before I moved so I've never recognised it in any episodes

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's where the Doctor plays football in The Lodger. And the playground was used in Forest of the Dead (although that's no longer there :( )

16. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Ah ha! I used to live opposite Roath Park and upon learning this, a midwife who was in the process of delivering my son tried to convince me that the football scenes from the Lodger were shot there when I had a feeling it was Victoria Park. Upon receiving an 'I'm in labour you idiot could you leave the geekiness alone just this once' look from my wife I didn't argue the point (for long). I'm glad that you've validated me and yes I am a sad little man

The best part of that story is it makes it seem like everyone in Cardiff spend their time talking about Doctor Who (which we do)

halibut likes this.
  17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Truer words were never spoken. Every single person I've met in Cardiff (and Newport) has been more than willing to chat to me about their filming experiences. I spoke for over an hour to an old guy who was painting his fence. His house was next to Martha's house. He was telling me how all the neighbours got together to watch the episode, and that they had a TARDIS on their street overnight and the security guard let them all inside. I've had nightclubs open up especially for me to go in and take pictures.

But the best ones are the places that might be under new management and they had no idea that Doctor Who was filmed there. Always a pleasure to educate them :)

And Roath Park has been used. There's a botanical conservatory there I believe which was used in The Doctor's Daughter. And Wilf's allotment is there too.

18. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I knew about the conservatory but not about the allotments. Looking them up I don't think I've ever been up to them which is why I didn't recognise it

Where have you been that didn't know about it? Quite a few shops and bars seem to have quite a sort life span in Cardiff particularly with the new(ish) mall. I walked past what (upon watching) turned out to be the filming of the very first scene of Torchwood one night coming back from the cinema but the alley they filmed in has been demolished now because of the mall

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    St David's Car Park? That was also used in Who a few times.

Couple of places spring to mind. La Monde, the fish restaurant on St Mary's Street had no idea even though the new owner is a massive Who fan! That's the bar where Canton got picked up in The Impossible Astronaut.

Also the Fat Cat Cafe opposite the New Theatre had no idea (That was the pub Donna went to in Partners in Crime)

20. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Ha! My brother-in-law is one of the co-owners of Le Monde but it probably wasn't him that you spoke to because he's never said anything about Doctor Who to me and if he found that out I'd probably be the first person he told. I had no idea they had filmed in there though because obviously I've been in there quite a few times

Yes St Davids car park, it was quite horrible but it still seems like a shame to lose it

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  22. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    That link doesn't seem to work

It wouldn't have been my brother-in-law though because he's not married but I think he's got 3 partners in the business so it was probably one of them. I'll ask him next time I see him though