main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

That's a bad example, everyone with a connection to the internet knew that was bull hockey. But I understand your skepticism with producers and writers.

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I will say, that in the IGN interview is a more coherent view on Sith absolutes than I've seen in 10 years. One of them being there unwillingness to accept the idea of life after death. I like that viewpoint.

Funny considering what I said a few pages back. Finally, an idea of what Sith absolutes are in comparison to the Jedi. That's a viewpoint on the Sith and their ideas of absolutes I can agree with.

I didn't. In any case, that's not the only time I've had that reaction. I remember having it a few more times it's just that the Khan incident is the most recent one I remember.

It's when I thought "oh, I guess they're no longer just going to be vague about their answering and just outright lie."

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol did he really say that? That's kind of awesome. Glad he's fully aware how shocking brutal TCW was for a kid's show.

But then again, Sabine has a penchant for point-blank shots at stormies IN THE FACE so Rebels is kinda brutal too. After all, stormies aren't droids or even clones now.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Though there's been indications that not every stormtrooper that gets shot is actually killed. Crazy as it sounds, apparently their armor is actually worth something after all.

As for the creators lying to the audience discussion, the Khan thing is a bad example because J.J. Abrams is such a zealot about preventing spoilers, even when they're fairly obvious. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but of course he's going to lie rather than give away any possible information, especially information concerning a twist. I don't think an unsolicited "yes, he's definitely dead" comment from someone like Filoni is comparable.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Why do you think I made it my avatar? Blink and you miss it a lot of the times, but Sabine's a good shot who's not afraid to out and out bust a cap in a fool. The only one of the crew who's killed more on-screen than her is probably Chopper.

darskpine10 and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm kind of surprised then by now that no one has done an animation of stormie getting shot in face, the armour works fine, stormie replies with the SW version of a Magnum 357! Not to worry though, the blast may send her through a wall, but she's armoured too. From that point on they keep bringing in bigger and bigger guns to shoot...

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    CB, I honestly can't believe you'd have such a shocking display of face violence in your avatar like that. You should be ashamed.

MercenaryAce and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I saw a GIF over in the TV forum of that scene, actually.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I mean the Fulcrum thread over at TV has about 130 pages so I don't think we lost interest even though it was a circle of a discussion if I ever saw one.

10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Are you two kidding me right now? [face_laugh]

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished Rebel in the Ranks. Book 2 of the Servants of The Empire series by Jason Fry. Good series so far. Can't wait until Book 3.

jasonfry and Gorefiend like this.
  12. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    They were? I guess thats why everyone was okay with it?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    says the man who bases his Avatar off of a living severed Sith head.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  15. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I liked how the difference between Inquisitor and Sith is suggested through the Inquisitor choosing death. A Sith Lord would (literally and metaphorically) cling to existence with their last, most desperate effort, even if it meant experiencing hell for eternity.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, series is done for now - when's the region 2 DVD out?

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

18. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Indeed, the proud and powerful Maul sacrificing his dignity to becoming a cringing toad pleading for mercy is a good example of the Sith's all-consuming fear of death... although I'd argue a poor example of efforts to avoid death IU, given that pleading for mercy would only arguably (and nonetheless marginally) increase the probability of Palpatine sparing him. While such pleading could serve as Maul signalling to Palpatine that he values his own life sufficiently that he will do anything for Palpatine to spare him (perhaps including absolute subservience and loyalty, knowing that anything less will be insufficient for Palpatine to consider sparing him... which then becomes a rather interesting Newcomb-like game theoretic problem, but I digress...), Sith disdain for weakness (and all behaviours that signal weakness, such as begging for mercy) means that pleading for such from Palpatine might actually increase the chance Palpatine would kill him.

So yes, I question Maul's instrumental rationality here, but it certainly serves well enough as a meta-signal to the audience as to how desperate to escape death the Sith are. Which is not a fear I exactly find disagreeable or irrational, mind you.

Valin__Kenobi and Octavian Dibar like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Maul was cut in half and dropped more than a few stories. His return was insultingly stupid and therefore what we should be doing is being furious at the decision along with the name "Savage Oppress", for being deftly heavy handed.

Riv_Shiel, StrikerKOJ and Zeta1127 like this.
  20. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Or we could not do that and instead talk about how Maul and Vader are both examples of Sith clinging to life at all costs.

21. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Or celebrate how Maul became an actual character when he came back.

22. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Savage Oppress is a savage
    Darth Maul was better when he was more of a silent type in TPM(few lines) than talkative Scorpion Maul

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hence the "deft heavy hand" comment. In that, obviously, a heavy hand would not be deft (irony), and a savage and oppressive character being called Savage Oppress is in fact, savage and oppressive.

Maul might have been fleshed out but the daunting task of sending one's disbelief on a suicide mission was too much to ask. Why, pray tell, did it need to be Maul? No other reason than visuals. They had shown that despite the creative embolism of the prequels they could create memorable characters (Hondo, Cad Bane, Ashoka); why not in this instance? Of course, the baying at the moon insanity of latter-day-Lucas is probably at fault but still. Nadir of the series.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    In my opinion, the return of Darth Maul sidetracked the whole series, and took the focus away from the actual Clone Wars (Y'know, the title of the show?). I would have preferred it if they had left him dead and dedicated more time to making Asajj Ventress and General Grievous credible threats and interesting characters.

Given Filoni's comments I don't see The Inquisitor making a return, so that's good. However, there will have to be some more mid-tier villains to fill in for him. Kallus can't keep up with the Rebels just by his lonesome!

Valin__Kenobi and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Bringing Maul back was a terrible idea, probably the worst one in TCW, that wound up being handled in a way that actually approached decent at times. I still think the final Mandalore arc, culminating in The Lawless, is about the pinnacle of what TCW could do: utterly ridiculous things that turned out entertaining because of great visuals and voice performances. Seriously, Maul, the Black Sun and other crime groups to not only take over Mandalore, but lead them all in opposition to both the Republic and the Separatists? Obi-Wan's estranged girlfriend dying in his arms? Palpatine utterly cleaning house dual-wielding lightsabers? It's like a fifteen year old's fanfiction brought to life.