main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Not sure if already mentioned, but the Rebels visual guide says the Empire looks down upon aliens....
    I also cannot remember if this was contentious in the new continuity.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Even better, he beat up Boba Fett.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So, caught up with it finally, and I really liked it. Some thoughts:

-I especially like the way the force has been portrayed.

-I originally thought that their underworld contact was going to be one of the charming rogue types, but given how often it was mentioned that they have no idea who he is selling the disrupters to, and his jerkishness in general, I get the feeling that he will eventually be a secondary villain.

Plus, his goons are droids, so they are extra blastible.

-I wonder why more fighters don't have rear firing guns. The Phantom's worked fine.

-I am most curious about Sabine's past at this point.

-When I suggested earlier that Fulcrum might be the senator in exile, the objection was that the senator's info lead them into a trap. Now that I have seen it, I would like to point out that Fulcrum's info has also often been bad in this show

-Speaking of Fulcrum's intel: I have to admit, I thought Sabine had a good point - why should she just "have faith" in the rebels when she had faith in the Empire and that faith was betrayed. Though I do understand how vital secrecy is for a small organization facing a much larger one.

-The Imperial troop transports are better at combat than the walkers.

-Why does an imperial minister need to take a public shuttle?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just not qualifying as a Jedi because of doing the whole Sith thing.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Minister Tua, like Governor Pryce, is a local government official. Her access to Imperial resources is presumably limited to whatever's already on Lothal: mostly stormies and a few TIEs.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hmm, interesting note. I think the only Imperial shuttlecraft we've actually seen so far have been attached to Kallus or the Inquisitor. Nothing on Lothal itself.

7. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    True. Kind of odd - you think a basic cargo ship/passenger transport would be fairly standard for a garrison.

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, the mission to gather the disruptors is presumably (at least nominally) illegal, so maybe it was a below-the-table dealing by the Minister, thus, she needed to keep a low profile and took civilian transport? Her Stormtroopers got there somehow as well, and they weren't aboard the transport, they met her on the planet.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Shuttles have always been weird. They signify either VIPs or generic cargo. Anything inbetween though? Nope.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Imperial garrisons in Commander have both Lambdas, Sentinels with a cargo module and AT-AT barges with hover-engines. I assume none of those were needed for this underhanded assignment since the Imperial Senate had ruled the disruptors to be illegal.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    A small aside: why did no one tell me about this?

[​IMG]

Zebulon Dak? Thall Joben?? WHAT

12. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    "Kill yourselves, you need to. Only one New Hope can there be..."

13. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    And look at the armament, "Dusat," as in " Jord Dusat," another reference to that Droids arc.

There are a lot of subtle and obscure EU references in Rebels so far, I think they've been cool. Others have been references to the old RPG, and TCW, and all sorts of great, small and background call-backs and nods.

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well there are Assault Shuttles for everything military ;)

15. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Any other specific ones you can name? That's pretty cool!

16. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Off of the top of my head, and some are well known enough I think they've probably been mentioned to some degree, but:

The look of Zeb's species is from not JUST Ralph McQuarrie designs for Chewbacca, but the design was also used for a NPC from an old West End Games RPG campaign book called "Tatooine Manhunt" from 1988 (I still have my brother's old copy from when I was a kid). Although the character is described as short and having a long tail, his face uses the old McQuarrie design that became Zeb/ the Lasat species' look. The character was called "Puggles Trodd." He was referenced in "Star Wars Adventure Journal # 11" and named as a Lasat, Zeb's species, in 1996.

The ISB, Imperial Security Bureau, also comes from the West End Games stuff too, mentioned as far back at the Star Wars the Roleplaying Game volume 1, as do the Inquisitors, who were first mentioned in the Star Wars Sourcebook.

The bar belonging to Ithorian "Old Jho" on Lothal in Rebels, in the episode Empire Day, has the gunship of Obi-Wan's battalion, the Crumb-Bomber, as a fixture/architectural feature coming out of the front of the bar. There is also graffiti of Cad Bane and Embo in Sabine's room in the Fighter Flight episode.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Illegal for civilians or the local planetary government, maybe, but if the Empire wants a shipment of disruptors what's to stop them from getting their way (besides Kanan)? The Empire is pretty much above the law...not that they'd ever create a law that would restrict what sort of weapons they themselves would have access to.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Its properly something left over from the days of the Old Republic, where the Senate had made them illegal, the Empire never changed the law, uses them, just does not want the galaxy at large knowing they do.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm maybe, but considering all the Republic traditions that Palpatine completely ran roughshod over on this way to power, I would think that legalizing disruptors for Imperial use would barely noticeable by comparison.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There's definite real-world precedent for authoritarian regimes choosing to ignore their own laws instead of just alter them. Though one major reason for that - international opinion - is admittedly missing in Star Wars.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Though it of course still has to deal with internal public opinion.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    According to Wookieepedia, some of the behind the scenes info from that episode states that the Empire's off-the-books mission to acquire illegal weaponry was deliberately designed to echo the statement in A New Hope that the Imperial Senate wouldn't approve of Vader boarding Leia's ship and arresting her. By showing the Empire having to go behind the Senate's back, it was apparently suggesting that the Senate still had some unspecified degree of oversight power that was worth the hassle of avoiding, and that the mention of their disapproval in ANH therefore wasn't an entirely meaningless threat. (At least, until the Senate was abolished, of course.)

I haven't actually seen the episode guide or any interviews that might be online, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I remember reading anyway.

23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    As Emperor, Palpatine can just issue an executive order to bypass that law. As long as the Senate doesn't have the will to stop him, it stays in effect.

.....not unlike situations going on today.....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Still, I get the impression that Palpatine doesn't want to do that too often...before the Death Star is ready anyway. Don't forget that the reaction in Episode 4 to the Senate's disbandment was an officer being stunned that Palpatine would do that, even with the Death Star. Besides, he probably doesn't have the time to go around giving executive orders for everything dodgy the Empire gets up to. I am not sure the matter of a few handheld weapons is enough for Palpatine to care or even know about.

In particular, in this case from what I understand the disruptors were developed as legal anti-vehicle weapons, Kallus got the idea to use them on people in the Lasat campaign, and the results were horrifying enough that the Imperial Senate banned them.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    In one of the EU books, the Millennium Falcon book I believe, the Imperial Senate banned planet destroying baradium bombs. An effort lead by Senator Organa, but I am sure that wouldn't stop the Empire from stockpiling baradium weapons in the Legends universe.