main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars reading list...

Discussion in 'Archive: York/Lancaster, PA' started by Rebel_Spook, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Thanks for the info, Scott! I'll add it to the 4 others I have on my Christmas list for my parents. If the only Star Wars stuff my family will buy for me is the books, I may as well let them get the ones I want, so I can spend my money on other SW stuff, like Unleasheds and such.

2. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    Holy Force Pike!! sw.com just posted the mother load on Episode III books coming out this April. All must go and check it out! Theres to many of them!

3. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    I'd like to report that Survivor's Quest is now out in paperback featuring the short story fool's bargain I believe.

Also I finished Jedi Trial and I gladly recommend it to all that like militeristic science fiction. There are a few problems with the novel though so and its 26 dollars. So if your short on cash get Hard Contact or Dark Rendezvous instead.

4. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I picked up Jedi Trial, Yoda: Dark Rendevous, and Medstar II: Jedi Healer on a return of a book I got for Christmas. I would have picked up Cestus Deception instead of Jedi Trial (as CD happens first chronologically), but the only copy that the store had was pretty banged up. I nearly got Hard Contact as well, but decided not to spend any money out of my pocket that day.

I now have a gift card to Borders to spend and I will likely get Cestus Deception, and Hard Contact, if the card isn't used up just buying Cestus Deception.

Thanks for the critique of Jedi Trial, Scott. I really like militaristic science fiction, so I ought to enjoy it. Though, you do have my interest piqued as to what the "few problems" are you mentioned.

5. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    The problems are nothing major but they are...
    Anakin is featured very much for the first 100 or so pages, some of the dialogue is goofy, and they sometimes consentrate on stuff like water consumption for troops a little to much.

6. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    I defintely recommend you pick up Hard Contact. I have started reading it and it has what I have been waiting for the most, clone trooper action!

Also does anyone but mostly you Dave read the SW comic books as they come out? Cause Republic 72, Empire 28 and Obsession #2 are now out. The Obsession series is out to a awesome start with lots of action. And the big fight coming between Durge and Anakin just excites the hell out of me. And if you want to know how Anakin gets the scar on his face for episode III you have to read Republic issue 71.

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    OK, I will pick up Hard Contact.

I have both of the Obsession issues, but I plan to wait for all of them to come out before I read them shortly before the premiere.

I haven't read my copies of the latest Empire or Republic as I have been busy since hitting the comic store. But will likely read them tomorrow.

8. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    I have some interesting news I found outmyself the other day, when visiting aaron allston's website he has listed that he will be appearing at Celebration 3. Aaron is the author of rebel dream and rebel stand in the NJO series, he has also written some fiction for insider.

9. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    As I am not in the NJO, I'm not too interested in Aaron Allston. Now, if Timothy Zahn was there, then I'd be interested!

I have finished Medstar II and Yoda: Dark Rendevous, and I am currently reading Jedi Trial. I was a bit disappointed in the ending for Y:DR, but I loved Medstar I and II. So far Jedi Trial is pretty good, though I am less than 1/4 of the way through it. I picked up Labyrinth of Evil a week or so ago and plan to read it as soon as I am done with Jedi Trial, unless anyone thinks I really need to go out, buy, and read Cestus Deception first.

I am reading the SW:eek:bsession comics now that we are nearing the movie release. Also, there is a new series (4 part) called SW:General Grievous that just started last week.

10. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I just found out that we have recent news about SW: Outbound Flight.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20050322.html

I must admit that I am very discouraged that they had to include Obi-Wan and Anakin in the book. If there were no survivors, as was stated in TTT, then how were they there?

Also, there is the full cover image, and I know that it is just an artist's impression of what Thrawn looks like, but it doesn't match the description of him from TTT.

11. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    Actually there were several survivors in outbound flight, if you read survivor's quest you will know how. But like you said I'm not even sure how Anakin or Obi wan could be involved in OBF when it clearly states in SO who the jedi were aboard and Anakin and Obi wan sure weren't either of them.

12. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I haven't had a chance to read Survivor's Quest yet. Great, sounds like even Zahn is rewriting his own history. I thought that part of the mystery of the Outbound Flight project was that no one knew what happened to it.

13. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    I already told rebelspook but I'll post this for any others that don't know yet, I was skimming over sw.com and the site has updated with Matt Stover's ROTS booktour. Other authors scheduled to sign are JW Rinzler, Karen Traviss, Aaron Allston, Troy Denning, and Timonthy Zahn are also gonna attend.

Heres a link to the page:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/publishing/f20050330/indexp4.html
    t.

PS I have also heard that Michael Stackpole will be ther also.

PS 2 About the general grievous comic, part 1 of 4 is already out and I must say that this comic is off to a weak start and I mean weak. The dialogue is bad, there isn't much of the general in the comic, and yoda looks like a dwarf. The only reason I could see anyone buying this comic is for being a completist (like me) So lets hope this story line can redeem itself in the next few issues.

14. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Gotta say that I agree with your assessment of SW:GG, I thought the dialogue was horrible in some places and that the plot is looking to be pretty lame. I enjoy the artwork, as I have liked Rick Leonardi since Spiderman 2099!

15. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    Well I just got SW:GG #2 and suprize suprize...this issue was crap to. Is it just me or is the dialogue getting worse as each issue goes by. roger roger... general grievous, no droid would say that, they would say roger roger and stop. Theres no point for the battle droid to repeat GG's name, we know who he is!

16. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I actually haven't had a chance to get to the Comic Store since two weeks before C3, so I haven't read GG#2. I had a feeling that it wouldn't change.

I am in the middle of reading Labyrinth of Evil, and should have it finished a few days ahead of the midnight premiere, so I can make sure I have everything I need to watch and see done before going to see ROTS.

17. kaele

kaele Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2001
    Does anyone have an idea of the order of the NJO books?

I moved a while back and everything's been sitting in a box. Before we moved, I had purchased a bunch but wasn't able to read them yet.

I wanna go through the box and hit them all, but I dislike reading them out of order. I know Vector Prime's the first, but after that, I'm lost. I also wanna make sure I'm not missing any in the order, at least up until the part where I bought till.

*grumbles* Didn't get to read Star by Star and friggin read a comment on a board somewhere and spoilt the book...

18. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
    The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
    The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
    The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
    The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
    The New Jedi Order: Balance Point
    The New Jedi Order: Recovery by Troy Denning
    The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
    The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
    The New Jedi Order: Star By Star
    The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
    The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
    The New Jedi Order: Enemy lines II: Rebel Stand
    The New Jedi Order: Traitor
    The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
    The New Jedi Order: Ylesia
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
    The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
    The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force

Now, this is a quick list I copied and cleaned up from the Literature Board, not my personal book collection as I do not own any NJO books.

19. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    There should also be a list of the NJO books in the front cover, the timeline, that should help. :)

20. bpickering

bpickering Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    should join the book club at SFBC.com they have all the NJO books that was sold as softcover as hardcovers at cheap price than the stores

21. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    Does anyone know if obession #5 is out, I haven't been able to get to the comic store in awhile.

22. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    It was supposed to be out before the movie, but I haven't seen it. I haven't been to a comic shop since Free Comic Book Day.

I'm not sure I even have Obsession #4, though I know I have #1-3.

23. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    Now that the joiner king is out has anyone picked it up and read it yet. I:m working on the NJO series right now but I'm interested in seeing what anyone thinks of it.

24. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Um, "Joiner King"?!? I haven't heard of this book, is it a SW novel? Where does it fall in the continuity?

25. Jedipete33

Jul 26, 2004
    The joiner king is book 1 of the post NJO series, the dark nest trilogy. Its out in stores now. The trilogy is being written by Troy Denning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.