main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I don't like that h can order Rex about, he deserves better.

2. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Could be compartmentalized to only top members like Sato and Hera?

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    CLOSE YOUR SPOILER TAGS, people.

Code:
    [spoiler] alone is insufficient. You need to close it with [/spoiler]

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LCDR is hardly senior rank, and iirc it's pretty standard to call them lieutenant as shorthand.

Besides it doesn't matter, he loses it in like two minutes :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. Bly

Mar 28, 2005

Man, if I'd been commissioned as an O-5 you bet your backside it'd raise some eyebrows. Even direct commission folks with uber subject matter expertise only start as Captains, and that's hardly a line position, it's for folks like doctors and JAG officers. Also the proper address is 'Commander', kinda like how you call a Lieutenant Colonel just 'Colonel' rather than Lieutenant.

At least all's well by the end of it, if nothing else. Good job, Ezra. :p

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Now I'm picturing Gold pilots gossiping to Luke about the dumb kid who got put in charge of getting their Y-wings.

6. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    If we can get a scene of Dutch Vander and Garven Dreis BS'ing over this I'll be a very happy man. My Pilot Prayer Circle's expanded from Baron Fel to include the ANH crew after hearing the mention of Dodonna this episode.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, it's undoubtedly wrong in real life. But I mean that I seem to recall SW precedent for it. Just like how SW has naval commanders outrank captains for some reason.

As for commissioning straight to LCDR, I dunno if it's that strange. Ahsoka, as padawan, was a straight up CDR. And let's not forget Han and Lando. LCDR is O-4, anyway, no?

The answer to both issues is that SW is weird. And yes, it bothers me too but it's pretty standard :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm dismayed I had to think about this, I used to have my Navy ranks down pat. XD

Yep, you're right that it's O-4, and also that Star Wars has a history of this. I guess I'm just a bit perplexed cause Phoenix Squadron and Sato were portrayed as more straight-laced "military" than the other Rebel groups we've seen etc etc etc

So yeah. It's weird. But I suppose in a world where we can fit a battalion aboard a single AT-TE (thanks TCW!) I really, really should be used to it by now. :p

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Sorry, due to a treaty stipulation dating back to the War of 1812 (which came about due to Andrew Jackson's attempt at being a playwright) all American media is delayed for a minimum of one week to give the British time to prepare. :p

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Mostly positive thoughts about this episode.
    Thrawn part was perfectly done. We need to actually see him in action, and see what his overall plan/arc for the show is, but this snippet we got was perfect.

Like the character updates. Love Bendu. Tom Baker brings the right mix of Yoda and Doctor to the role and the visuals on the character were breathtaking. Beautifully realized character.

Kanan's conflict was cool, but almost everything in this episode resolved much too quickly. I'd like to see Ezra becoming more aggressive rather than us start this way then instantly undo it. Kanan getting rid of the Sith Holocron just like that seems like really lazy writing to me. We want to engender conflict across multiple episodes, not completely sidestep it. Giving Ezra something to rely on like dark side knowledge while Kanan is off moping should be a mini-arc in this season, not brought up and resolved right away. It just seems like a really odd way to handle a very encouraging plot point from the end of last season.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll be confused enjoying Doctor Strange on October 25th while the U.S. has it on November 4th then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediFett10 and Karl0413 like this.
  12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Must have had some heavy losses.
    Um, we never found out who the Sith was and Filoni was waiting to reveal her, so I assume this will pick back up again. We also see them having the holocron with them for the experiment with Maul.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was kinda hoping Bendu would just pinch it like he did the staff though.

14. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    It will turn out that the Bendu will simply give it to Maul at some point. I can just see that happening.

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Keeping in mind it's a set up chapter, I thought the episode was pretty meh. Thrawn makes observations that any competent AI correlator should be able to make after being fed the data raw data on the happenings in that sector of space. Any competent investigator (such as Kallus) should have been able to put two and two together. Thrawn coming in there and saying "Yeah the guy Phoenix squad broke out of prison had a fellow Ugnaught prisoner that worked at station near where Phoenix squad took out some mining guild TIES" wasn't impressive; it just made the rest of the Imperials around the table look that much more idiotic.Trillion credit AIs and thousands of agents crunching the data couldn't come up with that? Geez. No wonder the Empire lost

As for Thrawn causing more civilian casualties than rebel casualties...I can be okay with that. Thrawn has never had qualms about wiping out entire civilizations if they proved recalcitrant. However, it should not become his first resort method. That would not be Thrawn.

16. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    My thoughts as I watched:

- Holy cow, Ezra's command of the Force is a bit scary. Especially with the look in his eyes as he forces the AT-ST off the cliff.

- Oh my goodness, Sabine's hair! I forgot about that new style!

- TAARRRKKIIINNNNN

- Hondo, you be trippin' if you thought for even a second they'd let you take The Ghost.

- It is so weird that they think the Y-Wing is "old"

-Hondo, I'll never trust you

- Kanan's never around? :( And HOW did he not feel the Sith Holocron? That is strange.

- Does anyone else see the similarities between Ezra and Jacen?

- *chuckles at Chopper at the guns*

- The Bendu at first sounded like Yoda. I freaking love the Ashla and Bogan are brought in.

- GRAND Admiral Thrawn <3 Even knowing he'd be here it makes me so bloody excited to have a visual representation of an alient among the Imperials. His voice does sound better than first thought too.A little too fast but the inflections are great.

- Everyone's reactions to Ezra's rash behavior - even Hondo's - are perfect.

- "We're going down!" - Sabine
    And watching that, I felt like I was on a VR ride!

- Sabine has an owl on her armor :)
    I don't like how extra bright her armor is though. It makes her easier to see.

- I have a very strong feeling Ezra will get the holocron back :(

- I hate TCW, and Hondo irritates me in so many ways. But Rex is amazeballs.

- Wow. Ezra. Just wow. I don't like this Ezra. I knew it's where the character was heading, but I don't have to like it.

- "This is all wrong." - Ezra
    Well geez, I wonder why *rolls eyes*

- Hm. I was expecting more from the teasers we've ben getting. The episodes were decent but not the best. Yet I think it opened the season fairly well with regards to characterization and overall tone.

17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Great episodes.
    They learned from the pacing problems they had last season. The situation with Vader last season was that they had him do too much in the two-part premier and then vanish for the rest of the season until the end, it makes everything else seem small by comparison. Thrawn is introduced, but he doesn't really do anything yet directly. He just sits back and watches, learning and observing. It gives them time to build him up, allow him to build familiarity with the Rebels and how they operate so he knows better how to take them down. It also give the show time to develop the scattered plotlines (Ezra and Kanan specifically) instead of just tossing them all around willy-nilly.

Love, love love that they were shipping the Y-Wings off to Dodonna's group. It's so good that they can make little throwaway references like that and have it make perfect sense. Dodonna's group will probably work to make them more lean, take out the turrets and put the hyperdrives back in, replace the guns, all of the modifications needed to have them ready for the missions leading in to ANH.

This premier certainly didn't have the flash and bang of the previous ones, especially last season, but I honestly think that's for the best. I'd prefer they save that sort of flash for the end of the season and march things forward with steady pacing as they go, so that way we don't have as many random dangling plot lines and side characters that get mentioned once and then vanished like we did in Season 2. They already brought Admiral (now Commander wah-wah) Titus back, as well as Hondo, so hopefully that continues. Hopefully we don't get any throw-away villains like we did with the Inquisitors last season, either.

18. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Such a good episode.
    1) Thrawn was recognizably Thrawn, both in what he said and what he did, not just a random Imperial baddie who happened to be a Chiss. Can't wait to see him in action. 2) If Ezra can manage to get through this season without being decked by either Hera, Sabine, or Rex, it will be a miracle. 3) DODONNA!

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That whole sequence with Thrawn at the end was my favorite.

"That is NOT the Rebel fleet" and the ominous music that plays after. Konstantine saying he doesn't understand, and Pryce mocking him by saying "I know you don't." Beautiful.

Revanfan1, Danifae, SWpants and 2 others like this.
  20. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That episode was so wizard.

Pretty good stuff beyond some of the normal nitpicks, and nice name drops. Got high hopes for the Grand Admiral, hoping he provides the Empire with at least a modicum of competence going forward.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Modicum of competence is Thrawn's middle name.

ShiroxCloud, Vthuil and CooperTFN like this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Exclusive deleted Ezra scene

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Rebels Recon

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No episode guide 'til Monday though.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I liked the Lion Turtle

CooperTFN likes this.