main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    So all those "Save the Clone Wars" trolls on Facebook who said that Rebels represented the "Disneyfication" of Star Wars were actually right? ;)

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

They were not all trolls just butthurt.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's an era that does not need repeating. Nobody could dare say ANYTHING against TCW without getting screamed at.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, if I only had seen this... :(

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The best example I can think of is during the character madness tournament when the bracket went to Ahsoka vs Chewie.

Do. Not. DARE. admit that you voted for Chewie. [face_shame_on_you]

Emotions ran ridiculously high at that time. I thought people were over the top over the Firefly cancellation. (And I love Firefly.)

I mean, people liked the show, OK, and I think it was a damn shame that the Utapau arc was never fully animated. But...we got five seasons.

6. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    I might agree more if that was actually what Kanan and Ezra where like personality wise, but there not and there has been very little flipping around with lightsabers for them, they mostly have gotten by with other skills.

Now, of course you could argue that then there was no need to make them Jedi in the first place, but I would argue that it shows perfectly that Jedi characters can be done with more depth well and not come out boring or unlikable in the new era.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Absolutely, and the whole point of the OT is undone by virtue of the scores of Jedi who survived the purge because we can't not having superpowered ninjas in Star Wars. Apparently.

I would say that the show would be a thousand percent better if neither Kanan nor Ezra had force powers.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was fine with Kanan being an Order 66 survivor, but I wish Ezra were not Force-sensitive and they both definitely need to die before the OT time period.

Abadacus, Gorefiend and DelRiego like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well also, if Kanan was all worried about hiding it, pulling his Force penis out in the first episode was a bit of a let down. The story would be better served by Kanan constantly fighting his Force abilities and then, int he third season, reluctantly using them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, also incredibly boring.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Force penis."

OK, my mind has gone there more than once but I'm not sure I've ever put the thought together so succinctly. [face_laugh]

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    can I take credit for mutating the thanks obama meme? I think I was the first, right?

I need this

JoinTheSchwarz and DelRiego like this.
  13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Even better, if WE didn't know he was a Jedi. Maybe just Ezra and some storyline trying to get him to Kenobi or something.

But yeah, that's what made me reluctant on this show at first. I like my jedi extinct, thanks.

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

First episode.

"No, Kanan!"
    "Wannnnggggggg"

[​IMG]

15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Maybe not at first. But long after it was absolutely clear TCW wasn't coming back, and they were still there spamming the comments every time the Rebels page posted anything...yeah, they were trolls.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Not all of them at least.

17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    To make it clear, I'm not maligning all TCW fans (of which I am one) by any means, nor those who may have started STCW with noble intentions. By "trolls" I'm specifically referring to those who turned it into a harassment campaign later on.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Hey, it was easy to be mad when Fox basically never understood Firefly and started meddling with the show from the beginning, which is why a lighthearted episode, The Train Job, was the first episode that aired, even though the much darker two part episode, Serenity, (not to be confused with the sequel film) was the actual pilot.

Abadacus likes this.
  19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ah. The certain point of view tactic all LFL employees take even when they don't have to.

What annoys me is how we treat that line as anything other than nonsense. About 30 minutes after Obi Wan tells Anakin that only Sith deal in absolutes he tells Anakin that the Chancellor is evil. What, but an absolute judgment is that?

Was Obi Wan referring to the idea that only Sith rigidly categorize things and people while Jedi categorize things depending on context of the moment? What proof was there of that in the prequels? Who and what Palpatine considered an enemy always depended on the moment. One minute someone was his ally until the next when that someone was his enemy.

If the Jedi had no absolutes than what were they fighting for? Why fight the Emperor at all? Just get used to the changes coming in society and find a way to deal with it. They were only a threat because they fought for ideals, which if they didn't feel they should be absolute in some concrete way, they wouldn't have fought for and would not have been a threat.

It is Palpatine himself that accuses the Jedi of being dogmatic and rigid while proclaiming to embrace a larger view of the voice. If anything, Obi wan and Palpatine both accuse the other side of being rigidly dogmatic and there is some irony in that, but only Palpatine can legitimately claim that the Sith are not.

Filoni, let's leave Obi Wan's line as just what it is: and emotional, nonsensical line said in the heat of the moment that maybe adds a slight touch of irony to the story considering its what the Sith accuse the Jedi of being. (of course in reality being nothing but an awkward, parting backhanded insult at the Dick/Bush administration )

Let's just call it what it is: Yoda and Ben in their old age are liars that say what they need to in order to manipulate others into doing what they feel needs to be done. I'm completely okay with that. I even understand how, as people age, lying become easier than telling the truth when trying to navigating through life. Obi Wan and Yoda are imperfect, fallible individuals. I can accept that they lie. I don't think it makes lying right but I understand why people do it.

It makes the one (so far only Luke) Yoda and Obi Wan lie to seem even that more noble in the end.

What I don't need is a PR spin making the lies seem like something noble.

I'm perfectly happy with there being more Jedi and ignoring Yoda's line.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not buying Force and Destiny, are we?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't mind Kanan because my longest-lived WEG character was a Failed Jedi. :)

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, Ender Sai, you're citing WEG as a reason against having Jedi... but it had a whole selection of Force-using character types! Looking at Rebels through that lens was actually what helped me come around to accepting it having Jedi characters in the first place, before I even started watching it.

Although - the fact that he's a drunk in AND aside - I'd call Kanan closer to a Minor Jedi than a Failed Jedi, myself.

CooperTFN and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  23. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    So that ending was essentially the first season finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender mixed with the finale to Tron: Uprising, especially the very end. I loved every second.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  25. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I have nothing to add to this. BECAUSE IT WAS SOOOO AWESOME!