main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I mean, I've had a picture of a badass Sabine as my avatar for a while now, because I've had faith in the showrunners to give her an arc that makes her into a worthy ambassador of the Mandalorian ideal to a mainstream audience. She is to this canon what Karen Traviss's work was to the old one. Think about it: she's the first real OT-era Mandalorian we've ever seen outside of now non-canon comics and books. Boba Fett hardly counts, he's a cipher as to how much of an actual Mandalorian he is. The Mandalorians of the TCW era were a fractured people caught between conflicting ideals that wound up tearing their society apart. Sabine is something else, something new.

Sabine is fast becoming the culmination of the sort of story potential that their society has had ever since we first started to learn about it. A strong woman, independent, not beholden to her family, her clan, or anyone else except for her own beliefs and convictions, but still founded on tradition and proud of her heritage. She's a potent warrior, a mechanical and technological prodigy, and now she has the conviction to go back to her home and confront her own demons, to raise an army to fight the Empire. That would be a story worth watching even if she were not Mandalorian. But she is.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So that's what it was. I could see the Mando part but looking closer you're right that is Sabine.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

The Executor was the first Super Star Destroyer. And it wasn't completed until after the Battle of Yavin. So nobody can have one at this point in the timeline.

TheRedBlade and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    We see Tagge commanding from the Annihilator before the Executor is complete. But even that isn't until after Yavin.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I forgot about that. You're right, there was an SSD around shortly after Yavin. But I guess, according to Pablo, they aren't around in 2 BBY.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Great episode.

I've been noticing a lot of new lore on lightsabers since Disney took over. All this stuff on lightsabers being similar to the wands from JK Rowling's universe is new, right?

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I hope so, because I've been wondering about it for 20 years.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The whole thing about them choosing the user? That has been there for a long time. Kotor 2 in particular mentions it when you go to Dantooine.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Catalyst had a dreadnought under construction during it, I believe. And Annhilator predates the Executor... And one of the Rogue One guides mentioned Mandator-class dreadnoughts... Which means I have no idea what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The simplest solution, as always, is to assume "Super Star Destroyer" means Executor-class (which is only one type of dreadnought) except when it explicitly doesn't.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is it just me or does Fenn Rau and the mandalorions in the preview actually look like mandalorians now as opposed to the flat grey jumpsuits with fancy helmets we got in season 2

12. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Great episode.

Have they changed Fenn Rau's voice? Sounded less like Marvin the Martian in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Finally seen it and it was worth my time. A genuine character development episode with one of the main cast (WOW :eek:) . Best episode of the season by far and one of the best of the show. Let's just hope it will last.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Lightsabers have always been connected to their users, and I seem to remember Jedi being able to feel where their lightsaber was, or not having as easy a time using someone else's.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The stuff on kyber crystals being connected to their users is new. But as noted, it's not entirely unprecedented (KOTOR2's crystal cave as noted, though I observe the crystal's attunement to the exile was seen as rare).

It's cool. If they were going to go away from the EU-style "it's just a crystal with special properties, but there's still something special about the one you make your own," this is a good way to do it. It's different from that, but still feels consistent. And most importantly, I think it makes sense to the films as we know them.

And as much as I think the crystal bleed idea is silly, it at least justifies the weirdness of the saber colors as seen in the films.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

When you think about it, it makes sense. There may have been hints previously, but the EU always ran with the idea that lightsabers were JUST technology and the Jedi used the Force to just tweak it a bit so the efficiency of the lightsaber was such that you didn't have to constantly change batteries or put it on a charger after every use.

Remember, though, that TCW established the Gathering before Disney bought the franchise. GL seemingly always had the idea that the lightsaber was much more intimately tied to the Jedi through the Force than the EU ever really bother with, at least in a kind of embryonic state. We definitely have younglings go into the caves of Ilum to find, and be found by, their Kyber crystals.

I also seem to recall Mace Windu having a particularly strong connection to his lightsaber, such that he could use it like a homing beacon.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm curious about the question of saber colors, in this case, particularly because then what does it mean that Mace Windu has a purple blade, and that the Jedi Temple guards have yellow ones? And doesn't Asajj have a yellow one, too? Ahsoka's shoto was yellow... Why did't all of Grievous' sabers eventually turn red?

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Megatron had a purple Lightsaber too don't forget :p

http://orig07.deviantart.net/5867/f/2015/277/e/b/megatronlightsaber_by_redhavic-d9by96m.jpg

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Grievous wasn't a force user, and iirc blades don't just turn red when you're using them. I think it has to do with re-attuning them to a new saber. Anakin's blade was blue in ROTS, it wasn't until he made a new one that it became red.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    My understanding is that crystal bleeding only occurs during the construction process. They don't just change colour through use.

^^^ EDIT: Per Jello.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I suspect this is the answer, but I'm surprised that sustained service by the dark side wouldn't make a saber change. Grievous isn't a Force user, but he sure did clobber a lot of good guy Force users with those sabers.

But I get it: they're not mood rings, they're a fancy construction material.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Interesting to think that part of the reason Dooku owns Ani and Obi at the end of AotC was because they were using borrowed sabers.

23. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017

Actually IMHO that is lame. It minimizes a great victory of Dooku and one of the best fights of the movie and puts into question any fight with borrowed lightsabers. I pray to God that is not the case.

CT1138 and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think I can say yet if I fully like or dislike it, but it makes me think a lot about the "Excalibur" thing--that Lucas told the OT actors the lightsabers were heavy, then seemed to go against that idea in the prequels. It was never more than a curiosity for me before, but it could have wide-reaching implications.

I will say that calling it a factor in the AotC duel isn't the same as calling the results into question--I'd imagine a real master swordsman can fight excellently with a variety of swords, but will always do best with his own personal favorite because he's used to the weight, balance, etc. This would just be adding a touch of "realism" to lightsabers so they're more significant and less interchangeable.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It isn't a huge deal to me, but I do have to admit I am annoyed by the all the nucanon info about lightsabers and kyber crystals and how they work.

Frankly I preferred it when there just lots of different kinds of lightsaber crystals and that they came in different colors, and Sith just use red a lot because they favor powerful but unstable synthetic crystals.

I liked it even more before that when good and bad jedi alike used a rainbow of lightsaber colors.