Star Wars Readers(Books)

Discussion in 'Houston, TX' started by yoda4982, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am a big reader, and i love the Star Wars books, however its hard to find other readers in this area, that aren't 6 that just buy the books and never read them. so i decided to start this thread, unless it already exists. i am currently in the middle of the NJO, i am reading Jedi Eclipse of the Agents of Chaos duology.

so here i thought we could discusse books and things of that nature and if their are enough of us that come in and post to show their intrest, i thought starting a book clud or something with a Star Wars theme of course, would be fun.

tell me what you think.

Yoda
  2. Jaina_S_Fel Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't care what anybody says, I like NJO!
    And I like Jag Fel, "Captain Cardboard" or not.
    And I think "Traitor" may now be my fave Star Wars book.

-My initial two cents.
  3. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    i am in the middle of the NJO, but i am glad to have a fellow reader here, i have no two credits yet.

Yoda
  4. Briareos Jedi Knight

star 1
    Haven't read NJO - don't have time to read a 20 bazillion book series (too much gaming going on!)

Most of the EU books I've read are pretty decent - I read the Jedi Academy books, and the Thrawn trilogy and a few other novels. Children of the Jedi was pretty wonky, but still ended up ok. The only thing that bugs me about the EU books I've read so far is that they have this tendency to repeat dialogue from the movies verbatim. IMHO, there is a major difference between being "inspired by" the movies and "blatantly ripping dialogue" from the movies.

Another problem I've noticed with EU is that no one seems to know what to do with Han. He takes a back seat in quite a few of the novels I've read. Doesn't seem right to me.
  5. Jedi_Alman Jedi Master

star 4
    My count on the EU is up to about 70 books read. I have read all of the NJO, and I am waiting for Traitor to come out on Tuesday. If anyone knows if there is anywhere to get it earlier, I'd be very happy for the information...
  6. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well we have a total of four, hey thats cool, ummm, about traitor, i think you might be able to still get a copy at the book store in willowbrook mall, i know Barnes and noble sold out of it, the one on 1960 near champions.

speaking of that store, i just got Balance Point, on hardback, for 4.98, what a steal, and they have a lot left, i figured...get the hard back and i don't have to pay the price of the paperback which is like 7.50, just and FYI.

let me know if you guys want to start a book club or something, you know read and disscuss sort of thing.

Yoda
  7. mikel_antilles Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, my name is Mikel, and I am a fan of the NJO.

I have read pretty much all of the Star Wars Novels. I have just finished "Traitor". I liked it a lot, and I am interested to see how other authors are going to continue that story line
  8. goldbubbly Jedi Master

star 4
    i've read most of the books, there are very very few i haven't read. Warning though, my memory may be rusty at times 8-} I've read all the NJO and am eagerly awaiting the new book coming out in october.

Btw, has anyone read the njo e-books? i really want to get them...
  9. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    wow, it looks like we have alot of readers as the list grows by the day. Well i am trying to push my way thru Jedi Eclipse, its not that great, but i want to jump to Balance Point.

its really cool becasue i read the first 4 in 4 weeks or so, so i have been on over drive. I can't wait until tuesday when i can get my copy of DW.

Yoda
  10. Jedi_Alman Jedi Master

star 4
    I went all over the place looking for an early copy of DW. Don't bother, none of the stores even have it in the back. I don't know how much more of the NJO I am going to read though, depending on the fate of a certain character. I believe that this discussion belongs more in the Lit forum, though. BTW, FYI, Traitor is in stock aplenty at Barnes and Noble on 1960 now.
  11. obi-wannabe1 Jedi Master

star 4
    the e-books will be published in the paperbacks of the books they fit into. for example Recovery will be in the paperback of Star by Star and Ylesia will be in the Destiny's Way paperback. (i just wish they would print the Gamer and Insider short stories in book form).

I'm looking forward to Tatooine Ghost.
  12. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    no its does not belong in the lit forum becasue i was asking for those who are here in houston who read and might want to start a reading group or something.

Yoda
  13. AlexiAlexander Jedi Knight

star 2
    I want to join your clud!
    I am a SW novel afficinado. I love some and hate others and I especially love to talk about them. I am working on a critical essay about Corran Horn. It is annoying that so many people hate the guy. He is just misunderstood.
  14. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    i agree, i love corran horn, he is a real godd character and i think he is needed in the fics.

Welcome aboard...no offical club yet, but i am going to be talking to someone soon about it.

Yoda
  15. goldbubbly Jedi Master

star 4
    good that sounds like fun/interesting

Alex did you ever read traitor yet? 8-}
  16. Jedi_Alman Jedi Master

star 4
    Alex did you ever read traitor yet?

Yes, I have. And I assume you are talking about the 'spectre' thing. We have discussed this quite a bit in the FASFO thread on the lit forum. So it is still in the air for me.
  17. Darthmusic Jedi Master

star 1
    I haven't checked out what's been going on in a while so I thought I would chime in. I just picked up Destiny's Way at Walmart on 1960 and N. Eldridge. I've really enjoyed the NJO books and I can't wait to read this one after the way traitor ended. Overall I've like most of the books of which I have read and have them all. Some of them were boring and not to my taste but to each his own. I'd be interested in discussing some of the books with other people in Houston. The ones I like the most are anything Zahn and Michael Stackpole especially the Xwing series and I really like I Jedi.Corran is cool and he has the coolest jedi saber.
  18. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well guys it seems there are a lot of readers out there, how would you guys like to start a reading group, say we pick a book once a month and then meet, and disscuss and then pick another book and read and so on. i would like your thoughts on this too.

Yoda
  19. AlexiAlexander Jedi Knight

star 2
  20. Jedilane Jedi Master

star 1
    Oh Oh OH PICK ME PICK ME!!!

I have read all but just a few of the EU books (those being the Lando books and well the baby jedi books).

I LOVE THEM ALL. well I like them all. Some like Darksaber and Children of the Jedi were pukers, but for the most part I really like them.

Edit: Sorry, I meant Crystal Star was a puker, not COTJ.
  21. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well guys it looks like i am going to pick the book, umm if you have any sugestion on order or not, i thought if it was ok with all of ya'll(i am truly a Texan) we could start the NJO, since i am in the middle of it, i don't really care what we do, just so long as its a book.

so if you want we can start with Vector Prime by R.A. Salvator and then in one month we could disscus it.

tell me what you think, we could always do it different, i am open to your opinions

Yoda
  22. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    True Texans do not misspell y'all.
  23. yoda4982 Force Ghost

star 4
    so sorry, i don't spell it that much, and i believe a class of mine had and agrument over weather it was spelt Ya'll or Y'all.

Yoda
  24. Darthmusic Jedi Master

star 1
    That sounds good to me. I just finished Destiny's Way but I could still discuss Vector Prime since it's where it all started.
  25. Slowmo Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm a little late getting in on this one but...

I've read all of the Eu books except the young jedi knights series. I guess I should go catch up on those. They can't take more than 2 hours to read each one.

I'm hooked on the books. I usually buy them within a few days of their hitting the shelves and have them read by the end of the week.

Doug
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.