main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Re-releases???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Nov 14, 2013.

?

Will Disney re-release the first 6 films before December 18th, 2015???

1. Hell Yeah!

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Hell No!

31 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    exaggerated of course, but there are quite a few theaters within a 30 minute drive.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

That's just because you're used to seeing old videotape recordings. It was shot on film which means the resolution would be the same as any other film, depending on how the effects were done. Still, I'd settle for a good DVD, but I generally prefer anything on BD if i have the choice.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No re-releases. I don't want to spend money.

TKT and eht13 like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But it wasn't shot on film - it was shot on 70's video cameras. Not very high resolution.

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

Ah ok. I didn't realize that. If that's the case it doesn't matter too much I suppose.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I don't think anyone wants to see Bea Arthur in hi-def :p.

Echo-07 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008

Ahem! Let's have the ACTUAL numbers here!

Lion King (2011) $177.6 million
    Finding Nemo (2012) $72.1 million
    Beauty and the Beast (2012) $62.0 million
    Monsters Inc (2012) $37.4 million

Also:
    Titanic (2012) $343.6 million
    Jurassic Park (2013) $116.5 million
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (2012) $102.7 million

Please stop pretending that US box office is the only one that counts! Studios are HEAVILY investing into foreign markets now because of the massive growth in cinemas, and the continued interest in 3D, especially in Asian countries (The country I live in got its first cinema in 2011 - we have 3 now)

Secondly, enough with these "studios barely made a profit" crap. Have you not ever heard of Hollywood Accounting? Titanic, JP, and The Lion King were all considered to have done VERY well for a re-release. Star Wars isconsidered to have done good enough bizz, while Finding Nemo, B&B and Monsters are considered to have done poorly.

And you're incorrect about the market for them also. Independence Day, The Little Mermaid, and even The Wizard of Oz are getting 3D treatments so studios clearly aren't stopping the trend. We WOULD have had all the Star Wars films in 3D had Lucas sold to Disney just a little bit later. I still think we will get them eventually. And if The Phantom Menace (the "worst SW film" according to most of the internet) can make over $100 million, then the other 5 CERTAINLY can - if not MORE!

8. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    As I pointed out before I was talking about the US perception of 3-D regarding re-releases. And yes those Disney numbers including international are wretched considering the amount of money invested in conversion and promotion... it's why Disney CANCELED Little Mermaid 3-D (it went straight to Blu-Ray with the exception of a brief 2 week release at the El Capitan in Hollywood). If you bothered to examine the numbers, Lion King's worldwide take of $177 million is great (BTW it was buttressed by a fairly substantial simultaneous 2D release), but then the floor drops out of 3-D the following year with Beauty and the Beast making $66 worldwide, and subsequent releases didn't fare any better. As of now Disney has put their 3D conversions on hold.

Also you are overstating the interest in international 3-D re-releases, Titanic's numbers are super inflated because it actually performed well in one overseas market... China. If you look at the international numbers they are very soft, and in fact just plain bad in numerous markets. For example Japan was the largest overseas market for Titanic when it originally released making just over $200 million... the 3-D release was a disaster and didn't even make $5 million. Over half of Titanic 3Ds overseas numbers came from China alone, other markets like the UK did alright, but its internationally success was built completely on the Chinese market where 3D still plays well in.

BTW Independence Day 3D was ALSO canceled over a year ago:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/fox-cancels-independence-day-3d

And the Wizard of Oz already had its 3D/IMAX release back in September for a special 1-week engagement to promote a Blu-Ray reissue. It made about $5.5 million. There are no plans for an international reissue.

Finally, 3D film revenues have begun to take a dramatic fall and filmmakers are moving AWAY from the technology. 3DTV is on death's door, especially with the exit of ESPN from 3D broadcasts, and the markets are moving on to the next great technology 4K resolution TV. 3D has once again shown itself to be nothing more than a fad... sure it will languish on for a few years with specific releases catered to the 3D process (e.g., Avatar sequels), but by and large 3-Ds best days are well behind it.

Yancy

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is why it wouldn't even be worth it. Disney should just let all the anticipation go into EPISODE VII and the next movies without the bashing baggage re-releases would bring.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Funny......Box Office Mojo still has ID4, Wizard of Oz, and the Little Mermaid listed as coming.

11. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Box Office Mojo is notorious for not updating their release schedule page. Sorry to disappoint you:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/ja...els-little-mermaid-3d-pirates-5-2015-20130114
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni41193381/

Wizard of Oz MAY get a limited release overseas, but there has been no announcement... wouldn't hold your breath.

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't know that re-releasing the first 6 episodes in the years leading up to December 18th would hurt it at all.

1- Releasing the SE's didn't hurt E 1.
    2- Re-releases will build the excitement
    3- It introduces a new generation to the phenomenon on the BIG screen where it's glory is absolutely maximized.

I don't think there's really a downside to this idea.

13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Whether they do it or not, I'm going to have my own marathon before seeing EPVII. The ONLY reason I saw TPM 3D version was just to see a SW movie on the Big Screen again, so if they do, I would love to see them, but I don't think they will. I think they will be as hush-hush as they can be to make fans salivate to see the new flick.

Echo-07 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You could very well be right. The idea of re-releases is a double-edged sword. It could build excitement or as you say starve the fans to build their hunger. Either way will work. However, like you, if there doesn't seem to be a re-release plan I will have my own marathon. Probably, I will watch TPM, AOTC, TCW complete seasons, ROTS, ANH, TESB and ROTJ in preparation!!! [face_laugh] It will probabaly take me two or more days to complete. :p

15. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008

Echo,

Yeah, I was gonna do that too, add in the TCW episodes before ROTS. I have all the iTunes (and DVDs/BRs) episodes as well. My wife is gonna go nuts, let me tell you :)

As for making the fans starve for the next flick, I'm already skin and bones, mentally, of course. I mean for the love of the Force, could they at least give us some news? Anything. BLAST!!!! =P~