main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, anything which tries to make Anakin into Jesus other than the Virgin birth is REALLY stretching things.

Though you could make an argument he was like some mythologies version of Lucifer.

Really, as divine births go, Anakin is closest to Herakles in that he was a really-really psychologically disturbed sort of hero with severe emotional issues and rages.

However, Herakles atones and ascends to join the gods in the end anyway.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Embarrassingly, it took me ten books before I realised it was darkfriend and not darkfiend.

The interesting thing, if we're going the Arthurian route, is that Vader more closely aligns with Merlin than he does either of the Pendragons.

Kid born of a virgin (with RotS hinting that the Sith were the incubi) plagued by prophetic dreams with uber magic powers... who winds up imprisoned thanks to his obsesssion with a woman. :p

I don't disagree with any of this.

Charlemagne19 and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bonus points, my friend read the entire series and didn't realize until I mentioned it that a Forsaken had been free all the time wasn't a huge twist (as he thought it was).

I mentioned we knew one was because one talks to Lewis Therin in the Prologue after they've all been imprisoned.

:D

Anyway, I *REALLY* like Rebels. I do think someone on the writing staff is a West End Gamer, though. All the nods can't be coincidence.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Woot, 30,000 posts!

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    RE the odd hats, keep in mind it's still a styalized art style. Look at Vader's mask, it looks like something out of the oldest McQuarrie artwork, all angles and lines. They're probably modeled after that.

Vthuil, darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm sceptical if these female inquisitor is Barriss - I honestly think Filoni wouldn't waste her character and would be bolder with her inclusion into this era.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Except, of course, this is the LEAD Star Wars Expanded Universe material. Second only in importance to the films.

Something which is hard for a lot of litters to really....accept....but this is pretty huge.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I have no overwhelming desire for Anakin to be some unprecedented moral paragon, but given that Ventress is already kind of a gray area (pun not intended but acknowledged), I think it's easy to view "start down the dark path" in Yoda's context as "Sith" specifically. On the playing field Yoda's operating on, Inquisitors barely even register--they're dark side hobbyists compared to what Vader signed up for.

In any event, I don't exactly want Barriss defecting, but I wouldn't mind her going out on a last-second backpedal a la Jacen.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I also think Yoda speaks in Zen wisdom and Christian parables, neither of which is EVER meant to be taken as absolute fact.

Yoda is saying. "once you start rationalizing evil, it consumes your life."

Not exactly a huge-huge statement, just a warning about losing your perspective.

pepoluan and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's like alcoholism--you CAN stop, but you're never really cured.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Theoretically, new comics, new novels, new TV, and new films, are all on the same level.

In practice, a lot more focus will be on films, followed by TV.

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And in practice, the television show will be seen and merchandised far far more than any comic or book.

spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Round 2 of this?
    [​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I also think Yoda is just trying to drill into Luke's head that Vader would be more interested in corrupting than killing him.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, everything he and Obi say to Luke is the Jedi Scared Straight program.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be OK with BomberBarriss Inquisitorous but I'd rather see a new character.

As far as Asajj, redeem her if that's what they want but keep her badass.

Good_News_Nobody likes this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair point. And I can roll with that.

Though, really, it's not got much of anything to do with making Anakin a moral paragon. I'm just rather enamored with the notion that his personal triumph over the dark side is a large part of what brings the Force back into balance.

More, even, than his killing of Palpatine.

Because then it doesn't matter if the Sith return, or some new dark side group takes their place.

He wasn't special because he was the latest Jedi to defeat the biggest baddest dark sider, he was special for being the Jedi who -- with the aid of his son -- defeated the dark side, itself. The guy who forever shattered the illusion that it is ever "too late".

And who showed that you don't have to be a moral paragon to do the right thing.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  19. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I'd rather see Ventress discover that Palpatine was the man behind her downfall. When she goes gunning for revenge, Vader becomes her first target.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it's this guy named Dave something something. :p

As for your comment on aristocracy, while I appreciate our perennial sparring in the matter of nobility that's really not the issue here. Being styled "lord" doesn't make them nobles, and the term "Lord Vader" always struck me as a theocratic title. We learn in TPM (as far as canon goes) that it refers to the position of Sith Lord: a distinctly religious title.

What you're saying is that somebody so utterly broken by war that she resorts to terrorism will also become a cultist. That she's capable of killing Jedi I don't dispute, but that doesn't necessarily make her Inquisitor material.

Could Vader or the Emperor exploit it? Sure -- that's kind of their thing ("Bury your feelings deep down..."). It's plausible. But I'm saying that it's not as simple as one leads to the other.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, it should have been played out 2 -10 years after RotS. Rebels is no place for old TCW era grudges.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Agreed. That's why I'm glad Vader took out Obi-Wan the day after RotS. :p

23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

So that's what happens when you replace the Old Testament with the first half of Le Morte D'Arthur.

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Not for lack of trying. :D

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Vader is the Fisher King and Luke, Percival. [face_not_talking]

Charlemagne19 and whiskers like this.