main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Jar Jar Binks is a founding father of the Galactic Empire and I will brook no disrespect.

WMIRTUTSF, Aphra, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If, as he claims, Rex never kept count of the battle droids he took down, I shudder to think what the tally marks on his helmet are for.

Slater, Vthuil, vncredleader and 8 others like this.
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Like I said when TCW was good it was good but when it was bad it was bad.So no It was certainly not nostalgia. In fact one issue TCW did have but is ALSO on Rebels, is having a scene/moment but not caring how you set up that scene to get to it. That's more a Filoni problem rather than a show one though.

Also I don't feel that saying "Oh but this show did it too" is a good rebuttal either. It's not cancelling the other out, merely saying both have a problem. Also even the Sepratists had different levels of competency, the Empire is just simply written as incompetent.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  4. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    When comparing the shows, I´ve seen many fans and some reviews ignore the fact that the same problems affecting Rebels were present in TCW. That was my point, not saying "oh but this show did it too". I wasn´t rebutting anything, just pointing that fact. Like I said, I just found interesting the conversation because you gave arguments to explain your opinion that made sense to me, so I was curious about the comparison I was making and the different readings both shows sometimes get, that´s all.

5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I bet Imperial history just calls him a "senator from Naboo" and all official art depicts him as a human.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Argh I get you. I'd misunderstood the post. Well in regards Anakin, even though we knew what would happen, It gave the opportunity to tell something that hadn't been told in the PT, The good man etc.Rebels isn't adding to the story, it's merely contradicting it while trying to show it up.

Regards Ahsoka though we genuinely didn't know if she would be killed off. Particularly as that was Lucas original plan with Filoni arguing against it. So I don't think it was that cut and dried. Compare that to the Rebels crew which seem so untouchable you don't feel any tension in any scene they are in. Hell they have busted in and out Imperial complexes the show even made a joke about last season.

7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Bu-bu-bu-but what do you mean 2 weeks from now? Why are we skipping a week? If it was mentioned in the video I must've missed it. This is an outrage! A travesty. What will I do while I have breakfast Sunday morning? Read? Like some filthy Outer Run commoner?

8. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Bu-bu-bu-but what do you mean 2 weeks from now? Why are we skipping a week? If it was mentioned in the video I must've missed it. This is an outrage! A travesty. What will I do while I have breakfast Sunday morning? Read? Like some filthy Outer Rim commoner?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Bit disappointed by the question they chose to answer this time... Yeah, there are three Antilles. But everyone knows that, right? I'm pretty sure there were more interesting questions than that...

Mia Mesharad and SilentGuy66 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Like Ewok questions?

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. A good one would be: when will you at last canonize the two Ewok movies and the cartoon? :p

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  12. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    The movies are canon. Don't question it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I wish they were, believe me.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'll get a very distorted view of fandom if you judge it just by what people in Lit think/know. I can't tell you how often I've seen that confusion about Captain Antilles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    To say nothing of all the people asking where the Bothans were at in Rogue One...

16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

You assume the general audience for the show are message board crawlers and readers of All The Things. For someone who just watched the movies, the TV shows, and then picked up Ahsoka as their first SW book because of Rebels ... how would they have known?

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, every once in a while the Recon question is basically "get off our case about this"--like the Rey one last season.

tatooinesandworm and BobaMatt like this.
  18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I know, I know. We're not representative of the fanbase in general. But the Antilles question can be solved by reading the new Character Encylopedia or... you know, for free, the Databank. That's why I think Rebel Recon should answer questions that have no answer anywhere else.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    As for the Empire and a "third side" in the Clone War:
    I actually read that as evidence that Ezra hasn't put it all together quite yet, as a few in this thread have lamented.

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yet nobody bothered to tell him: "Er... Ezra, you know that the Empire actually is the direct and legal continuation of the Republic, right?" :p

vncredleader and La Calavera like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not gonna lie... this episode didn't really do it for me. The scale & scope of the last few episodes has been off. I get that each episode can/does lay seeds for the future, but after the season opener, the Y-wing episode, and the Wedge episode, things have slowed down a bit. I'm interested to see the Databank entries today, as I'm pretty sure Agamar is not the same as EU Agamar. :p

The idea of Kalani serving the Rebellion one day... not sure how I feel about that. Good & bad, I suppose.

--Adm. Nick

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well no, I think everyone knows that - I think the exact mechanism for how the war started and who the players were is still a mystery. From a certain point of view, Ezra is right...the people engineering the rise of the Empire deceived the Republic and the Separatists. Unfortunately, it's more complex than that.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Only if you already knew they were separate characters. Otherwise, why would you look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CooperTFN and Taalcon like this.
  24. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That's... actually a fair point. Ah, well... They should have used the first name Raymus in the novel (you know which one I mean), that would have spared us the trouble.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You need only accept the logic of that scenario.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth_Duck and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  26. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Does this still need spoiler tags?

They DO mention, in this very episode, that the Republic became the Empire. In fact, it's the conclusion of the conversation between Ezra and Kalani that converts the droid to their side.

I think Ezra's point was more how the loyal soldiers of the Republic, and the loyal soldiers of the Separatists, were both betrayed, when he was talking about who benefitted from / "won" the war. I agree it would have been clearer if Ezra said "the Emperor" instead of "the Empire," but I don't think even Kanan and Ezra know the full truth about Palpatine yet.