main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I like this one because we've finally dispensed with the "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy" and sunk to the level of "someone left this as a comment on an old story at a second-rate fan news site". Literally anyone here could've written that.

TKT, WMIRTUTSF, Ordo Skirata and 6 others like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think I'm going to start posting random twitter conversations and poorly sourced rumors in my spare time. And I didn't read the source... lol. I pretty much assume all these rumors originate as comments on old articles.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Not as much, since Rhett seems more trained to be a blunt hammer than a scalpel. I certainly don't see him having much espionage skills. On the other hand, such a role is exactly the kind of thing Mara is described as doing consistently. The writers have a big universe open to them; no reason to restrict themselves purely on whats familiar.

But I don't see them actually using Mara Jade. And if they do, they'll turn her into a surfer dude valley girl. Or a valley girl masquerading as a surfer dude.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Rhett performed tasks similar to Mara Jade before Vader sent him after Jedi.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    We have no idea what her voice sounds like, she could, like, totally sound like she's from SoCal! Totally tubular!

instantdeath and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Or they may base her on a modern-day teenager. So help me, if one person in this show says "totes cray-cray," I am done. [face_plain]

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Comparable, I suppose, but similar only in a superficial way. If memory of the novelization serves (with wookieepedia filling in the blanks), Starkiller was an assassin and enforcer. Like I said, a hammer. I couldn't really see him, say, attending a party under a cover identity, or in this case, infiltrating a Rebel cell. He'd be more likely to kill them outright, or to report their location to Vader. In addition, Mara was a public figure, to an extent; her true role was kept secret, but she was often kept in the public eye at Palpatine's sight, hiding in plain sight. In comparison, Starkiller was more like Maul. As far as it's been established, he didn't have a secret persona. He was just Starkiller.

I'm not at all opposed to seeing Rhett at some point in the series, though. Just if I were given an option in choosing an established character to use in an espionage role, I'd be more in favor of Mara. Plus I'd prefer Rhett show up as an adult, anyway, as Sam Witwer is far and away the best thing about his character.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    HIJACKING SUCCESSFUL

You're just making the argument for me that the folks that would make Vos a surfer bro would make Rhett into Mara Jade and attending balls and whatnot.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not so sure about that; I can't think of a single instance of the people behind TCW ever taking an existing character or concept and making it more subtle. These are the guys who made Dooku Dick Dastardly, Nightsisters who use literal magic, the shatterpoint something that's only brought up so it can be used to smash windows, and routinely did homages that were less subtle than a brick to the face.

With some of the new creative talent on Rebels (Greg Weisman in particular), they'll hopefully feel more comfortable in making the show slightly more understated.

Valin__Kenobi, TKT and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Troy Denning did shatterpoint like that first, so they were faithfully recreating his depiction of it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Depressing, but not surprising. :(

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't get the hatred people have for random lingo that kids use these days. I *detest* it when shows or movies interject contemporary behavior into settings where they don't fit *coughgameofthronescough* but as a completely separate issue, people seem to hate things like "totes" with some sort of strange unbridled passion.

We had weird lingo too when we were kids that our elders couldn't fathom. Now it's happened to us. Deal with it :p

Revanfan1 and instantdeath like this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Haven't kept up with Game of Thrones. What modern lingo/behavior made it onto the show?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Spoilers, I guess.

Contessa likes this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    is that canon

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Totes Cray-Cray. She hangs out with Roo-Roo Page, right?

19. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Actually I'm pretty sure Legacy did it first, with Cade learning how to use shatterpoint to break transparisteel from Kol's ghost. Denning just copied it in Invincible. Legacy used it well, though, while Denning just made it another cheap superpower.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The plot thickens!

You'll never hear people complain about SW Legacy doing shatterpoint wrong like they do TCW.

21. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You do hear it, from time to time. But certainly not with the same vigor.

That said, I don't necessarily think Legacy did shatterpoint wrong. It was certainly a more literal, physical application than what Stover had originally designed and featured in Shatterpoint and RotS, but―to me, at least―I can see it as a logical extrapolation based upon the underlying concept of seeing into the Force and detecting key features, flaws, or weaknesses. The same basic ability being repurposed in a more practically employable fashion. It could also be theorized that Mace is well and truly special in that, unlike these other gifted but limited individuals who can use shatterpoint in a purely physical manner, he could go further and tap into something deeper, richer, in the fabric of the Force that exists between all things.

Personally, I liked Legacy's take, and was admittedly a little overjoyed to see Mace physically use shatterpoint in Liberty on Ryloth, especially with how it was used. And for what little it's worth, I even though Jacen's use of shatterpoint to break seemingly unbreakable beskar plates in Invincible was one of the very, very few enjoyable things from the novel.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Slightly off topic but they sooooo have to get James Earl Jones back to voice Darth Vader otherwise for me it will be nooooo instead

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Isn't that the rumor? That they are looking at getting him back? Or am I only thinking that because I just woke up?

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    God I hope so, Darth Vader is not Darth Vader without JEJ, he is just Chad Vader instead :(

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They mention France in one episode. :_|