main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Mar 30, 2016.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The lack of fleshing out Kallus's turn is definitely negatively affecting the viewpoint of his turn in the first place. If it had been more subtle and not such an about face heel spin it would have worked out better than one episode sowing the seeds of doubt and the next one showing utter treason. But, that's Rebels for ya. It rarely does a good job of explaining itself.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Or being subtle

CT1138 likes this.
  3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Vader did bad things, could do a good action at the end, but he died for it. He was "punished", in a way. He didn't live happy ever after.

That's why I think that Kallus could and should have the same fate, maybe die and sacrifice himself for his new ideals. His change of mind was not subtle enough to my taste, too quick and awkward. I wonder if there had been someone giving him a hug when he came back from his mission would have turned him into a total Imperial believer instead of a traitor :rolleyes:

4. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017

Ha! Which reminds me that Bendu warned Thrawn about hugs....poor Imps. No embraces for them. ;) I think the writers hoped we'd fill in the blanks between seasons. And I do wonder if we'll get a little insight into his turn now that he survived, maybe even revisit the Geonosis plot. He/we can't know about the Death Star per se, but he might have learned that the planet was sterilized to keep an Imperial secret to which he wasn't privy. If he shares this with the crew, it would be a good tie-in to the Rogue One plot without anticipating that story TOO much, and help to raise the narrative tension.

I suspect there's plenty of time for Kallus to sacrifice himself for his new ideals, but after an opportunity to do more good. He has no plot armor, he's pissed off Thrawn and Pryce, and he will likely be using his Imperial knowledge on the ground in actively dangerous situations. I doubt the season will see him getting meilooruns for Hera. He might sacrifice himself to save a Ghost crew member; he has already shown himself willing to do so. Or maybe not. As I say, I just hope he remains complicated and interesting and that he has a confrontation with Saw at some point. I look forward to a little fussy-grumpy Uncle Kallus but I hope to heck that isn't his function on the show, because that would minimize his past for comic relief. Tempting, of course, in a show so focused on the chosen-family theme.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kallus turn is abrupt but I can roll with it because it's made the guy much more interesting and opened up more story potential than if he had stayed S1-S2 (pre-Honourable Ones) Kallus. Who was kind of fun as a baddie and all but he kept losing all the time. At least him turning into Fulcrum made him seem more competent.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just roll with it because his voice actor just nails him every time

7. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Exactly. Really, without David Oyelowo's fantastic voice acting, I don't think I'd care nearly as much what happens to him.

8. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I've seen it around and I like how he gets into it all or mostly all of it.

10. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015

Kallus dying to save save Zeb (or another Lasat) would be a good close to his arc.

seeker_two and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Overall, I thought this season was probably the best. There were quite a few episodes in the the latter half of the season especially that were really good. There's a case to be made that if you took out a lot of the filler episodes you could create a single season of Rebels that is consistently high without repeating all of the usual beats that plague the series.

12. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    .....or vice-versa.....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Zen' sarcasm has long since past so it could be.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere in this thread, but does anyone know when Zero Hour is scheduled to show in the UK? Its funny, we got to Twin Suns, and then it promptly just stopped. Nothing. I've checked Disney XD a week ahead, and still nothing. Rebels Season 3 has just ended in the UK, before the real ending. Anyone know anything?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember the same happening with Season 2.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    According to the Sky EPG, the final two episodes will be next Saturday (22 Apr) from 9-10 AM.

Krueger likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was watching season 3 recently again and I forgot just how much I liked this season. Especially with Maul finally getting the Axe and how well done that was.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    S3 was probably my least favorite. It was too long. There were rare examples of actual, 100% filler in this season with the The Wynkahthu Job and Double Agent Droid. The Last Battle I think qualifies as well since the Rogue Droids never paid off. It turned out to be TCW fan service. The Antilles Extraction didn't have much of a payoff either. Hobby and Wedge being a part of Phoenix Squadron doesn't make much sense for the OT. They barely played a role going forward, which was disappointing.
    I also thought the whole Maul business, while cool, brought the show out of focus from being about the establishment of the Rebel Alliance. A new Inquisitor could have served the same role as Maul while keeping Maul on the shelf for future stories, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Imagine if they introduced Snoke as the third party Dark Side shoulder devil for Ezra. The implications of that would have been amazing, but they chose to keep Ezra as separate from the Film Saga as humanly possible.

Season 2 was probably the best for me. That season was just as long, but had so much meat to it with character development.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020