main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well... two things:

First, it's John Hickman, the Marvel writer I was referring to. Him and Rick Remender usually top lists of favorite potential writers for Star Wars comic.

And Margaret Weis turned down writing a Star Wars novel years ago, because she hated how Vader ended up.

" I don’t even recognize Return of the Jedi as existing." - Margaret Weis

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hickman's too busy with whatever the hell is happening to the Avengers.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted the Banking Clan to be Separatist or neutral.

Those episodes were just an excuse for Bail to get shot at, and Padme to give a resounding speech that would inspire the entire populace of multiple galaxies to lay down their weapons and sing Kumbaya with Satine.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Lucas couldn't make up his mind about anything regarding the Separatists - who they consisted of, what role the Separatist Council played...

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Trade Federation as well.

6. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Fett did kill a couple of Jedi and a monster before Windu sucker-punched him....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    After getting run over by a Space!rhino no less. I think anyone would find that disorienting.
    And that Windu was either the best or the second best lightsaber guy in the entire order, so that matters too.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I found Jango's death kind of strange. What did he think was going to happen?

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I think he thought he was going to fly away while shooting at Mace like he did to Obi-Wan earlier, only he didn't realize his jetpack was broken. You can see the jetpack spark as Fett was backing away from Mace.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the neutrality of the TF and the BC was one stupid thing but even that is passable next to the notion of the future Emperor-who-likes-control-of-everything giving up control of industry, and pushing for it. Yeah your whole political analogy thing is really stupid when you're trying to make Palpatine a libertarian :p

It's just sad when Padme isn't the stupidest person in an episode.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jello.

You are talking TCW, a show which managed to make the prequels less terrible. That doesn't mean it was great in and of itself; if you put a stick next to a turd, of course the stick will look wonderful.

13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I think that is one of the problems when someone's only defining personality trait is evil - they just do whatever pisses off the author today, regardless of any kind of consistency.

And it is really funny considering the novel for A New Hope had people complaining about him over-regulating and nationalizing companies.

(I mean, it can work and the EU did make it work by presenting it as him favoring pet companies over their competitors, but still)

Valin__Kenobi and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If anything Palpy would absolutely favour tariffs and not free trade.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly -- he ran a very tight ship. When things weren't outright nationalized, they were at least heavily regulated. That some companies had sweetheart military contracts didn't mean that he was in favor of the invisible hand (*cough*) -- it was basically the opposite.

Dirgisme might be an accurate conception: the Empire wasn't centrally-planned or anything like that, but it was far more than an administrative state. There was quite a bit of fascist corporatism too (I hesitate to use that word because people think corporatist = capitalist = free market, but I don't think present company is liable to be confused).

Well, TCW was really weird. It was sometimes really good and it was sometimes really bad. It had no middle setting. Its best episodes were when it tried to be creative and interesting, or channel a classic feel. The clone episodes -- despite my distaste for anything to do with fandalorianism or stormie fans -- were generally good. The Younglings arc was excellent.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was under the impression that Palpatine had the banks deregulated as part of a plan to later regulate the banks moreso than ever before. Season 6's Clovis arc seems to support my theory.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but that was when people who understood neither commerce, economics, banking or politics wrote the scripts.

Strictly speaking Jello is correct. In order to fund the massive military budget associated with keeping the Empire going, tariffs would have been the most effective way as they form a taxation on the flow of goods without really appearing to tax ordinary citizens. Remember, you have to create an environment where someone like Han Solo, a smuggler, can flourish.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    But wait, didn't you hear? Thanks to Disney, Keldabe will be replaced by Jangoville. A space theme park dedicated to the best totally-not-and-never-was-a-Mandalorian to ever don that stolen armor!

And Boba Fett will be the Mayor. Or a clown. Or both.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Still better than the Mando stuff in the books.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Oh I know (though he only killed Coleman Trebor and that pretty much by shooting him in the back) but I just find the disdainful face Mace is making way to amusing to not post it. :p

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  21. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005

My theory on the whole deregulation thing is that due to the Ruusan Reformation, banks were forbidden to provide significant loans for a Republic military. Such regulation would have been designed to give the Senate less means to fund an army, therefore drastically limiting the possibility of the Republic starting another full-scale war. So if such restrictions were lifted, that would remove one less obstacle towards letting the galactic corporations contribute to Palpatine's military-industrial complex.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
  23. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The Rebels presser is going on right now, and the liveblog on the OS has some nice tidbits. Apparently, everyone in the recording booth acts like their roles: Vanessa Marshall, who is Hera, is the maternal one checking that everyone has snacks and drinks, and everyone picks on Taylor Gray, the voice of Ezra. And they all agree that Vanessa is the biggest nerd on the cast. Also of note: lightsaber fights will be rare occurrences, meant to have impact like the fights in the OT. Link for the curious.

EDIT:
    They're certainly getting their money's worth having Steve Blum in the studio. [face_love]

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR YOUR DREAMS WILL COME TRUE

edit:

Look what got an update: http://sienarfleetsystems.com/

WMIRTUTSF, cdgodin, CooperTFN and 4 others like this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    From the audience QA: Audience member: "Can we expect any Clone Wars characters to make cameos?" Filoni: “A lot of people ask me that. I super appreciate it…All I can say is that, let’s be honest, it would probably be insane for me to create that show and for absolutely nobody to show up. But at the same time I feel very strongly that these new characters need to stand on their own…”

DelRiego likes this.