main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    Ooooh Sabine's behaving like a typical teenager - I really like it!
    And I admire Kanan more and more - he must be really patient to deal with all that - first Ezra now Sabine. Poor guy!

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Again, does Kanan seem disabled to you? His eyes may not function anymore but to me it looks like he's still operating at full capacity. People in the real world don't have magic fantasy powers like Kanan does. His behavior on the show is not that of someone who can't see. He can see with the Force. Expensive cybernetic eyes would barely provide any tangible benefit to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yes, it's true that there is the disconnect between the Force powered people in Star Wars and the real world (I wish we had the Force available to use here too!). I will say that Kanan himself wanted the visual functionality back when he talked to Bendu, which is quite telling (and would have been a good time for members of the Ghost crew to chip in with potential, if impractical, tech options). And we know Ezra feels massive guilt about the situation, meaning he treats it seriously too.

Again, I just feel with all these characters expressing concern, potential solutions should be mentioned (I'm not asking for Kanan to actually have bionic eyes in a box delivered to him the next episode!) As for full functionality, Kanan needed Ezra's help to bridge the chasm on Geonosis in the recent episode with Saw, something he wouldn't need if he had normal vision. These little things can make all the difference in fast combat situations, so I don't personally call that full functionality.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    HISTORY! YES! GIVE ME MORE NU CANON HISTORY! RAIN IT DOWN ON ME FROM ABOVE THAT I MAY BATHE IN IT!

Here's a question: why does it matter that she knows how to duel with a sword so badly? Who is it she supposed to be fighting, particularly if nothing can stand up against a lightsaber?

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Wasn't this all discussed like 20-odd pages ago and we more or less agreed that Kanan probably doesn't want to end up like Count Vidian, who apparently was dangerous close to insane because of them?

Kanan's blind, yes. Does he need bionic eyes? I don't think so. It's his choice to be blind, so deal with it!

6. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016

Kanan says in one of the other clips that owning the Darksaber makes her a huge target, and that she'll be challenged for it constantly. Considering she's not force-sensitive, anyone who's better at swordfighting than her and has a good weapon has pretty good odds when challenging her. In terms of things that can stand up to a lightsaber, there's the electrostaffs that the MagnaGuards used, cortosis weapons, and the perfect thing to recanonize specifically for this purpose, Mandalorian iron.

Cynical_Ben and Kylun like this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well the reason we have a darksaber to begin with is that George Lucas said it couldn't not be a lightsaber, so I'm not optimistic for the future of Mandalorian Iron and cortosis, though I supposed anything's fair game now that he's out of the picture again. That said, if Sabine is attacked by a Magnaguard she's better off using rockets and blasters, probably.

8. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Based off my experience in Republic Commando I recommend spamming the living hell out of EMP grenades.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, those things were scary as HECK in RC.

MercenaryAce and BobaMatt like this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And yet, they did manage to make it lightsaber after all. How ironic!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He said couldn't not be.

LelalMekha likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, yes, right. I'm still half asleep.

BobaMatt, vncredleader and Ulicus like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's my excuse for about 60% of my posts. :p

Dawud786, BobaMatt, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  14. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    We have this episode and then a break - a month long. And the next one is about Mandalorians again. So I wonder if "Trials" ends with cliffhanger, just to make the wait even worse..

15. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It probably would have been better to air the two Mandalorian episodes together before the hiatus.

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Really, why it's just come back?!

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I was just thinking about why Thrawn doesn't seem as big a threat to our heroes in the series so far (in my opinion) than he did in the Legends Thrawn Trilogy, and it occurred to me that in the Thrawn Trilogy he had those ysalamiri around and near his troops to counteract any Jedi Force feats. I certainly believe that Thrawn's threat level would massively increase if he had these ysalamiri around to use against Kanan and Ezra, but I don't know if that's an idea Filoni would go for...

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Because the network determines the calendar length of a season, and there are fewer episodes ordered and produced than fit every week within that calendar season. They know where the season begins, and where it ends, and where they want a midseason finale and premiere to air, and then they just ... make the rest work.

19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I understand George dismissed the idea of living being that repelled the Force. Filoni, I believe, has said he's going along with that.

Vialco and Daneira like this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking too. My take on ysalamiri (and probably what Zahn's take on it should have been) is that ysalamiri don't actually repel the Force, but perhaps affect the Jedi directly from accessing it. It would be like blindfolding someone--the electromagnetic light spectrum is still there, a person just can't access it.

So this way, if Dooku was being Force choked on Serenno through a holoconference with Palpatine while Palpatine was on Coruscant, having a ysalamir on Serenno won't protect Dooku because the ysalamir isn't blocking the Force, it needs to block Palpatine from accessing it (i.e. the ysalamir needs to be in Palpatine's office on Coruscant).

But yeah, I guess ysalamiri would be opening a whole can of worms that could even leak into problems for Kylo and Snoke if the New Republic got their hands on some.

vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If George really didn't like ysalamiri, he wouldn't have let Zahn make them a major part of the Thrawn trilogy. If George really didn't like the Vong existing outside the Force, he wouldn't have allowed a giant multi book series to include that aspect. I see it more like that he just wasn't interested in telling stories with those things as aspects.

Also, there's ysalamir decorations in Thrawn's office in Rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywalker2B likes this.
  22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Because there's no history at all of George changing his mind on key aspects of Star Wars storytelling.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I always imagined the ysalamir calming or stilling the force around them.

But I don't think they would have made a difference so far. The only time Thrawn has been face to face with the rebels it was Hera. He is a commander, not a warrior - it is supposed to be his tactics that make him dangerous, not his personal tricks, particularly since his target is the largely non-FS rebels, not just the jedi.

I can kind of understand Kanen's point, but having and using a variety of techniques and skills is also important in the fight. Course, given the later line about using all of her abilities together, I bet he comes around on that point.

lakhota likes this.
  24. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

More! I demand more of this! :D

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was like seven pages behind in this thread but I just skipped all of it because I had to say that holy crap, this is an excellent episode. Maybe its best. And barely anything happens.