main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This season has done much better by its villains than the second, that's for sure. The second gave us Vader as the bookends, but the middle had the Inquisitors who were just jobbers with cool designs, and even they were in fewer episodes than you'd think. The few other antagonists were all either one-shots, or anti-villains who got converted (Ketsu, Fenn Rau). At least Thrawn has been showing up consistently even if he's not directly involved with the action. And even in episodes that he's not in we've had Pryce or Maul to pick up the slack.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm torn on this. The RO Visual Guide mentioned that the fleet carried out "high profile strikes" pre-Scarif, including Lothal. So I'm not expecting Thrawn to destroy a large portion of the Rebel Fleet. My gut still says that his big "achievement" will be destroying Atollon Base and thwarting a major Rebel attack. I expect Sato to die, most likely the carrier to be lost too. I know a lot of people want Thrawn to score some massive, all our victory, but that doesn't fit with the timeline. As we learn in RO & ANH, the Empire is just waking up to considering the Rebellion a major threat.

--Adm. Nick

Erkan12 and Cracian_Thumper like this.
  3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The Empire is a system, and I think people are forgetting that while it is a morale boost to the rebels to do things like kill Stormtroopers, sabotage ships, etc, they are only winning until they LOSE. That's the nature of guerrilla warfare. Thrawn could sacrifice a fleet if needed, and as long as he was able to completely crush the Rebels, it would come out a win.

Cynda likes this.
  4. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Bail Organa said they have just gathered their forces though, two years ago is not just.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

Unless you find out that the Long Con is anti climatic.

6. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Or maybe he just gets removed from the situation. Perhaps on the eve of his victory he gets sent off to find a dry cleaner in the unknown regions for a few years. I mean those white uniforms must be a pain to clean.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

But the thing is, grey Jedi never made much sense and was sort of a contradiction in terms. They were Jedi outside of the order, yet the idea of the Lost 20 had already existed for years by then. Grey Jedi, then, is like Dark Jedi -- a term that's a colloquialism at best, but it really just means "light sider outside of the Jedi Order" and "dark sider outside of the Sith Order" respectively.

These are ideas that are very 90s EU, but by the time the Legacy comics were coming out, were rather dated in conception.

Now, I think it's clear why the Imperial Knights were being compared to Jedi Knights. I think we can fairly surmise -- though we never saw their origins -- that the Imperial Knights were rooted in that faction of the NJO-and-beyond Jedi who thought Jedi should serve the galactic government, rather than stand apart. And I think it would've been fair to assume that Jaina Solo founded the Imperial Knights. The whole Sword of the Jedi thing and her role with the New Republic during the NJO sort of lends itself well to that.

So then we have the Imperial Knights as a schismatic Jedi sect, who can be fairly considered Jedi and not Jedi depending on how strict your perspective is. Perhaps the Imperial Knights consider themselves Jedi, and the Jedi Order deny this.

But I think that's contingent on their specific history as a potential offshoot of the Jedi Order rather than them being grey Jedi -- I think grey Jedi is a pure misnomer.

8. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    And of course we already have a way of saying it will be? I didn't care at all about Thrawn when I read HttE, so I may just be biased, but I do think it's usually better to way until something disappoints before saying it's disappointing.

Edit: that... may have come out a bit harsher than I intended? I just mean that talking about whether it will be anti climatic or not is weird for me, because it hasn't happened yet so we're experiencing the first viewing - maybe if it turns out to be disappointing, it will ruin the effect of the previous episodes, but that isn't the case yet.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know. This is the guy who first let Sato's fleet go because he's looking for the actual Rebel fleet. But now he seems interested in Chopper Base, and sacrifices an Imperial Star Destroyer for that purpose. He also willingly sacrifices the cruiser that Konstantine was on, in his first appearance.

We're told he's willing to take massive casualties to achieve his ends. But unless his ends are truly that sweeping, it seems like he's a dramatically inefficient commander: achieving massive losses for what appears to be modest successes.

That's not scary. That's ineptitude. From the perspective of someone in the Imperial Ruling Council, I'd be very much looking askance at a commander who had that kind of lopsided success to losses ratio. He's after the long game after the immediate ends, fine, but that's a different calculus than the kind of losses he's taking too.

I have to trust in two things: 1. the Empire knew what it was doing in elevating Thrawn and gives him this kind of latitude and 2. the writers know what they are doing and have something planned.

So I'll wait and see. I liked him earlier, the bigger picture approach he took. But the loss of an entire Imperial Star Destroyer is big. And I certainly don't think it's the kind of loss that the EU Thrawn would have just smiled away at -- he was big on efficient use of resources. Right now, I just feel like we're seeing Delak Krennel.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, in regards to the efficient use of resources, EU Thrawn had no other choice. The New Republic controlled 3/4 of the known galaxy, plus the Empire's remaining moffs and governors were reluctant to share ships with Thrawn. NEU Thrawn is an altogether different beast, in that he is around at the height of the Empire's power and access to resources. Losses are secondary to him (civilian or his own forces) in the pursuit of his goal. My assumption is that Thrawn is one of the first in the upper Imperial echelons to see the growing Rebellion as a serious, potentially fatal threat to the Empire. Hence his willingness to casually dismiss losses.

But yes, I hope that TPTB have something cool in store for Thrawn, otherwise he'll end up being a cool looking blue alien with a cool voice. Krennel is a great comparison, BTW.

--Adm. Nick

Daneira likes this.
  11. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Thrawn did seem kinda anoyed though, considering he gave Kallus an evil look

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    EU Thrawn also told the Emperor to his face that he would not waste resources on a battle he did not think he could win.

All I'm saying is that this Thrawn is different. And that's okay, they don't have to follow EU Thrawn, but his disregard for Imperial losses makes me somewhat rather less impressed with the character. Others may read him differently, and find that sort of ruthlessness in pursuit of a goal chilling.

But I also suspect that has to do with a different point of view, as you lot are all Rebel scum and I'm a Loyalist. :)

Mm, did he? If it's a "you idiot, what have you done? Oh well, we can still get a lot of good from this" then it's much better.

Daneira and Matthew Trias like this.
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    All Thrawn has done so far is steeple his fingers. (It's now replaced the Cocks Eyebrow as his Picard Manouver of choice) which is having trouble lasting 22 episodes.

The whole problem with the whole bigger picture thing, is we know that Thrawns plan (assuming the writers even know what that is) is doomed to failure. He's essentially he's just Wiley Coyote after the Ghost crew with his "Plan"

Jedi Knight Fett and Stymi like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But, clearly, he believes here that he can win this battle against the Rebel fleet, so... waste away! ;)

15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

Yeah, if the writers pull off some sweeping, ambitious plot on the part of Thrawn, I will say the losses were forgivable. However, the longer they take to get to the point, the more losses pile up, the bigger the punchline the writers have to pull off to make the losses appear justifiable. I hope they're not setting up expectations they can't meet. Right now I have high expectations. I though the episode in which Thrawn met Herra was the best. It's still the best Thrawn so far.

EU Thrawn...tricky. Though he claimed to not be like Vader and would never waste troops, I always though that was more PR than anything else because I never felt that he argument that Vader wasted troops was justified. I always felt Vader and Thrawn were the same but Thrawn was a better PR spinster when it came to justifying his destruction of entire worlds and summary, on the spot executions. .

That being said, I never felt Legends Thrawn or Vader would lose a Star Destroyer just to narrow down a search parameter and feel that was justified. I feel I'm more justified in my assertion after seeing canon Vader in Rogue One appear annoyed with the ridiculous, unfocused wanton destruction that the Death Star is capable of and the political fall out that follows such acts. I think Legends Thrawn would be similarly annoyed by such acts. and I cannot see him just losing a Star Destroyer and being okay with that.

If anything, if canon Thrawn keeps up his methods, he will seem like the caricature of Vader that Legends Thrawn tried to create.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    And a Gambler thinks he can win back what he spends too but he still goes broke just the same ;)

Based off the Mid Season Trailer, in order to make Thrawn more of a threat, is the reason, the writers have decided to introduce Judo Thrawn, to give him more of an action role.

Matthew Trias I think that was more Zahn than anything else. You only have to read Side Trip or Choices of One to see Vader as a sort of Sith Homer Simpson whose coaxed along by Thrawn

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree in all respects. The Thrawn and Hera episode was the best Thrawn we've seen so far. And my favorite episode of the season.

And yes, Thrawn always made way too much of his contrast with Vader. He didn't hesitate to kill, he didn't hesitate to be ruthless, and he didn't hesitate to lie. I always thought his comments about Vader reeked of insecurity, frankly. But I do think even so, he did try to efficiently use resources and not waste manpower.

And I'm certainly glad to see canon Vader do the same thing. He's certainly no brute either. He has finesse, just as Thrawn did in the EU. Canon Thrawn? I don't know about that.

18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

I agree with all of that. I also always felt that Zahn meant to convey Thrawn's hypocrisy but later his creation took on a life of its own in the fan base and he adjusted Thrawn's character accordingly.

In the TTT, Thrawn certainly did present a distorted picture of loyalty and good. Vader never pretended to be good. Considering Zahn's penchant for word games, I never thought this Thrawn's displays of hypocrisy to be accidental.

Thrawn definition:
    adjective, Scot.
    twisted; crooked; distorted.
    contrary; peevish; perverse.
    unpleasant; sullen

Jedi Princess likes this.
  19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

Indeed, but I'm looking at it from an in universe perspective.

fett 4 likes this.
  20. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    We do? On the contrary, we know that he succeeds. Maybe not with the destruction of the entire Rebellion, but definitely with setting them back a few years. In the trailers we see a coordinated attack with a rebel fleet almost as large as the one on Scarif. And yet we already know that Scarif is their first major victory, so this fleet is either destroyed or seriously crippled. Here's how I'm betting it will go:

Thrawn will catch the assembled fleet by surprise, boxing them in and overwhelming their defenses, while the Interdictor keeps them there. He destroys a few ships, including the Quasar Fire-class Carrier and at least one Nebulon-B. When all hope seems lost Sabine arrives with the Mandalorians (which we see in the trailer), and since Thrawn had no way of knowing about the Darksaber he could not have accounted for that in his plans. They destroy the Interdictor, allowing what little remains of the fleet to escape. On top of that, at some point he Base Delta Zeroes Chopper Base, destroying a major base of operations and putting the rebels on the run again. Altogether, he's effectively destroyed the rebel cause and left them in a very vulnerable position, and the only reason he didn't destroy them completely is due to a variable that he had no way of accounting for.

I think it's safe to assume that, for whatever reason, Thrawn stops fighting the rebels after this. He's not even mentioned in any of the other media so far, something may have happened to him. Perhaps, as some have suggested, he ends up getting called away to the unknown regions. Whatever the reason, this means that he's no longer there to act on the effects of his plan. The rebellion does survive, but only because the only person who treated them as a serious threat is now occupied with something else.

"On no fewer than four occasions I told the Emperor that I would not waste his troops and ships attacking an enemy which I was not yet prepared to defeat."

Unless you're referring to a different quote, this one is very much consistent with the NEU Thrawn, and is definitely indicative of the "bigger picture" mindset that Thrawn has in Rebels.

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In all fairness, I don't think Thrawn is counting this a straightforward win, just analyzing a bad situation to grab the best of what he can from it. If anything, I got the impression that Thrawn was honestly impressed that the Rebels managed to turn the situation around on him and not give away the location of their base entirely.

Darth_Garak and TheNerdyOne_ like this.
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That's very good, I think you might be right on there. Certainly I think you will be right on the bare gist of it, if nothing else.
    That then goes into the question of who he takes down before they get away, Is it just Redshirts or does he actually take out a GC member.

I disagree about him being the only one seeing the threat. Tarkin clearly did when he called in Vader. While Vader himself should after having his Inquisitors Killed/Losing his Holocron and being outsmarted by them twice.

As for the Emperor. He also told the Emperor to beware the Ewoks too ;)

Here's a question though, would you agree with me that having 22 episodes is maybe to many a season for Rebels. Which I would argue is one of the things that hurts Thrawn more than anything ?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Yeah, I got the impression Thrawn never set up that particular Star Destroyer for disaster, as he did with Konstantine's transport, so he would rather not have lost the Star Destroyer, (which, while probably salvageable for large parts, can never be put back into service again), but since he has now narrowed down the Rebel base to one out of 94 planets perhaps he is not nearly as upset as he would have been otherwise.

Also, that was a beautifully animated explosion! And I think the proton bomb detonation was very lucky, it looks like it not only exploded, but may have detonated some of the destroyer's own ordinances and additional infiltrator droids, ala USS Arizona.

[​IMG]

Higher definition version here

Gorefiend, Kylun and Cynical_Ben like this.
  24. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    It was funny because you think it might be repairable with the first big blast. Then all the secondary destructive explosions happen Then you see it breaking up in later shots and you're like , "Aw crap. That did just happen"

25. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Thrawn's a glass half full kind of guy.

Kylun, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.