main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    God damn it, that works.

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I've been saying I wanted this from day one, tbh. The idea of at least one of them going off into another part of the Galaxy. Second Foundation style. And Yoda - if he even knew about it - not giving Luke the info because why give him the idea that there was Another Powerful Force User out there so he can back out and hope someone else deals with it? Where in reality only the Son of Skywalker could do what needed to be done.

Yoda only tells Luke about Leia to shove him over the edge concerning stakes. Ben only talks about the Other Skywalker, not potentially the other that Yoda seems to present to him as COMPLETELY NEW INFORMATION in V after Luke takes off.

The idea of a back-up contingency that the primary isn't privy to works for me, story wise. Likely won't even be going there, but if they do, I'd get it. Bringing Yoda into direct Force!contact with Kanan and Ezra is only thing that makes me think they might do something in that direction.

Of course, now I really want to see Yoda and the Bendu having a conversation/debate. Can you even imagine?

Karl0413 and Toonimator like this.
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The rest of the Ghost crew perhaps but not Ezra and Kanan, they have to die.

Otherwise there are going to be a lot of re-writes

Tarkin "You my friend are all that's left of their religion, well except for those Jedi who blew up my Star Destroyer"

Palpatine "We have a new enemy, Ezra Bridger"

Yoda "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, except for Ezra, it will"

Obi-wan "You were our only hope"
    Luke "Yoda spoke of another"
    Obi-wan "The others he spoke of were Kanan and Ezra"
    Luke "Wait others plural !, why haven't I heard about these guys before?"
    Obi-wan "Well you did from a certain point of view"

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Thrawn gets exiled to the UR and the Ghost crew, understanding he's a Serious Threat (or being made aware of the Vague UR Threats he's worried about himself), go in after him. End series.

Karl0413, Kylun and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Not if he reasonably thinks they're dead. Especially if he's REFERRING specifically to them as he joyfully thinks about their recent assumed demise.

Not if he reasonably didn't even know or care about them in Rebels to begin with, and Vader and Tarkin etc reasonably think they're dead.

I didn't say anything about Ezra going unscarred from his experiences and encounters, and another of 1001 reasons why he's not the Primary Plan.

No, Yoda was talking to Luke about Leia, "another Skywalker". In ESB when Yoda says, "There is another", he's speaking to Obi-Wan after Luke takes off. While FS, Leia's a politician. Yoda would not be keen in mixing Church and State again.

Existence of other events, or even known events, doesn't require characters who know about them always making winking reference to them to all other characters - especially some who it would be in everybody's best interest if the individual did NOT have that information. It's not out of character for Yoda and Ben to strategically withhold information from Luke.

Kylun, CooperTFN and Toonimator like this.
  6. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Maybe he was pulling a Jacen-at-the-end-of-Sacrifice special. An 'oh don't kill me I'm your son your old master' illusion.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Kanan & Ezra don't have to die. Kanan's already not too keen on keeping up the fight--his whole Knighting ceremony, orchestrated by Yoda, was kinda about that. He and Yoda have so far been terrible at conveying that message to Ezra. If either succeeds in convincing Ezra that it's not his mission, his destiny, to destroy the Sith, then they can easily go off and do good around the vastness of the galaxy rather than sticking solely with the Rebellion and/or trying to bring down Vader and Palpatine. They can Kung Fu their way through the Outer Rim or Unknown Regions or whatever, right wrongs, helping folks on a smaller scale, not being "used" by the Rebellion as tools

Although that's a common thought that a Force-user would be a tool for the Rebellion, even expressed by Dave in the interview, the fact remains that Luke's Jedi skills haven't exactly been seen as some major resource for the Rebellion... Mon Mothma was willing to let him rot on Nar Shaddaa, nobody even says 'boo' to him about going AWOL in ESB or breaking up a major briefing in ROTJ... the only sign I've read of them giving him special treatment is in Moving Target, where he's considered a high-value target and so kept separate from similar targets like Leia for security. To be fair, I haven't read Heir To The Jedi or Weapon Of A Jedi yet, so maybe more was made of his abilities in there. Luke's rank & status in the Alliance seems to spring from his piloting skills (Force-enhanced tho they may occasionally be), not because he can move a lightsaber with his mind. Ezra & Kanan (and Ahsoka, for that matter) may not be called upon by High Command to do a bunch of daring missions at all... High Command may not wish to rely on Jedi, especially if any of 'em know what happened with Anakin. Accept their help, maybe, but not pin all their hopes on 'em.

If it's not Ezra or Kanan's destinies to defeat the Sith, or even challenge 'em significantly (which we're pretty sure it's not), then there's really no reason for Palpatine to be getting visions like he did with Luke about Ezra or Kanan being a threat to them. And it's very conceivable that something could occur which allows Tarkin to believe they're dead... which he already believed before he even met Kanan, so his remark in ANH isn't out of character for him at all, regardless of whether he's certain they're dead or not.

fett 4, your imagination is failing you!

8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Rebels' tonal conflict with ANH still exists, in my opinion, even if Tarkin believes the Rebels that destroyed his Star Destroyer were defeated (And that's not even getting into the fact that ANH's opening crawl says that Rogue One should be the Rebels' first victory against the Empire). Tarkin does not seem to take the Rebel threat seriously in the Battle of Yavin (again tying into the story background given at the time that the Rebels have only won 1 victory before). He does not order all of the TIE squadrons (Vader does that), unleash an orbital bombardment on Yavin, or oversee a ground assault of the Rebel Base. He just calmly waits for the Death Star to get into firing position despite the swarms of Rebel ships attacking.

Personally, I don't think someone who had his personal Star Destroyer annihilated by Rebels would take any future threat from that same organization so lightly.

fett 4 likes this.
  9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Think there's been a defined difference between small victories within individual Rebel cells (seen as acts of individual terrorism with no real endgame) , and a victory of a newly unified and declared Rebel Alliance with an actual goal and purpose to actually wage a War to overthrow the Empire. A victory from revolutionary-minded individuals working independently pre July 1776 vs a military victory for the United Colonies post Declaration.

Toonimator likes this.
  10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    They weren't isolated units pre 1776 though. The 1775 invasion and attempted conquest of Canada had already happened. As one obviouss example

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Again, it's just my opinion, but I would think that Tarkin would be even more worried, not less, about an organized unified alliance that arose from the small group that destroyed his personal ship.

fett 4 likes this.
  12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Aright. Dates aside due to my lack, I think we can agree there were individual acts of rebellion prior to being united under the establishment of a formal Continental Army.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    TBH I understand why people think Kanan and Ezra should die before the OT but saying they "have to die" is, IMO, stretching it. A galaxy in which one planet contains quadrillions of people, and you're saying that two other Jedi can't possibly be alive, just because of a line by Yoda, a fallible, mortal character? And that's even assuming that Kanan and Ezra still consider themselves Jedi by then. [face_dunno]

Toonimator, Kylun, Danifae and 2 others like this.
  14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I disagree if only because I have personal experience here( no, I've never tried to blow up a Rebel base)

Ya know, I have a good friend who is better at games than me. We like playing the old Decipher Star Wars CCG

He's much better than me in all games. Sometimes he wins many times in a role. At the beginning of a season of winning streaks for my friend ( when he finds a new deck combo that I cannot counter) I am cautious when I see I am about to lose.to him. I avoid fights. I try winning by draining his resources and fortressing up on planets. If we compared this to Tarkin, then I do the sensible thing and abandon Sovereign when I'm told there is no hope whether than trying to go out in a blaze of glory.

However, soon I design a new deck. There might even be a Death Star in that deck. I add tons of new effects and interrupts that should work in synergy to crush my opponent with one swift stroke, I will even commit my fleets to battles.

Why am I taking risks now? Because. Fate. Justice. I put work into this. I deserve to win now. I cannot lose! I will unleash the fury of my fleets upon my opponent and make him see that he was wrong to ever dare to oppose me!

However, soon I start losing. I should play more cautiously. I should withdraw. Try to fortress up and drain his resources. NO! NO! I will win this time! I will make him see the errors of his way! I will not withdraw! I have become Gul Dukat facing captain Sisko! I am Picard facing the Borg! I WILL NOT BACK DOWN!

And then comes the fateful moment in the game. You've just said "Srew it" and have committed a large force to battle. You put your hand to your chin, and make that epic Tarkin pose as you realize that your fate hangs by a single destiny draw. You wonder: DId I make the right decision by not withdrawing"

And then your Death Star blows up and you lose the game.

That, is what I propose, was happening with Tarkin at the end of A New Hope. .

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Good insight into what Tarkin was likely thinking in ANH. Perhaps at some point I started comparing his actions in ANH to what I would do given his experienes (oh no, those guys who blew up my ship organized an alliance to come after me now? Deploy all TIE squadrons, bombard Yavin!), and not what Tarkin himself would do. :p

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Honestly, I probably would not have immediately evacuated. I would have asked Bast to review the threat with me. Then I would have made a decision.

And honestly, after knowing the threat...and seeing that 12 of my TIEs had just eliminated almost 36 Rebel fighters and and that Vader was at that moment on the last one...I probably wouldn't have evacuated.

Then again, I would have sent a thousand TIEs to wipe out the Rebel assault at the get go and not have left it up to Vader and a single squadron. :p

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I hereby declare that all further discussion must be done in the context of a Decipher SWCCG game.

As for Kanan and Ezra in the OT, easy solution: the TCW Vong scouts return, kidnap Kanan & Ezra and head out to the Unknown Regions (and beyond!) and Thrawn follows in chase.

Then the OT ends and all the EU characters get to come back while making Kanan the new Vergere. ;)

18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[face_whistling]

Revanfan1, spicer and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Anyone made a note of the possibility that
    Sabine is Rook Kast and Maul's daughter and that's why she ends up with the Darksaber? Maul stole it back and gives it to her instead of her taking it?

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That seems uncharacteristically nice of him.

I was also going to point out the impossibility of it, but apparently humans and Zabraks can have children. Dathomir is friggin' weird, man.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The road goes ever on and on...

Force Smuggler and fett 4 like this.
  22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't think Maul can father children...unless Zabrak morphology is drastically different from human.

Slater, WMIRTUTSF, Toonimator and 5 others like this.
  23. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Maul has no gibbly bits to make babies.

And his nonexistent booty is broke so no test tube babies.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    :emperor: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Slater, WMIRTUTSF, spicer and 3 others like this.
  25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999