main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Dude, rebel or redcoat, pick a side. :p

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well as you'd be a Loyaliast on one side you would probably be a Green Coat

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The term is Tory :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which itself is term which means Irish Rebel
    :p

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I literally don't even know which side that word applies to.

'merica.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Tories are Loyalists.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What were you doing in 1st grade??? :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I really want to answer that with "getting laid", but man, that's horrid even for me.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    8-}

Somehow, Coop, I guessed that would be your answer before I read it...

Stars, I've been around here way too long.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

They actually preferred the term Loyalist. Tory was considered derogatory, and not terrible accurate - most Loyalists were not so much a fan of the king and the idea of monarchy as they were opposed to being ruled by people who though tarring and feathering was an acceptable mode of political discourse.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I know -- but as he used redcoat instead of regular, the slangy term was a better fit.

As far as their views on the king, that's a little complicated by which Loyalists you're talking about. They were a diverse lot. Scottish loyalists (usually Presbyterian) had different views from Anglican one's, etc.

And even the Patriots were more bothered by parliament than the king, really -- Jefferson's denunciations not withstanding.

Works well with the old EU idea of the Emperor being popular but his commanders and ministers not so much.
    Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's a pretty prevalent (and problematic) trope throughout human history, really.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Don't fib.

Star Wars fans don't procreate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For some reason, I had gotten that impression way back when - wasn't there something in the ANH novelization to that effect?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Another galaxy, another time.
    The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that ... it was the Republic.
    Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.
    So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.
    Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.
    Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.
    Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.
    But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.
    From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples...

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Loyalists were Loyalists for largely different reasons, depending on who or Where they lived at the time or if their local enemies were Patriots or Loyalists themselves, which pretty much put them on the other side.

A famous Loyalist called Brown who led a Gurellia unit only became a Loyalist because the Patriots in his area tarred and feathered him, which as you can imagine he was not happy about.

ex Highlanders who had fought against the King as Jacobites in Scotland in 1745 were fighting for the King in 1775. While many a Lowlander Scot were visa versa.

You also had Provincial Aristocrats such as Washington who would be leading the side of Liberty yet at the end of the war be demanding the British send back all escaped slaves (including some of his own) who themselves found freedom with the British.

A classic example of area is in the South itself, many an escaped Slave would find freedom fighting for the British, whose own policy of offering freedom if they fought for them actually alienated many a person in the South against then for precisely that reason.

As for the King George 3rd, his role is a lot more complex than that.He certainly did not have as much power as portrayed and certainly had less than say Lincoln in the US civil War. In terms of Government policy or even having the Ministers to enforce it. For instance he had actually been against the Stamp act, which is seen as an attempt by him to impose rule on the Colonies.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Minor rant time...

So I don't want to bring up continuity debates here when the entirety of the debate was ultimately solved last year whether I liked it or not.

But I'm rewatching Idiot's Array now, and I'm almost blown away.

They take a film character (Lando) and yet manage to pen an entire script that not only doesn't openly contradict any major event previous material established about this period in his life, they openly referenced several elements that explicitly came from EU sources. His use of the Idiot's Array, his gambler tendencies, the idea that he was accused of cheating... the implied idea that he used his gambler's skills to make a fortune, and many of his numerous business schemes. Now it's left unmentioned whether or not he has the Falcon yet or not... but that one could really go either way.

Why is it so easy for them to create these EU friendly stories now when it's not even "canon" anymore!? This is almost the opposite of Clone Wars, where it so carefully weaves in references that you'd swear they're writing the script while browsing the Wook!

Not saying it's perfect... but I wish it had've been this easy during the TCW era. Can't complain though. I'm sure we'll go back to our normally non-canon novel busting ways by the next season and my now pointless mental retcon induced headaches will come back ;)

Arawn_Fenn, Revanfan1, Vthuil and 7 others like this.
  18. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    You answered your own question. During Clone Wars, the EU still mattered somewhat. With Disney and Rebels, the EU is dead, so the writers can cherry pick what they want to add back into the canon.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

...until something isn't.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... so that's why they ignored it and constantly contradicted it?

21. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    That too. :p

I did say somewhat.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

I don't know why this is still so confusing for people.

23. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

If you watch the DVD commentaries you find that at least 70% of the EU retcons in TCW were caused by George Lucas telling Dave Filoni "Hey, do this instead!"

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the TCW people made it pretty clear that they did their research and homework but then Lucas just said "cater to my random whim damn you."

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Except when it came to Ahsoka being killed off, in which case strangely Filoni rather than George got his way. Yet every other time it was Lucas ruining the show. Funny that.

seeker_two likes this.