main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I am so looking forward to seeing more Edna Mode in this movie.

seeker_two, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No.

As for all the child/adult stuff, I'm not saying adults can't watch kids' movies. One Disney movie I'm still happy to rewatch is the old live-action The Swiss Family Robinson, which I loved as a kid and which has castaways building a giant treehouse and tigers and fighting pirates and tigers fighting pirates. I enjoy the nostalgia and it still aligns with my interests. I would not be against rewatching The Lion King, The Jungle Book, or Aladdin, because I'm sure they would still have the capacity to entertain me. Kids' movies aren't bad. But they're something I'll seek out when I have kids to watch them with. I don't care about them now -- or perhaps more accurately, I don't care about 99% of them nearly as much as I care about other stuff more.

Frozen doesn't grab me, and I just don't spend my time on entertainment that doesn't grab me right away. If I'm not sold, I pass, because there's a world of stuff out there I'm already sold on that I can go out and see. I don't care if Orange Is the New Black is good, because if I'm going to devote my time to watching a TV series I'm going to prioritize catching up on The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Arrested Development, etc., etc. first, because they interest me and the description of OITNB and the reviews I've seen of it do nothing for me. Is Frozen good? I don't know. I'll concede that it is. But even so, it's not my thing. I will watch very good musicals about princesses right after I've watched every old film noir B-movie there is, because one of those is my thing and one isn't.

I'm still happily enjoying all the things I enjoyed as a kid that I still enjoy as an adult. I just reread all my old Jules Verne books and some other adventure stories and frankly I like them even better as an adult. I love movies like The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Three/Four Musketeers that I never saw as a kid but are like what I liked as a kid and would have loved as a kid and love even more now. I'm also enjoying things that I had no idea about or wasn't into as a kid like Chandler, Hammett, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Wes Anderson movies, The Godfather, that are part of my adult tastes. I'm just saying that I don't still enjoy everything I enjoyed as a kid, and I don't seek out kid stuff that doesn't appeal to me (and frankly, as a kid I was never that into contemporary kiddie stuff either . . . I watched far more classic sitcoms than kid TV, and liked reading all-ages/adult-but-accessible stuff like the EU, classics like Verne and The Three Musketeers and Robinson Crusoe and The Yearling that were adult books that just became considered kid-friendly reading over time, and Tom Clancy and Michael Crichton novels far more than YA reading). And as a result I find this weird millennial-cultural attitude of OMG GUYS LET'S ALL GET TOGETHER AND SING SONGS FROM MULAN AREN'T DISNEY-BRANDED ANIMATED FILMS THE GREATEST SHARED CULTURAL EXPERIENCE WE HAVE LET'S ALL RUSH OUT TO SEE THE NEWEST PRINCESS MOVIE QUICK to be bizarre. I just can't relate to it.

Also I like pissing off Jello.
    You love me and you know it.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I love Swiss Family Robinson. My grandma recorded it onto an old VHS tape when I was about six and we'd watch it all the time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Good news - I have Wurms of Blearmouth, the latest Bauchelain and Korbal Broach tale.

Bad news - publisher has changed the paperback size so it no longer fits in neatly with the earlier ones! Bastard!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suspect that this is the real reason, despite all that verbiage about having finite time to watch all these movies and shows.

But you've doomed yourself. I now know the way to get you to watch Frozen is to have kids. I'll mastermind a way for you to meet some sort of woman, who will then marry you and bear your children. Then you will have no choice but to watch Frozen!

My plan is flawless.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I see the storm rages on.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The cold never--NO! I WON'T DO IT!!

[​IMG]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Zor -- I couldn't keep it in. Heaven knows I tried.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Sounds like an episode of Maury.

I'll comment on the social thread once I seen both Tangled and Frozen. but Trip has a point. The praise given to Frozen might set my expectations unreasonably high. Both the latest X-men n Apesfilm I didn't care for despite the critical consensus and word of mouth. So we will see.

Anyway Rebels, so is there a good chance that Kanan gets killed off by the Inquisitor ?

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched it last year or the year before and it has held up imo.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was wondering when someone was going to get us back on topic, Matt. :p

Right now I'm hoping that if Kanan gets killed off, they save it for the end of season 2 or so. I suppose it depends on how long Freddie Prinze Jr. wants to voice him.

Not opposed to the idea of him or any of the other characters getting killed off though, especially as the Inquisitor is supposed to be presented as a genuine threat.

13. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Well since Jello has an infatuation with Frozen, I'll be the responsible one. :p

hehehe....me being responsible, what a turn of events.

Was it you or someone else who wanted Ezra dead ?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't remember saying that I wanted him dead but I may have. :p

15. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Oh hell!

Well I think I have yet to see if the character is a well flesh out teenager(Spectacular Spider-man & Young Justice) or an annoying brat. Then again *looks at avatar* I'm okay with whiny kids who grow up and mature into adulthood. So far Sabine, Hera, Ezra, and Chopper look to be the most intriguing of the bunch.

I'm happy to hear Kanan won't be as invincible as some people suspect.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm hesitant about expecting any of them to be offed quickly-- if at all.

I mean, look at Ahsoka. She. Should. Have. Died. But she's still alive... somewhere... doing something. Maybe had the show not been axed, they'd have cleared up her fate, but she was always too young to be likely to get killed off-- as even if Anakin slaughters that room of kids in ROTS, it's different when they're just nameless extras, rather than a major character that kids will have grown attached to.

Kanan is older, so... killing him off isn't quite as hard, but they'd need to set up some comparable male leads first, as Ezra is currently too young to fill the same role that Kanan presumably will, so I imagine it wouldn't happen until some way down to line. He's gotta recover the Death Star Plans first, after all. :p

17. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah I wouldn't expect a major death until 2-3 seasons deep.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's my take. I'm hoping Ezra is a fun character as opposed to an annoying superpowered teenager in whom the other characters are in awe of his precociousness.

If he becomes the latter, I'll probably hope he goes out like a punk.

As far as Ahsoka, she absolutely should have died, and further contributed to Anakin's fear of losing people.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    They had two choices when they wrote Ahsoka's arc, as I see it. They could've either used her fate to contribute to Anakin's fear of losing people, or contributing to his distrust of the Jedi Order. They used the wrong one.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Hardeen arc did a good job at contributing to Anakin's distrust in the Council. I almost always defend the Council but they pissed me off with that one, as did Obi-Wan.

That final Ahsoka arc did nothing though. The only sentiment I was left with was "Don't let the door of the Temple hit you in the ass on the way out."

21. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Seeing the failures of the Old Jedi Order made me see how far they strayed from their path.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought everyone was acting completely out of character in that arc. There was some really "A: My Name Is Alex"-level character development there.

(Yeah, that's a somewhat obscure reference. For those that didn't grow up in the 80s, that was the name of a critically-acclaimed episode of "Family Ties" where Michael J. Fox's character has to struggle to cope with the death of his best friend. A best friend that we had never seen or heard of, and was never referenced again. Similarly, there was nothing in prior episodes of CWAS that hinted at any of the weird characterizations that most of the characters in that arc were displaying. )

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's another discussion altogether. :p

They had gotten set in their ways and may have been a bit too confident due to not being challenged in so long but I also think that, both IU and OOU, they have been unfairly demonized and blamed for events that weren't their fault.

blackmyron : [face_love]

Long time Family Ties fan here.

Riv_Shiel, blackmyron and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Ahsoka's final arc was way too rushed. They didn't set up any of the events previously, and the actual events of the episodes themselves feel real forced because of it. I got the impression that they wanted to rush it out and cram it in before A. the series ended and B. George prevailed on Filoni to have Ahsoka die in the events of RotS. The Lawless filled a similar role, tying up several characters and ongoing plots, but did it much better because all of the elements involved had been developed and shown in detail through the third and fourth seasons. Everything in the series finale, especially Barris' face-heel-turn, was dropped on us out of nowhere, meaning that the arc itself rested solely on how attached the audience was to Ahsoka. It was a hurt/comfort fanfic between her and the viewers.

One thing I know about Greg Weisman and Simon Kinberg is that both of them are extremely into foreshadowing and playing the long game with plots. I doubt that anything with Rebels will be as poorly executed as Ahsoka playing Cool Hand Luke was.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Best description of that arc EVER.