main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yes but i thought you were talking about book!Arya but then you clarified you were talking about tv!Arya and that book!Arya was fine and i agreed with you there.

i know what they were going for, it's still annoying. tbh the word spunky should probably be banned from general usage

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Erza is the new Asohka for Rebels [face_laugh] bye bye TCW

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

actually i disagree with you. Morals are not outdated, they are more important than ever. I think it is encouraging that we have a Twilek character that rises above the culture known for being sex dancers and whores. Now Aayla and a few others in Star Wars lore have redeemed this, but most of the culture is scum. Just like most Aqualish are scum, and most Rodians are mercenary scum. Not all, but most. So i am alos relieved that we have a non human character playing a major role and rising above her culture's station. hear hear!!

VanishingReality likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm not sure I would agree with the sentiment that Twi'lek's "station" is "whore". Aside from the language, I also disagree because that species features so prominently in the mythos; we have Twi'lek Jedi, Twi'lek Sith, Twi'lek spies and mercenaries, we have Twi'lek politicians and lawyers and pilots. So, no, I disagree.

8. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    If you mean by Filoni's pet character, I have the feeling it's Sabine. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the daughter of Bo-Katan and niece of Satine.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Filoni's pet character and/or the Can-Do-No-Wrong character.

I'm concerned that it's Ezra as well. Although it very well could be Sabine.

10. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I also love her character design since I couldn't stand it when Jedi like Aayla Secura and Ahsoka dressed in the most impractical of ways. Hera would have even less excuse to because not only is she always going to be in battles where she is going to need a practical outfit, but she doesn't have the force that I know of so nothing to excuse a conspicuous lack of armor, and we already KNOW that Rebel Alliance pilots wear orange flight suits.

That said I bet a trillion credits Hera gets to wear a slave outfit on one mission. It IS Filoni.

11. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    "She's the heart of the crew", I like the sound of that. Sounds to me she will be the voice of reason within the group, and that's good considering the more "extreme" personalties might clash or rile each other up. I think i would be happy with her as the leader or joint command with Kanan.It's refreshing that we have a main female pilot character, for some odd reason that wasn't the focus in the movies. Sure we know Leia and Padme could fly but we never really get to see them show their worth. Makes me wonder why they couldn't include those scenes with female Rebel pilots in RotJ.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Female characters in fiction, especially genre fiction, are routinely portrayed in a cynically overly-sexualized manner designed mainly to appeal to heterosexual boys and men, often to the exclusion of any other defining character traits.

However, dressing or acting a certain a way doesn't automatically make you a "slut" or a "whore", and thinking and speaking that way is just as harmful to society as the objectification of women.

And calling an entire culture "scum" because of the "sex dancers and whores", while entirely neglecting to mention the patriarchal slaver culture that forces many Twi'lek women into those situations, is extremely wrongheaded and even offensive, because it implies you look at the real world the same way.

13. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yes nice to see practical dress on all the characters.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also: "sex dancer"? :confused:

15. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    How does being rounded up and coerced into sex slavery make them scum?

And Rodians? The way their homeland culture is described in the Wook makes them seem pretty metal. You want scum? Look in the mirror. 80% of the out and out @$$holes that we've seen in the Galaxy have been humans.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I tell you, all these sex dancers and drug criminals are ruining the neighborhood. It's going so's that you can't even go down to the malt shop to get a soda without having some manner of smut shoved into your face by some tripped out long-hair.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also: an outfit is not a "moral". Mother Teresa in a bikini is not suddenly a worse person.

Gamiel, Revanfan1, Contessa and 6 others like this.
  18. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    Star Wars does turn alien species into "planet of hats" from just a small sample. Like Muuns are greedy and Gungans are kind of stupid. Obi-wan described everyone in mos eisley as "a hive of scum and villiany" - a horrible sweeping generalization that really implies how Obi-wan looks at the real world.
    (Or, you know, they're quoting a movie)

Gharlane likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...even granting for a moment that Jar Jar is technically "stupid", what Gungan other than him has ever been portrayed as not totally competent?

As for Mos Eisley, there's a difference between saying "bad people hang out in this place" and "species X is all bad people".

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Understood. I wrote my posts relatively quickly before I went to work, normally I don't use terms like that. Mia Mesharad, I apologize if my posts came off as needlessly crass. I tend to say wrong things unintentionally. :(

My actual point, now that I have time to ponder what words to use, was my appreciation for the breaking of a common stereotype. Twi'leks, no matter what their profession is, tend to be dressed more provocatively than more species for a variety of reasons whether they're dancers or not (Aayla Secura, Darth Talon, Cut Laquane's wife from TCW), and I appreciate the fact that Rebels is willing to break from the norm a bit and have Hera wear a standard orange flightsuit and what appears to be light body armor. I didn't mean to make a comment on women's rights or profession vs. predilection or anything like that. I used the wrong words to make my point and I apologize.

21. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    Idk the names of any gungans aside from Boss Nass, but they are still so similar that the dark Jedi one that works for Dooku really stuck out as awesome. I personally like the idea that there are differences shown within species instead of them being similar and honestly, I did find Twi-leks boring and generic before Hera bc I thought their character designs were too often repeated.

I also disagree that not liking how a certain species is portrayed in sw makes you a horrible person irl it's just an opinion.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, I think you'll find that they have distant alien ancestry. It's true. That's what the local COMPNOR office said. 8-}

Unless the bikini is a Sith artifact like the Muur Talisman. Totally possible.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Well, Boss Nass is weak-minded enough to be fooled by a Jedi Mind Trick. He also makes Jar Jar a general even though he clearly isn't qualified.

And Captain Tarpals seems like a competent enough dude, though he acted kind of dumb when Jar Jar made the completely reasonable choice to surrender when unarmed and surrounded by dozens of battle droids pointing blasters at them.

All in all, though, the Gungans are clearly an intelligent, well-organized people. Just look at all the technology they're able to employ in their underwater cities and in their army.

And speaking of Jar Jar, I think that in some ways, he actually comes off as a reasonably intelligent, relatable guy in TPM. It's just that his over-the-top, cartoonish clumsiness and questionable way of speaking distracted from that.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Tarpals is my hero. Never forget.

Revanfan1, JackG and CooperTFN like this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Mine is General Ceel. I'd say never forget, but it's too late.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.