main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    What's it about? Is it Lothal-only like the last ones?

It is when it's an ongoing production. You seem to think of it as buying the license to a finished game. That's not what an MMORPG is. It's usually continuing on with updates, expansions etc.
    Disney can continue supporting an ongoing production with their money, or choose not to and end the game's development. That way they can get that development team over on canon game projects that their company wants to focus on. Simple as that. They can either keep TOR going, but as a Canon game, with whatever edits are needed. Or end it, since they said over and over again last year they're not going to continue the EU's development.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Checking Amazon Instant Video tonight.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, FWIW, you seem to be the only one who sees it that way.

cdgodin and Gorefiend like this.
  4. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, me and LFL apparently. Or rather, they don't know what their ongoing products are anymore:
    I think they should give TOR it's own category, "Money-canon". As long as it makes money... :p

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    TOR isn't LFL, it's EA. EA keeps it running because they desperately want to make good on a $200+ million investment, and LFL will let them keep going because they get a nice cut of the profits without actually losing money like they were when games like TFUII were all done in-house by Lucasarts. And EA could care less about the canonicity of it right now, they're more concerned with keeping players interested and keeping a cash flow coming in. The only ones who care about whether it's legends or canon are the fans.

cdgodin, Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Then why not just say that instead of embarrassing quotes like the above. At least I can respect a devotion to making money.Plus, the game is coming out with more expansions this year. If LFL wanted to devote more time and effort to their canon games, they should have shifted the teams over to that, instead of tying them up on this game. All the others are EA, too. Keep the license going, but refuse to update the game itself.

7. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    To be fair, those quotes were a while ago, at the beginning of us learning about Legends. And despite being part of the story group, Jennifer Heddle is at Del Rey, with the books, and not with EA or LucasArts. I feel like this is more ironed out now.

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    "Old Republic" doesn't just refer to a game, though. It's an entire Era. Isn't that what Heddle was talking about?

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Heddle is technically a LucasBooks employee, not DR, but yeah--that tweet was like two seconds after the announcement.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  10. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

I don't think so. I remember her also tweeting that she couldn't answer questions about video games, just that the books and comics were Legends.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I find it easier to interpret fragmentary ancient scrolls than to do so with Twitter.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

Please let me explain this to you. LFL has NOBODY working on TOR. Every single person working on it is EA. And, as stated above, EA wants to make money off of the investment they put into the game. And they also honestly don't give a **** about canon. They are all about making money.

DelRiego likes this.
  14. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It's not just a big pool of people who get to go in and say, "Hmmmm, what'll it be today, coworkers... scripting on The Old Republic? Or texture mapping on Battlefront?!"

Games are all at different phases of development, and I'd imagine the TOR team is pretty small at this point. Frankly once some of the new games are into the deeper stages, what you're describing will probably happen... but still, through all that, absolutely none of it has any correlation to canon.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    As well as on every other LFL SW game, minus the phone games.

So does Disney. Still made a new canon rule that wasn't necessary.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Relevance between canon and profits, represented as distances:

|---(Profits)--(Earth)-----(Moon)-----------------------------------------------------------(Mars)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Luke's Severed Hand)------------------------------------------------------------(Canon)---|

17. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

From a business standpoint, the Legends announcement makes perfect sense. You like the EU? We'll still sell it to you, just know that anything we make from now on will not be beholden to it. Do you not care about the EU and just want "official" canon? We have that for you too.

As for being necessary, unless you wanted TFA to be targeted only to members of this board and for it to flop and to never be followed up on again and for Star Wars to die out of the public consciousness, then yes, it was very necessary.

18. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    While the rule of LACWAC is that every thread will eventually devolve into the same argument about Ahsoka, the rule of Lit is that every thread will eventually devolve into the same argument about canon.

Cynical_Ben, DelRiego and DarthTalgus like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Between 2001 and 2012, the rule in Lit was "never debate canon."

I miss that rule.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ahsoka: does she contradict the Old Republic?

DarthTalgus likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Here's the big secret about TOR and FFG - LFL doesn't know how they fit into canon. And they're not going to tell you. Why should they? Blatant contradiction of material with the upcoming movies and the TV show isn't too likely. So for now, they're just not going to address it, and TOR and FFG are essentially going to do what they want.
    It can't last forever, obviously. But they're going to dodge addressing it as long as humanly possible.

One wonders why, then, LFL and Disney are worried about any sort of canon. I mean, it's not like they've abandoned the concept, right? That we're told again and again about the new canon? How everything is going to tie together? It's almost like they think it might result in bigger profits, or something.

Vthuil and Abadacus like this.
  22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I have noticed something similar on the classic trilogy section, I have seen people arguing for days, about who's the main villain in AHN Vader or Tarkin :p

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Three things:

(1) The first part of your comment is precisely what I mean when I say canon has no bearing on profits, because nobody's saying "OH NO! WE DON'T KNOW WHETHER THIS EXISTS OR NOT, HOW WILL WE EVER MAKE MONEY WITH THIS?!?!"

(2) If we're really talking about this (we're not, I was responding to someone else's very specific point), I wouldn't say we're being told again and again about the new canon. They told us once and now they only talk about it when they're asked about it. It is the after-est of afterthoughts of icing on the marketing cake---not something they're dumping money into with the expectation of continued payoff. The concept of canon isn't some sort of product which can be grown; it's just integrated into their workflow and it's only sold to you as a feature because apparently they can say it's a thing and it'll matter to someone somewhere, so why not say it? Yes, there are people working to coordinate things, but those are just licensing people and producers and it's probably 1% of their job at best.

(3) Either way, you're not responding to what you think you're responding to. I was responding to the presumably-36-year-old Brizzit gentleman who seemed to be suggesting that TOR would somehow become some massive money sink which drained Disney's pockets directly if they didn't hurry up and make it canon. In this instance, it's like I said: Canonicity has no bearing on profits. TOR is maintained by a division within a division of EA; if TOR at some point theoretically requires the slightest ounce of additional effort or money from Disney to function, they'll have their plug pulled instantly. That's what this tangent was about.

So Rebels...

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...is off this week. Carry on!

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008