main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.06: "Breaking Ranks" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    I'd spit out my drink if I ever saw him become canon, that would be too good to be true.

2. ChrisMathersMU

ChrisMathersMU Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2014
    "Become" canon? I was under the impression Star Wars fell under what they call a "single canon" now. At least that's what I read Leland Chee talking about. I remember reading that and saying to myself "It's about damn time" - George was really starting to alienate his most loyal fans. But, well, you know...

In the last episode, they had a chance to destroy Luminara's canon in a BIG WAY and they didn't. Hopefully the writers looked at Reversal of Fortune and decided to do it out of respect instead of saying "That toilet paper's already been used. Let's not destroy it anymore." Then again, the whole Evil Barriss was more of a loose end than a rewrite. Like Prisoner Vader in TFU2. She might still have undiagnosed brain worm. Or Pong Krell put her under some kind of control. Whatever. Sounds like a job for Abel and Pablo - Team Retcon.[\spoiler]

Yeah, but all that nerd confusion aside, seeing Cadet Katarn would be awesome on a stick with a side order of fries.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Apparently...

Apparently, the academy sends the most exceptional talented students to the Emperor. Hints of a conspiracy to identity Force sensitive children, but I'm not sure. Not many spoilers for this episode

Cevan and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Sorry to to destroy your hopes but Katarn is not going to be in this episode.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The emperors hand worked like that so this is good.

6. ayures

ayures Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Shhhhh, let us dream.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I hope we see him.

8. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The EU was completely de-canonized earlier this year. Single canon means that basically everything they publish from now on will have the same canon status as the movies.

Kyle Katarn can only 'become canon' by being introduced in Rebels or one of the new novels.

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd be surprised if we see any actual characters from the EU in Rebels.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Well we already have sort of anyway the inquisitor is from a group in the EU.

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    True and I suspect Inquisitorious is now canon, but the character is completely different from those in the EU.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

and look at TCW they brought in characters and other things from the EU a lot.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, but that was pre-Disney

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I know but I bet we will se some old EU stuff.

15. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I wonder what Stormtrooper training is gonna be like...

Captain: "Cadets, you see that target in the distance?"

Cadets:"Yes sir!"

Captain:"Hit anywhere else but there!"

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Watch them be the greats shots ever.

17. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Dave Filoni is running the show who is pretty much the sole reason for all that EU stuff in Clone Wars since George didn't really favor EU. This should be no different.

18. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Is it any good? I've heard nothing about it.

19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I ordered it from Amazon a couple days ago, and it should be here Tuesday. In the meantime, check out this blog post by the author. Very interesting and different.

20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    So when are expecting this to be up online?

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Monday, 9:30 pm EST.

22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
  23. ChrisMathersMU

ChrisMathersMU Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2014
    Wow, really? Ouch. Just...my brain hurts. It's taking all my effort not to squeeze my eyes shut and have an aneurism. I know George liked to disrespect his own employees but they had writers to retcon all the big gaping holes he tore in his own plot back together with twine, adhesive and the will of the Force and those guys were GOOD at their job. In my day retcon meant "retroactive continuity" not "retroactive contradiction" but I guess somebody decided to start using the word fix to mean break and not tell everyone. Aloha.

Well, at least they've already recanonized Star Tours, Reversal of Fortune and everything with the ISB and Inquisitors in it. I hope they do Thrawn at some point.

But seriously, talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I hope this is only a temporary part of a necessary process, like backing up all your files. When did this happen? This is horrible if it's true. Before Lucas started doing things like killing off characters before their time, seeing a familiar character was a fan service. Now it's a cause from concern. Talking about a comic or game or episode used to be a discussion of what worked - nowadays it's an argument over what didn't. I don't like it. I mean I REALLY don't. I have been a Star Wars fan since 1997 when I first saw it at age 10. But ever since the Filoni Clone Wars the franchise had just gotten progressively more schizophrenic.

I've always been cautiously optimistic, however, and I remain so. I don't like de-canonizing ANYTHING after the fact, but the idea of a "single canon" is STILL a step in the right direction, and the more EU that gets drawn into it, the better. I was getting absolutely sick and tired of that g-canon, c-canon, t-canon crap. This ain't no superhero anime multiverse garbage and I'm glad they're acting like it less and less all the time. All they have to do is make sure JJ doesn't bring the walking carpet back from the grave and we're good.

Now, on to THIS episode. I like the concept, and I hope they address Imperial marksmanship. They might not exactly be elite snipers in the movies, but that whole "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" comment had to come from SOMEWHERE. Hopefully some high-ranking Academy commandant will get a Force choking for taking the army that won the Clone Wars and nerfing them into teddy bear fodder.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...So. Many. Facepalms.

cwustudent, cdgodin, Cevan and 3 others like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They did not win the clone wars with the STs those were the clones and if there are any clones left in the imperial army its few and far between.