main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    To answer your question more directly...

Sabine was cheating in a training exercise and not taking it seriously. Instead of trying to become better at sword fighting she relied on cheap tricks to catch Ezra off guard. That is why Kanan put his foot down and showed her how easily he could kill her. It was important to shatter the illusion of the vambraces pretty early so that she didn't come to rely on them to win.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I said it earlier....Sabine needs to learn how to use the Darksaber by itself before integrating it into her arsenal. Once she has mastered it then she melds that weapon and skill in with her other weapons and skills. For example using the tether to grab and pull someone towards her and using the saber to gut them.

3. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    lol they would never show that on this show

Vialco likes this.
  4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Depends what you mean by show. We had a double decapitation in Season 1. Fifth Brother throws his lightsaber down a corridor filled with civilians in Season 2. If the plot calls for something gruesome, they can do it. They just have to be creative with what is actually seen on screen.

DarthAnakin96 and MandoArtist like this.
  5. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Disney disapprove of gore, but they don't disapprove of death. Death isn't something they've shy'd from when it is required.

You don't NEED to see it, anyways. This show is no less violent than TCW with how people actually die. Aresko and Seventh Sister were decaptiated, Grand Inquisitor was incinerated, Fifth Brother was sliced across the torso...just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

One of the major critiques of this show I see is it is "childish" with how it handles death. Uh, no...you just want to see people get butchered. I recommend Game Of Thrones or The Walking Dead for that.

6. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    This. I couldn't agree more. Kinda makes me wonder why people are so bloodthirsty.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Hitchcock style. I almost prefer my horror that way. Unless showing everything is the point (gruesome transformations like Goldblum in The Fly or the monster in the Thing) i'd argue its more impactful to not show the audience everything.(just a drain in Psycho, just a fin in Jaws, just a bunch of shrieks in Jurassic Park's opening scene. All scenes are masterpieces).

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sabine's character just keeps getting better and better.

9. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    It isn't childish because its not gruesome. Its childish because of things like Ezra saying "Oh they are in trouble." When Sabine goes to fight the storm troopers, then he exclaims "BOOM!" when she throws a grenade. I mean the entire character of chopper is childish. I can pull out so many more examples of why this show is childish that has nothing to do with violence.
    And I know clone wars vs Rebels debates are not allowed, but since you brought it up, and I believe I am justified with an answer. No, this show is no where near as brutal as the clone wars. This show pales in comparison to the mature themes and moments that were put in the clone wars specifically for older fans.
    **(edited out because misread comment)**
    I love this show, but it is not TCW, and that's a good thing, so stop trying to justify the show to major TCW fans, we can like both for the different shows that they are.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well in a battle, especially against an organization like the Empire, you don't get points by "playing fair." You either win, or you die. So Sabine, has the right idea here.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

I don't think the vambraces are an "illusion". They're clearly effective. It was exactly what Kanan said "training and discipline is more critical". he'd have said the same to a new padawan who just learned how to force push. New tricks and toys are great, but can't do all the work for you.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Regards the maturity argument, one thing Iv always found crazy about this show and many other American shows (I say American specifically as British shows are different in this), is that you can have a 16yr old kill Imperials by the dozen but he can't kiss a girl :)

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Indeed, but to be fair, Ezra never really had a chance anyways so far. :p

14. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that that's less it being "too mature," and more "we think that a big chunk of the audience that watches this show just isn't interesting in overt romance like that." I mean they could at least show Kanan and Hera kiss once.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That's completely true. You can also see it on adult shows to where the character is not aloud to say the F word, but they are aloud show the most horrible deaths ever.

Although that's not something I want to see on Rebels mind you.

fett 4 likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The Marvel Netflix shows are funny in that regard. They're on Netflix, and show a lot more overt bloody violence, mature themes, sex, etc. But apparently they're:

-Not allowed to say the F-word. They can swear, but not say that word (which is funny because the very first line of the Jessica Jones comic that her show is based on has her dropping an F-bomb).

-No onscreen nudity.

I gave up trying to figure out where the "lines" are drawn when it comes to these matters long ago.

MandaloreRex2015 and fett 4 like this.
  17. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    That would be inter-species romance, the HORROR xD

18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It's pretty ridiculous that the show will be off the air for a month. They should've premiered Ghosts of Geonosis in February. I'd rather have one two month delay than two one month delays.

CT1138 likes this.
  19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Since we have a one month break, the season finale will probably be on 25th March.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. Ben from Coseley

Ben from Coseley Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2016
    Hi folks,
    Forgive me for a asking, but I'm confused...
    I have Rebels on series link offa Disney XD HD, the last ones recorded were S3 E12&13, Ghost of Genosis pt1&2.
    The comment above mentions a month break, but I've seen episode reviews on YouTube / Rebels Recon of one, maybe two? Episodes I haven't seen and don't appear in my planner.
    I'm guessing US gets earlier airings than us here in Blighty, but can someone confirm I'm not missing something, or if I can watch them online, how long do I have to wait for the rest of S3 to be aired on Disney UK?
    Many thanks,
    Ben.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I've heard that Britain has a weird schedule

22. Sow

Sow Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2015
    Rau: <smirking>
    Kanan: Jedi won that war
    Rau: </smirking> <no he didn't!>
    Kanan: <just did>
    Sunglasses slowly dropping on his face would be inappropriate in his case though :cool:

I love those burns and chit-chatting, also last episode paid very big attention to details. Except the scene when Fenn is going to get supplies and Hera looks at him I don't remember any other empty scenery (like walls without any decorations, empty space and no crowd & stuff) in the episode and believe me I know how hard it is to create from scratch and decorate and put a lot of stuff in background in animation that people will barely glance for a moment.

Also I'm so happy that they gave Sabine new tools, I think we all love to see characters achieving something with hard training and preparations and beating the asses of others who have unfair advantage because they were born with unfair advantage (the force). People might call it rooting for the underdog but I'm calling that the Batman effect. Let's just hope they won't overdo it same as DC did with bat after he gained popularity (aka godlike beings equipped with legendary weapons losing to guy with few metal toys)

Although the Zeb episode fades in comparison to Sabine episode I still enjoyed it a lot, chopper line about the crew not being able to figure Zeb's purpose in gang literally made me burst with laughter, why they didn't call it "The Roast of Garazeb Orrelios" is beyond me. Actually for me The weakest episodes in this half of season so far were the Saw ones, and even they were good, my only problem with them was that they overdid a little showing that he's willing to go a little bit rogue <badum tsss> for the rebelion. I mean ok, we get it, he's extremist you don't have to make him threat Click-clack/egg/crew in every damn scene.

On other random thoughts, If by any chance (and we know that chances are quite high) not only Maul will meet our Moses (besides the looks he split him in half like Red See), there is slight possibility that later on Kanan and Ezra might convince him to cover their backs telling the Rebellion that they disappeared/died so they could focus on something different - searching for ancient jedi/sith temples/force sensitive kids, something Ren related or something entirely new/helping Sabine gather the other Mandalorians? Don't know but it have to be something big enough to make sense for them to leave the rebellion. That, or it could be Kanan/Ezra death that would cause the surviving one to give up and run away (though it should be Ezra, Kanan already did that between the season 2 finale and first episodes of 3rd).

I don't really get the "Yoda said luke is the only jedi so they have to die" thing. Let's look at facts. Yoda knows about them. Although he is arguably one the greatest jedi he can't possibly feel all the force users in the universe positions and their well being. And even if he can maybe it's not so easy to detect someone who don't wish to be found like hm... the jedi that are hunted by the empire atm? Otherwise Palp would just send Vader locations and make him schedule of where to strike if force users would be that easy to find. Maybe they will go to planet so far away that even force will lose the signal?Maybe he thinks that they got killed after he send them to Malachor? Maybe he know they are doing fine but is crazy/forgetful enough or want to pressure Luke even harder when he talks with him and tells him he will be the last jedi? I mean come on, he (literally) wouldn't recognise the force user if he would shake hands with him, yet it's somehow stated as absolute that because he said so there is no other jedi alive when he talks with luke. I'm still not getting that continuity problem with them being alive, but I agree that they shouldn't be with Rebelion after the first Death Star destruction (otherwise why wouldn't look try to find them). I expect one of them to die and the other one goes into hiding/hermit mode &/or have to do something with Ren thing.

23. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

I wouldn't worry about that if/until they go into the Mandalorian/Jedi wars in detail. Stuff like Vambraces and all that lore is just there to explain situations like when Ezra meets the Imperial Supercommandos, or when Pre Viszla fights Darth Maul. Without the lore, it's just a bunch of differently-armored stormtroopers leaving the viewer thinking "Why is this a big deal/ why would ezra feel threatened? Why is guy not instantly gutted by Maul?", whereas the lore (Mandos often beating jedi, their wars together, gear designed to fight their abilities) answers the questions, allowing for more credibility to the situation.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

We did see the Fifth Brother get slashed across the torso. We don't see the blade actually cut flesh but as the Inquisitor falls we see a orange glowing slash along his midsection.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Its fine I think