main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Star Wars Random Elements Challenge--or exercising your creative muscles NEW Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by kateydidnt, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Exercise your fanfic muscles! Take up the Random Elements Challenge. Write a short story according to the following rules.

I have an excel spreadsheet on my computer with all possible elements to the challenge (which is likely to grow) and then I use a random number generator to choose which elements will go in the challenge.

Each challenge will have three parts:
    Part 1: Two random characters. Some might be from the movies, some from the Expanded Universe. The challenging part is when the characters might be from completely different time periods. The two characters must both be mentioned in your story. They can be romantically involved, bitter enemies, or complete strangers, whatever both must feature in some way.
    Part 2: Usually a place, a group or a situation, sometimes an item. Use it how you want to. Note: if Part 2 is a place it does not have to take place there, it just has to involve it somehow.
    Part 3: An item, a quote, an idea or some sort of thing. Use it how you want as well.

There is no guideline restricting the length of your piece, just make sure you post a link!

I will be posting a new random challenge periodically. Join in the fun and test yourself with the weird combinations of the Star Wars Random Elements Challenge!

You may answer any challenge posted here at any time--you are not limited to this week's challenge only. In fact if you really want to you can ask for your own random challenge rather than the weekly one, just PM me.

Challenge 1:
    Chewbacca and Senator Palpatine : Jedi Archives : target

Challenge 2:
    Wrenga Jixton and Jaina Solo :: Bakura :: a Letter
    Answer by Cka3ka (in thread)

Challenge 3:
    Jan Dodonna and Biggs Darklighter :: Jawa Sandcrawler :: giggling like mad

Challenge 4:
    A Senator and Grand Moff Tarkin :: Aggressive Negotiations :: Murphy's Law
    Answer by DarthIshtar I-D-10-T Error

Challenge 5:
    Mace Windu and Beru Whitesun Lars :: Restaurant :: "What am I going to do with you?"
    Answer by JuniorPadawan "Destiny" (in thread)

Challenge 6:
    R2-D2 and Captain/Admiral Piett :: Arbra :: Evacuation

Challenge 7:
    Chewbacca and Jar-Jar Binks :: Kashyyyk :: "I'll never join you!"
    Answer by NenYim "The Evil Gungan" (in thread)

Challenge 8
    Captain Panaka and Aayla Secura :: Tantive IV :: Probe Droid

Challenge 9:
    Mara Jade and Shmi Skywalker :: River of Light :: hate

Challenge 10:
    Lando Calrissian and C-3PO :: spaceport :: double-bladed lightsaber

Challenge 11:
    Darth Tyrannus and Sabe :: a death notice :: Yoda's gimmer stick
    Answer by brodiew My Master's Bidding

Challenge 12
    Bant Eerin and an Ambassador :: a formal reception :: "Speaking cryptically, I am."

Challenge 13:
    Windy and an Imperial officer :: sunset :: manipulation

Challenge 14:
    Obi-Wan Kenobi and Tahl :: supply closet :: Correllian Ale
    Answer by NenYim (In thread)
    Answer by [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/use

2. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    A great idea Katey! It will be fun to read (and write) what happens :) I'll have to think about this one. You are just filled with plot bunnies ;)

3. Analise

Analise Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    Just as a *cough* random note.

I could probably set up a random topic generator on a webpage for you if you wanted. :)

4. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Challenge #2
    Friday March 11, 2005

Wrenga Jixton and Jaina Solo :: Bakura :: a Letter

Anybody want to take a crack at it? Have fun!

5. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    And here we are with Challenge three!

Jan Dodonna and Biggs Darklighter :: Jawa Sandcrawler :: giggling like mad

I am going to keep posting these things, one might strike someones muse at some point.

6. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    And here is challenge number four!

Challenge 4:
    March 25, 2005

A Senator and Grand Moff Tarkin :: Aggressive Negotiations :: Murphy's Law

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, that one I'm totally going to do.

8. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Wehee! I love you Ish. I look forward to it.

9. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    April 1, 2005

Mace Windu and Beru Whitesun Lars :: Restaurant :: "What am I going to do with you?"

10. JuniorPadawan

JuniorPadawan Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Random Elements Challenge
    Challenge 5:
    April 1, 2005

Destiny
    By: JuniorPadawan

Mace Windu, Jedi Master and Council member looked out of the large window beside him at the ever flowing traffic of a planet city that never slept. Usually he found the view from his favorite restaurant to be calming, as he imagined the flow of traffic to be the flow of the Force. But like tonight's traffic, Mace's thoughts were anything but calm. Taking a small sip from his drink, Mace allowed himself a single sigh and closed his eyes. Today's council session had not gone well. "If only Qui-Gon wasn?ft so stubborn," he thought. Desperately Mace queried the Force for the correct path, but was once again heralded with nothing. Opening his eyes, he was just in time to watch the traffic smash into each other. Mace shook his head. "If they had only paid more attention to those around them instead of what they were trying to do, none of this would have happened.' A sudden chill overcame him as if the Force was giving him a warning, but he quickly tossed the feeling aside as a slight draft in the old restaurant. Unbidden, the image of a young sandy-haired blue eyed boy that had stood next to Qui-Gon filled his thoughts. "What am I going to do with you?"

Beru Whitesun Lars watched her young charge with a slight smile. Today was his seventh birthday, and she had promised to take him to his favorite restaurant in Anchorhead. With the normal exuberance of youth, Luke sat as straight as he could in the speeder and spread his arms wide, imagining that he was flying high above the ground. His joy was suddenly cut short as Luke turned his head to the right and noticed a lone broken speeder not too far in the distance.

"Aunt Beru... we have to help him," he pleaded, pulling at the cloth of her sleeve.

"Luke, we don't know who he is. He could try to rob us."

"He won't," he stated confidently, as if he could somehow sense it.

With a sigh, Beru turned their speeder and flew towards the broken one. Before she had even shut off the engine, Luke had jumped out of the speed and ran towards the elderly man sitting next to the broken speeder.

"Hi, I'm Luke Skywalker. Are you okay?"

The man smiled tiredly. "I thought no one would come and rescue me."

Beru sighed. It looked like they weren't going to make their one o'clock reservation, but she couldn't get mad at the boy. It was just the way Luke was, forever going out of his way to help people. "What am I going to do with you?" she asked quietly to herself with a broad smile and a touch of pride. Somehow she knew that this was his destiny.

11. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hm, I might have to write something for this challenge... this is a pretty neat idea.

12. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    JuniorPadawan Thank you for your story! I liked it alot-seems like quite a few peole have been at a loss when wondering what to do with the Skywalkers. :D Glad you took up the challenge!

Syntax I look forward to anything you write in answer to this challenge!

Remember everybody-there is a new official challenge every week and there is no rule against writing a story to answer an earlier challenge.

13. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Ok, expect two challenges tomorrow--my computer has been in repairs and I can get it back tomorrow morning (yahoo for Tax Refunds!-the only reason I can afford to pay for the repairs tomorrow!).

14. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Here is the challenge for Friday April 8

R2-D2 and Captain/Admiral Piett :: Arbra :: Evacuation

Edit: FYI: Arbra was the planet where the Rebel headquarters were located after Hoth. Various Star Wars glossaries/encyclopedias available online can tell you more.

15. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Challenge 7
    April 15, 2005

Chewbacca and Jar-Jar Binks :: Kashyyyk :: "I'll never join you!"

Edit: I swear, this one really was random. Just chance that Chewie and Kashyyyk are in the same one.

16. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I just have to do that one.
    ~
    Random Elements Challenge
    Challenge 7: April 15, 2005
    Chewbacca and Jar-Jar :: Kashyyk :: "I'll never join you!"

The Evil Gungan

Leia was awoken by her husband's shaking her.

"What is it, Han?" she demanded. "It's midnight!"

Han stared seriously at her. "Chewie is having a nightmare. Jaina was trying to make him have Forcevisions, and I think it worked."

Trying not to think about damage her three~year~old could have done to Chewbacca's brain, Leisa rolled out of bed and headed over to where Chewie was asleep, half whimpering.

Leia sank into a Forcetrance, and entered Chewie's nightmare.

Chewie is standing on a leafy branch of a wroshyr tree on his homeworld; Kashyyk. In front of him is a tall slimy looking thing in dark black robes. Leia recognized it as a Gungan, an inhabitant of Naboo. Chewie knows the frog thing is a Sith, and so Leia did too.

The Gungan spreads its arms out to the sky. "Mesa Darth Jar-Jar Binks!" he proclaims. "Mesa da Ruler of da Galaxy! Mesa berry berry evil, mesa! Mesa bombin' you! Mesa bombad Gungan! Mesa have da GRAND ARMY!"

Slowly, across the tree branches rolls strange water creatures, giant fish, and more Gungans, including an impossibly fat one.

"Mesa GRAND GENE-RAL!" the Gungan declares. "Mesa gonna kill yousa! Yousa gonna die! Unless," Suddenly the Gungan's voice drops down to a whisper. "Unless yousa joinin' me! Wesa den RULE da galaxy togedder! Togedder wesa kill all! Wesa be BOMBAD!"

Chewie roars in fear. He claws madly at the wroshyr branch, howling, as a double bladed lightsaber appears from the Gungan's hand. "Is yousa gonna joine mesa?" the Gungan inquires, a delicately evil glint in his eyes, "Or is mesa GRAND ARMY gonna hafta be killin' yousa?"

Chewie yells inarticulate Wookie rage. "[I'll never join you!]" he snarls.

The Gungan's face twists evilly. He advances, and slices Chewie's paw off with a swish of his lightsaber. Chewi screams, and flings himself off the tree, falling...falling...FALLING...

Chewie awakened, and shrieked Wookie terror so loud, Leia flinched.

"It's all right!" she yelled. "Chewie, you were dreaming!"

Chewie calmed down and stared suspicously at her.

Just then, the twins scrambled out of their room and toward Leia, Hanand Chewbacca.

"Wow." Jacen said, wide eyed. "When I have a nightmare, can I scream like that too?"

Jaina giggled. "Only if mesa plant thingies in yousa mind."

Han's eyes narrowed. "Where did you learn how to speak Gungan?"

"Yes," Leia put in. "Where?"

Jaina grinned. "Out of a Holovid. I watched that and Jasa watched a play about Uncle Luke defeating Grandad. So I wanted Chewie to see them, because I was scared, and Chewie would help, and I didn't know I would give him nightmares!"

She burst out in tears, and so did Jacen. Chewbacca got up, and put a comforting arm about them.

"[They are only children.]" he explained at Han and Leia.

And only Leia caught the surge of fear from him as he remembered Darth Jar-Jar Binks.
    ~

17. JuniorPadawan

JuniorPadawan Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Hilarious NenYim. If you haven't posted that on the main fanfic board you really should! Darth Jar-Jar Binks [face_laugh]

18. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    [face_laugh] That was GREAT.

Darth Jar-Jar Binks. :eek:[face_worried]

Hehehehe, I'll have to remember that one.
    Thanks for entering the challenge!

19. cka3ka

cka3ka Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    In response to: Challenge 2: March 11, 2005

Wrenga Jixton, Jaina, Bakura, and a letter.

Genre: Attempted Drama/Introspection
    Description: Jaina learns some things about the past.
    ------

Bakura. She had been sent out to Bakura which was in the back ends of nowhere. Ok, so it had been the site of a Peace Treaty between part of the Empire and the Republic, but with the Vong invasion, recent political history wasn't of much interest to Jaina Solo.

What she should have been doing was fighting at the front with her fellow Rogues. Instead, she had been ordered by Wedge and her Uncle Luke to this planet in order to recover a... letter. Apprently written an old piece of paper was some vital information that NRI thought was important. Somehow, somewhere, someone had decided that she was the person for the job instead of one of the usual NRI hacks. Oh well... no point in grumping about it. Might as well get this done and get back to the squadron as soon as possible

As soon as she recieved clearance to land, she guided her X-wing with a steady experienced hand into a flawless landing. As soon as she landed, she hopped out of the cockpit.

"Hey R7[1]," she said to her Astromech, "Get this puppy ready to fly please. I want to be out of here as soon as I get back."

The little Astromech tooted a series of beeps which indicated an affirmative to Jaina.

"Thanks, R7," she said as she hurried towards the docking bay doors. She'd have to pay the docking fee and then hopefully be on her way to her destination. Apparently, the letter was being kept at a house near the outskirts of the city. She'd have to rent a speeder and though it might cost a few credits, she could make it out there and back in time for a late dinner. That would be satisfying.

Jaina was annoyed to no ends. Things just weren't going right for her. Here she was four hours later stuck in traffic. It should have been a two hour drive and she should have been there and back now. But no, the force known as gridlock was driving her crazy. Letting out a yell of frustration, she slammed her hands on the wheel. Then, she dove out of the designated lane and started speeding towards her destination. She didn't go 15 minutes before she heard sirens behind her. Great... just great... I'm a hero of the Republic and a jedi knight, and now I'm going to get a speeding ticket. Dad would laugh at me.

"Excuse me man, but you realize you are driving recklessly," said the officer as he came up to her car. "You can seriously hurt someone."

I fly X-wings through laser fire and this guy... She cut her anger off and tried a concillitory approach. "Officer, I'm with the New Republic and I have an urgent meeting to go to. I'd appreciate it if you could allow me to proceed without obstacle."

"Sure you are missy, alright license and regis..."

"You don't need to see my identification," said Jaina as her patience wore out.

"I don't need to see your ID," chanted the officer.

"You're not going to give me a ticket."

"I'm not going to give you a ticket."

"You're going to let me drive how I want to drive."

"I'm going to let you drive how you want to drive."

"Thanks officer," said Jaina as she flashed him a brilliant smile and took off. "See ya."

Twenty minutes and two more pullovers later, she arrived at her destination. As soon as she pulled up, her mood deterioted further. In front of the house where the letter was kept was several aircars--two of which were burning hulks.

Sounds of blaster fire and grenades going off came from the house itself. Grenades??, thought Jaina to herself. Anyone using grenades in such a small area was likely to blow themselves or the whole house up. Sure enough, the entire house exploded in spectacular fashion two seconds later. The blast was strong enough to throw her off her speeder.

Instinctively, Jaina reached out to the force to check for signs of life. Not surprisingly there was nothing alive in the remains of the home, but there was one presence nearby. She enhanc

20. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    That was good! I have always liked the relationship between Jix and Vader I like his family finding out about Vader from someone who learned to respect and trust him. Thanks for writing!

21. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Whoo...this is an interesting thread to say the least. But challenges 3, 4 and 7 have given me plot bunnies that won't go away. I particularly like the "agressive negotiations" bit. Have we been channeling Obi and Annie in episode two?

22. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Challenge 8
    April 22, 2005

Captain Panaka and Aayla Secura :: Tantive IV :: Probe Droid

Sorry this is a few days late-busy busy weekend.

23. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Challenge Nine
    April 29, 2005

Mara Jade and Shmi Skywalker :: River of Light :: hate

Well this would certainly be an interesting one if someone were to try it out...Mara Jade and Shmi Skywalker... *kateydidnt gets out her lightsaber to slay plot bunnies because she already has enough of them hopping around*

24. Fisto89

Fisto89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    What is the River of Light?

25. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    River of Light

I thought it was something different, but that's what the encyclopedia said it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.