main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Re-releases???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Nov 14, 2013.

?

Will Disney re-release the first 6 films before December 18th, 2015???

1. Hell Yeah!

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Hell No!

31 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Firstly, to those who mentioned the 3D, I never said anything about them in 3D since I already know they've cancelled that project. I believe that George intended to do just what we're discussing in re-releasing the original 6 movies in 3D as his lead-up to E7, just like he did in 1997&1998.

Secondly, I don't think it will cost that much money for Disney to do this. I'm sure there are tons of prints still in existence in a LFL archive somewhere.

Thirdly, I think a reduced ticket for the re-release would be in order so as to give younger generations who never saw them in the theater a chance to experience it as intended -- ON THE BIG SCREEN! My neice has only seen them on a widescreen TV. Hardly the same thing.

Fourthly, I think some theaters would be wise to offer a "Marathon Option" although even I'd have a hard time trying to sit through 6 films only because I have limited time as is. BUT I think offering all 6 movies for a month or two each as we lead up to 7 would be ideal for general fans and younger fans to catch-up or refresh or experience the phenomenon in real life and not of TV.

Lastly, IF FOX thinks they can make a buck, and there's every reason to believe they would, they'd cooperate.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I have no idea what Titanic 3-D did domestic or overseas, but Phantom Menace took in over $40 million total. So if Titanic did $4.8, that's gotta be quite a bit worse than E1.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Titanic 3-D made $4.8 million in Japana, TPM 3-D made $6.9 million in Japan.

Yancy

4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    OK I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    There is not such thing as cancelled altogether in Star Wars!!!

6. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, Disney postponed the 3D conversions but I doubt they will never conclude the project. I think it could still make too much money since SW has been revived with all these exciting news plans -- ST, Spinoffs, TV Shows, Theme Parks.

Jedirush2112 and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I would love to see episodes 1-6 released in theatres one at a time even month for six months prior to 12/18/15 (Ep 1 on 6/18/15, ep 2 on 7/18/15, and so on).

laurethiel1138 and Echo-07 like this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Here's a problem: If they released all 6 at once, would that not take up too much theatre space to fit newly released movies?

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I can't see many theaters doing a marathon or showing all 6 simultaneously. I think logistically releasing one movie at a time say in early 2015 leading up to December is more feasible. I for one would love to be able to take my niece to see them on the big screen and then build up the excitement for E7.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Talking about re-releases a Blu-ray version of the Holiday Special is in order :D

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    +1. Today is the 35 anniversary after all. :D

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I could see some theaters doing either a run upto E7 or a marathon upto E7, depending on what they are allowed to do. It seems to me that is becoming a trend. I'd probably at least go see the OT if they did it.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    They should wait until the 40th anniversary to re-release.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The 40th anniversary will see the release of Episode VIII. That might just be weird timing

15. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Only if they are in 3D. If not what's the point? o_O

16. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm thinking that's overkill.... Not that this would ever work or make sense, but what if they did some 3ish hour edit of all 6 movies and released a couple weeks prior...

They could thrown in some new effects and remove jar jar from the story entirely

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I voted yes, but I think they will only release the OT since they haven't been in theaters since 1997 and lead into the ST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Or just DVD. It's way too lo-res for Blu-ray anyway.

21. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wouldn't be shocked if they did a original trilogy marathon leading up to the midnight release of the new film. At work these marathons have been pretty popular. We just did double features for The Hobbit and Hunger Games which were very popular. We did a marathon of the marvel movies leading into Thor 2 again that did pretty well. Back when the original Lord of the Rings movies were wrapping up we did a marathon of the extended additions that I had to play in 3 different auditoriums. So these types of things do work and are being done by the big chains.

Echo-07 and T-R- like this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just curious... you need permission from the movie production / distribution companies to do that, right?

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yes you do. The film department sets it up. We pay film rental on it just like any other movie.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

eht13 likes this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm hoping one of the 500 theaters near me is smart enough to do a marathon.[face_praying]

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You either have a very loose definition of "near" or you live in a very theater-dense area. :p