main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 3, 2015.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Good point on the delineation, though I would think that there are probably people of both position.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I take the latter position myself, because it's all fiction and I care more about my own enjoyment than any officiality, but I think it would be hard to argue if someone at Disney/LFL made a statement about an official story.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I take the labels don't matter position. Company and Fans can say whatever they like. I am going to do what I like.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Canon to me is whatever Disney/Lucasfilm says it is. Their universe, their rules. The official story that all new works will abide by.

That said, I do have a "personal canon" of sorts that also includes the TCW Dark Horse Legends comics.

pepoluan and Pfluegermeister like this.
  5. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm more of a "Never let canon get in the way of a good story" kind of guy.....

6. HayaMika

HayaMika Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 14, 2015
    i am still a new fan compared to the lot of you, but i can say ive gained a "i dont really care whats canon or not this franchise is too big to worry about it all" kind of attitude towards star wars in my little time being involved with the fandom...

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I can understand why and honestly I don't see why so many buy into a sell gimmick but whatever. I have learned to ignore the canon only harpers. :)

sarlaccsaurs-rex and HayaMika like this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea but there has to be a reasonable limit, otherwise you have infantile chaos. I think we should use facts and evidence(canonical sources primarily and non-canonical if making a point to try and support a specific argument or whatever calls for EU/now Legends). I do think all statements must be backed up by reliable sources and making unsupported or poorly supported claims, particularly if they're controversial should be considered trolling/spamming.

pepoluan and jabberwalkie like this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I used to like the old canon and how the authors made a game of trying to retcon every mistake. It was fun while it lasted.

But I like the new stuff. Didn't think I would, but it works. Probably because a lot of the same drivers are at the wheel. Vehicle looks different, though.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I really don't understand the "well, in my own canon..." argument. It's meaningless. And some take the position as a sign of protest; almost implying Disney is trying to destroy Star Wars and they *must* defend it.

11. ObsGryphon

ObsGryphon Jedi Padawan star 1

May 8, 2015
    I'm getting déjà vu here. I swear I've seen this discussion before in a different forum of a totally different universe. Oh wait... where am I again? :D

12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    The question if something is canon or not is fine if we are discussing the direction the new canon material is heading (characters, storylines etc.).
    But we should never start a personal war with it. Everybody has their own tastes and canonicity does not equal quality. The EU had good and bad stories, and the new canon will also have good and bad stories.

To bring this back on topic... ;)
    ...what do you think, when will we get the titles of the first episodes of Season 2?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If someone is making the claim that "Ahsoka and Jar-Jar were childhood friends" or some such, a claim that could be proven or disproven with source material, then I agree with you, it's fair to ask where the hell that happened and ask for a source.

On another site several years ago, a poster made the claim that Obi-Wan had twin children and gave their names. When asked for a source, it turns out she read it in a fanfic.

She could have certainly made the claim that "in my head canon Obi-Wan fathered twins" but I would say this is a situation in which the official story counts.

But many statements here are matters of taste/opinion about whether a show or movie, a character, or a plot point worked for an individual poster. These statements do not need to be backed up with any "evidence" from "official" sources.

It's going to be a long wait from June to October if the new season starts at the same time last season did, but maybe with more episodes, it will start earlier?

So I'm guessing August for the titles? Don't know though.

pepoluan and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If you're making controversial poorly supported or not supported at all statements that are based within the official canon then yes it should be backed up - we can only go by their accepted fictional reality the rest never happened until they decide this and that occurred and make it official/canonical. There is a difference between their truth i.e. canon and the non-canon, legends, heresy, fan-fiction an apocrypha whatever. So one opinion/taste is not as good another, as one opinion could be based on facts, the other nonsense such as head canon. There is major differences, especially during specific debates, heated debates and arguments. Facts and truth should always prevail, that is common sense and real world, otherwise you'd have chaos and nobody graduating school properly.

Octavian Dibar likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure where we're disagreeing here, unless you are arguing that a person MUST not find Jar-Jar annoying unless he/she can "prove" that Jar-Jar is "objectively" annoying--which would be impossible, as being annoying is a subjective measure in and of itself.

I don't find Jar-Jar annoying but a lot of people do, and they are not required to explain their reasons to me and retract them if I choose not to find them "valid."

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I take it like this its all fiction so who the **** cares really its just fiction.

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Exactly. Every time I read about canon debates, it's basically about which is more real than the other, always.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    For many if not most people, the concept of "canon", which carries the idea of a consistent backstory, is part of suspension of disbelief (without which, nearly ALL fantastic fiction will fail sooner or later). Stories that adhere to canon (or explain why what they are doing is not really a violation thereof) are more believable to the audience (particularly the experienced audience who has been following along) than some story that randomly changes things just to fit the needs of the immediate plot.

Jedi Knight Fett and cwustudent like this.
  19. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    podjazd likes this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    You don't need a 'label' to create consistency though. That's why the canon war doesn't hold any water. :p

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I'll grant you a partial technical point there. The words "canon" and "consistent" are often used interchangeably, and are functionally intertwined to a great degree. When referring to "consistent", the questions that is begged is "consistent with what?" The short answer is consistent with the backstory, those events which have occurred within the property previous to that point, ie, the "canon".

The problems creep in where the canon is inconsistent, often times due to sloppy standards by those in charge of managing the property. There are two major divisions of canonicity: inclusive and exclusive. "Exclusive" canon holds that there are a limited number of "official" depictions of the franchise that make up "what has really happened".

Paramount has/had a strict, tightly held policy on Star Trek canon: only the official serieses and movies are "real" Star Trek, with the Animated Series in the past excluded (though that may have changed...debate on the matter continues).

Lucasfilm pre-Disney is often held up as an example of "inclusive" canon, due to the admittance of tie-in media such as the novels, RPGs, etc to some sort of "official" status. Technically, however, Lucasfilm's old canon was still "exclusive", because fan products such as fanfilms, fanfic, etc were never part of the recognized material.

The Old Lucasfilm canon became somewhat of a mess, because, while there was some effort at at least maintaining tonal consistency, even the "keeper of the Holocron" wasn't enough to prevent writers in differing media (comics vs novels, for example) from taking differing approaches to the same subjects. That's why Disney has changed the canon ruling to include ONLY those materials on the List as "real" Star Wars, and instituted the Story Group to guide writers across all media from this point on in keeping everything together properly.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He got Force-choked for stealing Vader's cruiser and driving it into the Imperial Palace while yelling "Now THIS is pod racing!"

...no, seriously, I agree with you. Please no.

24. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Vader found him and thought he needed a throat hug? I can run with that. In fact, it may already be in my head canon....

EECHUUTA and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

I dont think Old Lucas was so clear since we had a tier system.