main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Da-amn, how did I miss that they have Jason Isaacs on board as the Inquisitor!

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Seriously, it's pretty great.

Now he's trying to capture Jedi instead of the Avatar.

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd have said "Now he's trying to catch Jedi instead of Peter Pan :D

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Now he's trying to catch Jedi instead of Harry Potter.

6. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    Now he's trying to catch Jedi instead of Mel Gibson.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ye gods, the Patriot was a horror movie in every sense of the word but I love Isaacs line:

"The rules of war? Would you like a lesson?"

You forgot the picture!

[​IMG]

TrandoJedi, DoubleSith, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    ...doubled.

Zorrixor and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Never seen the picture before.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, not watched Stargate SG-1? It was a fun show, did some cool stuff too and didn't take itself too seriously.

Kylun and Abadacus like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    But what does it have to do with Jason Isaacs?

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Always been meaning to get into it.

I was being a smart-alek to JB since he said he just found out Isaacs was in Rebels. Indeed. How did he miss that? Then people started listing roles he did before.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It takes a little time to get going in season 1, but the finale is pretty strong, by the time you get to season 4-5, it's storming.

Kylun, TrandoJedi and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    As I'm reading A New Dawn I'm really looking forward to seeing Kanan and Hera, Ezra skepticism still stands.

(Oh, and Stargate SG1 is my favorite TV show...of all time.)

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  16. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Forgive me if I misread the article, but is the argument for the Empire looking foolish in Rebels that in universe, nobody sees the Empire looking foolish except the Rebels? So it's ok?

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    By that logic, the Empire are also good guys, because only the Rebels see them doing bad things, but really, the rest of them are nice guys. :p

DelRiego and Abadacus like this.
  18. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    In where you say "horror" I take it you mean "overblown emotional ahistorical faux-patriotic dribble"..:p

And yeah Jason Isaacs is a solid actor..

SO
    Instead of "catching" skinnies...erm somalis
    He'll catch Jedis
    "were at the ten yard line,you'll need my stormtroopers!"

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

In one respect this, or you could look at it this way: The Rebels have to get lucky every time, the Empire only has to get lucky once and the Rebels victories are insignificant anyway.

Or, to invoke Jello's line: The Empire is victorious on all fronts!

It's also a necessary evil of the story: Extremely efficient Imperials neutralise rebel cell = no show!

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

Except that's been proven wrong by many excellent shows. The Alliance in Firefly was terrifyingly effective, and we understood why our heroes ran at the first sign of them (much like the OT). The Peacekeepers on Farscape were self-awarely hammish and mookish when appropriate, but we never forgot that they were elite soldiers who presented a very real danger to the heroes. The list could go on.
    Even Stargate SG-1 gleefully embraced the "enemy mooks who can't hit anything" trope, but still made them feel like dignified warriors who could be taken seriously.

I'm tempted to do a breakdown of where these shows and others could offer lessons to Rebels, but I think it's best to wait until I've seen a few episodes.
    If anything, a Star Wars product should raise my expectations, not lower them. Quite a few of my favorite shows have nailed this, I won't be holding Rebels to a lesser standard if it fails here - especially since Stormtroopers are more iconic than Alliance, PKs and Jaffa combined.

Edit: Farscape-wise, I'd rather Inquisitor = Scorpius and Stormies = PK Retrieval Squad than Inquisitor = Crais and Stormies = Three Stooges.

21. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014
    Jaffa have some pretty sick helmets, though.

Abadacus likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not seeing how we're in conflict here? Save for my being more optimistic than you?

It could be said the Peacekeepers and Jaffa were, by the standards being advocated here, were also rendered as fools and failures!

What I'm also not getting, at this point, is how you're slagging a show that hasn't even aired!

Jedi Princess likes this.
  23. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014
    The difference is in the feelings/emotions demonstrated by the "heroes". In all of the aforementioned examples, while the heroes obviously "won" most of the engagements in the interest of keeping the story moving, they were generally Bat-**** scared of the villains most of the time. Any time the group of heroes went out on a mission and encountered the "enemy" it was always a moment of "Oh crap, things got very dangerous and we are moments away from being boned."

Where mine (and apparently others) distaste for what has been shown in Rebels, is the casual manner in which they respond to the Empire. It seems to range from mild irritation to outright glee at the prospect of having to face off with the enemy. It never looks like the characters feel like they are in any danger, so why should I, the viewer, feel for the characters?

Valin__Kenobi and Abadacus like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So far what has been shown is practically bugger all! Short shots here, few minutes of footage here and there and, on the basis of that, you're prepared to write the entire show off?

25. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I'm arguing the difference is that they - as the outnumbering and far more powerful force - all allowed the show to continue by not killing or capturing (once and for all) the heroes without appearing as unthreatening or undignified as the Empire seems to look in Rebels; as a counter to your argument that if they were more threatening or competent, they would capture/kill the heroes and the show would be over.
    A related point is with regards to other people hearing about their victories: The reputation of Moya's crew having escaped the PKs, eluded them, and burnt a whole Gammak Base spreads far and wide, but it doesn't make the PKs look incompetant, it makes Moya's crew look badass (even when they don't quite live up to the reputation.)

I don't like to think I'm being pessimistic - intro shorts are intended to sell the product, and they're all we have to go on so far. My tentative judgement based on them is that Rebels will make Stormtroopers look like a three stooges routine. That isn't the end of the world, or even surprising, but it's a blow against a coherent, believable and well-told canonical portfolio in my opinion, and certainly not what I was hoping for from the newest major Star Wars product, and possibly the highest-profile one leading up to the ST.

StrikerKOJ likes this.