main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Can't say I like it.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He meant that as a reference to Coruscant Nights, I believe. I, and several others, drew parallels between the CN trilogy and Rebels, and in those parallels that makes Ezra to be Kajin Savaros, a young Force sensitive discovered by Jax Pavan (Kanan). In CN III, Kaj basically uses the Force to make an Inquisitor disintegrate. For those who missed the parallels:

Jax = Kanan (Jedi survivor of O66)
    Kaj = Ezra (Force sensitive 14-year-old street rat)
    Laranth = Hera (green skinned Twi'lek ally)
    Den Dhur = Zeb (alien companion)
    I-Five = Chopper (droid companion)
    Sacha = Sabine (spunky female human)

The only one who you really have to force into a parallel is Sabine, and I think at the time that this parallel was created, no one knew about Sabine yet. Sabine and Sacha only fit because they're human females, otherwise there's no other resemblance, but I guess that's the case for Zeb/Den and I-Five/Chopper, too. Even Hera/Laranth would be stretching it if they were not both green-skinned female Twi'leks.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Racist. :p

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He asked. [face_plain]

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It's kind of like how Obi-Wan and Anakin are Han and Luke and Padme is Leia. You know, like that.

Dark Lady Mara and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I see
    Just wondering: how many Dark side points did Kaj get for disintegrating that Inquisitor?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol he wielding a keyblade there.

Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    The score sounds like it could be amazing.

I loathed the Kiner arrangement of the Star Wars theme for TCW at first but it's since really grown on me.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    "Oh-ho, he said that, did he?" Looks like dear Hera is just as sarcastic as the others!

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We need as much of her as we can get.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sarcasm doesn't work for everybody but it seemed Chopper was the uppity one.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no interest in a show without sarcasm.

We need more Chopper too.

As I said in the TV forum, I want a scene in which he goes into one of those places that doesn't allow droids.

I want to see the ensuing ****storm when they try to stop him from coming in. It will be hilarious.

14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I am still not impressed with the animation, but I said that about TCW from the beginning.

I hope that's all it is...

Character design itself is more or less fine, but we've lost quite a bit of the realistic depth that TCW seemed to have. Most notably, that ship just... flies so awkwardly.

Still, I'm giving it time. I really, really want to like this show in the end.

Oh, and I do hope we see Imperial Center at least once in awhile. Sure, don't show it every episode... but... I wanna see it in the OT era/Dark Times at least sometimes. ;(

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Baby steps, friend. Baby steps. Let's not jump to Imperial Center right in the first few episodes. And the animation looks fine to me, a lot more fluid than TCW was at the beginning of its run. Remember, a CG show's animation tends to get better as it goes on and the animators get more comfortable with the characters and models. TCW's animation, by the end of its run, was some of the best stuff ever done in CG for a TV show. Rebels, since it's avoiding the Thunderbirds homage, will probably wind up looking even better.

As for the Ghost, I chalk it up as an OT homage. It's not meant to look sleek or slick, it's like the Falcon. Awkward and ungainly.

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I think the ship is not flying awkwardly, it's just the odd camera zooms and slides making it feel that way.

18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm really excited about Kiner returning--I wouldn't even have been completely distressed if he'd had to take over for Williams for VII. (Thank the Maker he didn't have to, though.)

Also, this is my first exposure to Chopper--that guy is just hilarious. And his astro-speak is brilliantly designed; you get the distinct impression you've just heard the foulest possible language with no words whatsoever.

TC

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I'm looking forward to the Rebel fanfare being in Rebels.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Psh. Everyone knows Jar Jar is Han.

Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Jar Jar is Chewbacca because the prequel trilogy is a completely unoriginal rehash of the OT.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Well, there's actually some truth to the Chewbacca thing as well. He's a loner who gets roped into the adventure against his will, provides the heroes with a means of transportation, and doesn't believe in the Force, so in that way he's like Han. But he's also a primary comic relief character and a funny animal sidekick character. He's like a combination of Han Solo, C-3PO, and Chewbacca. And of course Satan himself, according to some.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    How can Chewie not believe in the Force when he's BFFs with Yoda?

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Chewie has been pro-Force for a long time now, even if Han hasn't been. It came up in the Crispin trilogy a few times, which actually makes him knowing Yoda in the prequels actually fit better than just a random cameo.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Either that or he hit his head on the Falcon's hatch between the trilogies. Really hard.

Anyway, Chewie is the one to come up with the "old fossil" snark (if we're to believe Han's translation), so maybe there's some lingering disappointment that Yoda and the Jedi hadn't been the big heroes Tarfful had always spoken about, but rather had to flee from their own army and left Kashyykk to be burned and enslaved for tweo decades. Where was BFF Yoda when Chewie was put into chains by those trooper guys?