main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.04: "Fighter Flight" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 13, 2014.

1. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    "He took it better then I thought he would."

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched it.

My least favorite episode so far. But still had its fun moments, including the aforementioned phone call to Kanan.

I get that this episode's purpose was to establish a budding relationship between Ezra and Zeb, and I appreciated it for that reason.

I also get that the show is trying for the tone of the OT, which I totally appreciate, but really, Disney, there is no reason to be so blatantly obvious. I felt like I was watching a montage of OT movie clips.

The farm blowing up. Some of the dialogue. The TIE. 'I don't think the Empire had Zeb in mind when they designed her, Chew...' Oh. Wait.

The Good:

Kanan and Hera's relationship. It's obviously moved beyond the oh-you're-so-hot-I-can't-get-enough-of-you stage and into an easy close relationship, which I continue to appreciate.

Hera being no-bull**** maternal.

Sabine letting Ezra know that he was not all that and a bag of organic corn chips. Someone needed to do it.

And I'm just going to say it: the slingshot. I kind of like it.

The Bad:

Chopper. No, Dave Filoni, he's not a cat. I like cats. Chopper is annoying.

...unless, of course, he's supposed to be a cat that wants to be fed NOW. In which case, point taken.

Ezra. Dude--Shut. The. ****. Up. He got almost no sympathy from me in this episode.

Sabine's right to make art wherever the hell she chooses. "I was inspired." Yeah, no. I hope Hera used playroom paint in the rooms on the Ghost.

Fruit. Why???? And hell, I liked Evil Plans.

Going with a 6/10 for this one.

Watto and Senator Kelberry like this.
  3. Save The Children

Save The Children Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2014
    The troopers missing Ezra at point blank range was indeed annoying as hell. One Jar Jar was enough, we dont need a dozen of them.

In regards to the comedy, I think there is too much. Every second shot was trying to be funny.

How did the Empire not find their ship when the locator beacon was still on mere seconds out?

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I know, and I'm sympathetic to what the writers were trying to do with the episode.

And it's not as if I'm looking for hyper-reality. I mean, Zeb just being able to catch Ezra and hold on to him at those speeds is impossible, but I wouldn't let something like that take me out of the moment.

But everyone's personal tolerance for the suspension of disbelief is different. And it's just that piloting any craft only twenty feet off the ground at such high speeds is so dangerous and difficult enough to begin with, even under 'ideal' conditions. Add to that doing it with an open canopy, upside down, while using your toes -- not only to support the full weight of two beings -- but to actually steer the vehicle and keep it aloft?!? :confused:

What can I say, it was just too much for me. :)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Some of the stuff from the shopping list Hera gives the guys is pretty hilarious, per the episode trivia gallery:

[​IMG]

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This episode has not appeared on iTunes yet. Does anyone happen to know why that is? I'm staying out of this thread to avoid spoilers, but if you know why the episode isn't on iTunes or if you know when it will be put up there, please PM me.

Thank you :)

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    What on earth is a riding ham?

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  9. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Space Waffles? Do they get that from the same places as the Space Soup or the Space Special?

10. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Is there a Space I-Hop?

11. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    So does anyone still have those pictures of the YT-1300 poster in Fighter Flight and the concept art of Zeb's room with the poster in it? The aurebesh on it says YT-1300, so I'd like to use it as canon evidence for the Light freighter Wookieepedia entry, but naturally they require a source on the information first. If anyone has the pictures I'd be very grateful.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Unfortunately, that is the American store and I reside in Canada =((

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah, probably can't help you there then.

14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    That's ok, I appreciate you trying to help. I'm sure it'll appear on the Canadian store at some point this week, just mildly impatient...[face_waiting]

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Poor Canada. Well at least you get the star wars exaction thing. before we do.

16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Stars Exaction? I can honestly say I have never heard of that.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

No I meant that costume thing that was in Canada realsently.

18. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Gen Rendar Reviews:

Today's Episode - Starwars Rebels: Fighter Flight(Season 1 - Episode 3 or is it Episode 4 I'm so confused about the episode numbering with this show. Everyone and every website seems to count it differently. Does the movie count as 1 episode or 2 episodes or not an episode at all)

Overall Impressions:
    Taken on it's own without any context given; this was a fun episode with a lot of good "small moments" (particularly character moments with Zeb and Ezra). This episode was well paced and well written. I was impressed with a lot of the directional "tricks" used to make the city feel larger than it was, and I appreciated the fact they made an effort to make the city seem alive, despite the fact they obviously have a limited amount of character models for the market scenes.

Overall, a fun, side-story style episode.

Critical View:
    While I feel this episode was more interesting than the last, I also felt it had even less to do with pushing the main plot forward. I know the show runners are laying the foundation for the characters, but this episode almost seemed like it could have been an extra long short(like the ones they released before the movie). I am assuming the show runners are trying to build slowly as we go along to give the show a natural feel, but I would have personally preferred a bit more focus this early on in the series.

Ever since the ending scene in the Movie where we see the Inquisitor, I've been anticipating his arrive, yet we haven't seen anything to remind us of him at all. I think a scene or two showing him or any thing to remind us, the Imperials are trying to track them down would have added a lot in my opinion.

Detailed Impression:
    Putting my critical view aside, there is a lot to like about this episode. I really enjoyed the fact we get to see several character arcs carry over from the previous episode.
    • The idea that Ezra is abusing the fact he saved Zeb is a great idea, and really helps build up the characters and their relationship.
    • Hera kicking them off the ship was great, and her way of going about things is pretty awesome. I like that we learn about her in subtle ways.
    • Chopper is kinda evil...I'm not sure how I feel about that. I thought he was just a joker at first, but now he's looking pretty jerkish.
    • The Ezra/Zeb radio conversation with Kannan was pretty great.
    • A small note I'm not sure if many people will notice, we learn that Ezra did have parents at some point, and people on the planet knew them. I hope this gets expanded on further in the future.
    • I really enjoyed the Ezra/Zeb bonding. The characters are really growing on me, which is obviously a good thing. The scene where Zeb hands Ezra the trooper helmet was nice.
    • Although it wasn't directly explained, I'm going to assume they didn't actually "crash" the TIE fighter and hid it somewhere. I eagerly anticipate it's return and Kannan's reaction to the fact they saved it.

Overall, Good episode. I really like how they are developing and presenting the characters, but I do hope the main plot progresses a bit more quickly as we go on.

19. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    anakinfansince1983

If you hated Ezra on this episode you're gonna despise him in the next one...

I'm still rooting for the kid but at some points I just want to punch him.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    At this point I'm expecting him to annoy me more often than not.

As long as he annoys the other characters as well, I'm good. :p

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    He's a teenage boy. Most times and in my experience they drove me up the wall with their stupidity. :p No offense to any teenagers on here.

I liked how he seems to annoy Sabine the most and she just ignores him and takes jabs at him like...

With that funny drawing of him and Zeb and calling them fools.

That's one reason I love her character so much.

Jax_the_Admiral likes this.
  22. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Oh yeah. They're not taking any crap from him so that's a positive.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Her blowing him off when he tried to get his Han Solo on, early in the episode, was most fun for me.

24. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Last episode had Kanan promising to start training Ezra, and the next episode.. has Zeb and Ezra shopping for fruit and stealing a TIE fighter. What's with putting off the Jedi training? It reminds me of the complaint people had of TCW, that it never showed Ahsoka actually being trained by Anakin. I know, I know. It's still early.

I hope the next episode focuses on someone else at least, preferably Kanan, I think we're good on Zeb for now.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    My favourite moment was when the Force music stirred and the lid on the fruit container started to tremble ... and then the stormtrooper just closed the lid. Nice subversion of the Big Force moment.

Vialco and Vthuil like this.