main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The other problem is that a failed, but almost successful attack, will reveal the weakness and force the Empire to try and find some way of fixing it.

Jedi Knight Fett, Vialco and Kablob like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Luke was an existential threat to the Empire, but because of who and what he was -- not merely because he was a Jedi.

The Empire took down the Jedi in her infancy. After consolidation, the Emperor has Inquisitors and many more resources at his disposal. He surely takes Jedi seriously -- but run of the mill Jedi aren't nearly as alarming.

More importantly though, this show is about the spark of Rebellion. It's a theme we saw in the pilot and in the first Tarkin episode. The threat isn't some unwashed padawans, but that this group of different people working together can inspire and unite with others doing the same. That presents the threat that creates a unified Alliance that -- to make an analogy to the UK -- "punches above its weight." Together, they're more of a threat than apart.

Without the Rebellion to put Luke in a position to matter, the Empire doesn't fall. Without a Rebellion to take over after Luke does what he does, the Empire doesn't fall. The Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic -- there's gotta be somebody restoring that Republic for Luke's task to matter.

The secular Rebellion is absolutely essential to give Luke's destiny meaning and context.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Congratulations, you've got Jello arguing in favor of the Rebellion--I hope you're all happy.

4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, isn't that how Leia got the plans in the first place, someone transmitted them to her ship?
    There is the whole theme of "plans essential for the survival of the Rebellion" going on in the first film after all. Luke being alive is one thing, the rebellion being alive is a whole lot more important in the larger scheme of things.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I happen to *like* the Rebellion! Part of what makes the OT so fun is its great villains. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG]

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Truly the greatest threat of the Empire lay in their advanced charcoal-rendering technology.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I think its fan art ;) just did not have another Mon Mothma wanted poster handy.

9. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    If the EU was any indication, EVERYBODY had a copy of the Death Star plans.....

Ender Sai, Vthuil and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Somebody at Maw Installation accidentally hit "reply all" when forwarding the plans.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That...

...actually makes so much sense, it's scary. [face_laugh]

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Likely Daala given her track record. [face_whistling]

Vialco likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    But why would she have so many rebels on her email list? To tuant them?

.........Or she was actually pro-Rebel the entire time and everyone she did was in order to make the Empire look bad and undermine its strength.

14. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Instagram.....Daala had a lot of followers.....esp. after she posted the Spring Break pics of her & Tarkin.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_sick]

I feel like that's a good way to lose all your followers. And get Instagram shut down by the COMPNOR Coalition for Progress :p

16. seeker_two

Jan 3, 2003
    Not when Isard is holding the holocamera....

Darth_Garak and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm reading a New Dawn and although light hearted, this conversation and that book reminds me of what I dislike in the EU. Modern earth counterparts in space fantasy.

I hope against hope there's no Instagram in Star Wars. Because that would mean the GFFA has a Kim Kardashian and I was just getting back into Star Wars you guys...

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't you mean, uh, Starla Novadrive or something? :p

Also, I originally read that as "modern earth countertops" and I was like "man, Ender's really judgmental about his space kitchens."

Anyway, I generally agree that it tends to be "too cute" and it pulls the audience out of the narrative. It might work for YA lit, like with the Galaxy of Fear books treating the Holonet like the early internet but it can easily be taken too far.

That said, Jason Fry's latest book had what is clearly a SW social media analog that was subtle, not in your face e.g. "Spacebook" or something, and seamlessly part of the narrative. That's the way you build your setting. WEG was good at that very same thing too.

Gorefiend, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I missed that detail and thought Ender was referring to Kanan living over the bar.

I was too busy paying attention to Kanan's humorous cynical "**** all of you" attitude to pay much attention to, well, anything else.

Except Vidian, because he's a freak, but makes a better villain than Kanye West.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't like him so far, and he's at odds with Tarkin, Kallus, and the Inquisitor. That he's an "efficiency expert" is one of those decidedly modern concepts that doesn't really fit with the antiquity-with-blasters theme of Star Wars.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Funny, Vidian actually felt like a really classic Star Wars villain to me. As in, straight out of the original Marvel comics.

I mean, yeah, I have no particular fixation on Star Wars having to be a retro universe anyway, in no small part because it's not like the founding material was trying to make it that way in the first place. Lucas may have been writing space fantasy, but I'd bet money that the lack of interconnected communication in WEG's galaxy wasn't so much because they wanted it that way as because they didn't see the information age coming in real life. But honestly, he really does feel very much like a traditional Star Wars villain; the efficiency expert thing is just a gimmick.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The mixing of corporations and politics has always been a heavy part of SW, from the corruption described in ANH's background material to WEG's depictions of the Imperial economic engines. And let's not forget things like the Corporate Sector, either.

A corporate efficiency expert is a modern thing, but it fits right in too. It's a little zany and cartoony that the Emperor would send this huckster over to actually... do stuff, but I think that's exactly why it works. It's silly and I think it's meant to be silly.

It's just that this guy's silly role masks the fact that he is a sinister individual, and he is part of a dehumanizing mechanical approach to the Empire's acquisition of rawmats to drive its immense military engine. Straight out of WEG, I tell you.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But that the info age isn't in Star Wars is a massive positive and great story telling opportunity. It's fantasy, there should be elements given to elaborate systems over Star Wars Wikipedia in-universe.

Iello; sure, but their approach reminded me more of say Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) in South East Asia than it did of Apple or Google. It's very much mercantile class capitalism, so having an efficiency expert pandering to anti-business concerns today is just jarringly inconsistent.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I agree that WEG's approach to nationalized corporations was definitely mercantilist in nature. But there were echoes of Stalinism as well, and JJM has stated that he intended the vibe for the Empire in his novel to feel very Soviet. In that vein, while Vidian does remind one of some Silicon Valley guru or something, he can be mentally adjusted to be a roving Soviet commissar (or heck, French Revolutionary commissar -- Citizen Chauvelin would make a great ISB agent).

I agree that SW should feel more historical in its antecedents than contemporary. I didn't get that modern-ish vibe from Vidian's actual conduct, though I do agree that the word "efficiency expert" in itself is definitely evoking the modern real world instead of the historical real world.

Gorefiend, Iron_lord and DoubleSith like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've said more than once since the reboot that I greatly prefer the Empire's shift from Space Nazis to Space Soviets, so I would agree that came across.

Iron_lord likes this.