main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Back in Season One, Tarkin:

wore something pretty similar:

[​IMG]

2. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Overall I personally thought the episode was fantastic. No complaints here really.

One thing I think they could have done differently throughout the series, however, is how they handled Sato. I think his sacrifice would have been much more meaningful if they had played up a rivalry with Konstantine. They tried to do something similar with Thrawn, though they didn't really capitalize on it, but I think Konstantine would have been a much better choice anyway. The two had multiple run ins throughout the series, from Sato's introduction to his death. It would have been a great opportunity to make both of them more engaging had they, perhaps, served together at some point and knew each other.

Konstantine wouldn't have been just some admiral seeking glory in the finale, but instead would have been motivated by vengeance. And Sato's sacrifice to destroy Konstantine's ship would have meant so much more in that context.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Yeah, but the White and Gold. IT REPRODUCES THE SHOULDER GOLD. If Jay could, he would soooo have Gold Epaulets on any body armor he wore.

Vthuil, Dante1120, Daneira and 3 others like this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Ryder looks down at what is likely a computer and says surprised, that several Imp ships have left the system. It also makes sense based on Thrawn's thematics. he would totally have ships en route and then send others out perfectly timed to make it seem like he is impossibly quick. Nice fear tactic. Also good call on a slower signal being harder to trace. Makes sense.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Taalcon - the helmets are still dorky.

Something else that just it me (EE spoiler):

Konstantine going rogue and leaving his Interdictor vulnerable is reminiscent of the ISD captain at Jakku who freaks out and rams a Starhawk, leaving the Ravager vulnerable and basically losing the whole battle.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm honestly worried they're going to be wrapping up Rebels soon, in a season or two at least. That will probably be with Rogue One as the place they're in place for.

Then they may start another series.

I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be set in the "modern" EU with Ezra as an old Jedi.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If they get two more seasons that's incredibly long for an animated series--I'd be amazed if there isn't at least a rebranding after this year.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Presumably they're modelled on the one Veers wears in TESB:
    or possibly the ones the AT-ST drivers wear in ROTJ:

vncredleader likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I think they're holding out for The Last Jedi that will give them presumably enough information to do another series.

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Jid123Sheeve does your Thrawn fan fic have a scene like that?

I assume Veers cause I always took his outfit to be standard for the leader of a ground assault or something.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Still... it's funny that

Thrawn is walking around the frontlines of the battlefield, with only that helmet on... you'd think he'd have better armor to go along with it. Like, real armor. Not whatever the stormtroopers wear.

But with Yavin already being set-up, along with Dantooine... it makes me wonder how many Rebel bases there are. Perhaps Vader/Tarkin were wrong in ANH that Yavin 4 was "THE" rebel base? It might be the most important one, but there could still be other Rebel bases in the galaxy.

Also, in retrospect, it was probably a good thing they didn't liberate Lothal... or it might have found itself the target of the Death Star in Rogue One or A New Hope. And I don't think the Rebels ever occupied a planet until after ROTJ, when it became the New Republic, it just isn't the Rebel style to play defense for an entire occupied planet like that. Even if Hera had it liberated for a few days, it would have quickly devolved to a Jeddah situation.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. I love it. I need it. The gold attentes and the gold bits on the helmet are so unnecessary.... but so lovely.

I hope we get concept art of it, because it'll be my next icon. It's glorious.

Like I said, "What Jedi devilry is this?" is a beautiful reaction to that. So understated and yet. It's basically, "really?!"

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I still think it's so cool that as we finish the Maul Rebels arc for this season, there's a Maul backstory comic in the process of coming out, and as we finish Thrawn's Rebels arc for this season, within weeks, there's a Thrawn backstory novel coming out. This is the best kind of tie-in synergy.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So is Thrawn now Nietzsche or I guess Hegel arguably?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, this getup is basically the Imperial officer version of throwing on a bulletproof vest before going into the field.

Kylun likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    thats why I'm glad he's not dead. The Funko and the book would be bittersweet if he had.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Somehow Veers is the only one who can pull it off. :p

Darth_Pevra and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Pfft. Shooting god, that's tame compared to stuff i got him doing.

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Might be because his is wider - less close-fitting at the sides, so the angle between the sides and the bit crossing his forehead is not as sharp.

20. AusartheVile

AusartheVile Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2016
    Musing on Ezra again, once again, even with the Bendu's massive rage attack, and other factors, if Ezra hadn't relied on his connection with Sabine, and aimed to gain Clan Wrens assistance the Rebels would have been totally wiped out due to the last Interdector. Ezra as always subtly changes the outcome for the Rebels. The Force is with him again now that he's on the right path, not on Mauls. Though I do like that Maul's ship is now Ezra's. Maul for better or for worse, did effect Ezra's life. Ezra is truly Maul's legacy, as well as Kanan's. It's interesting, the heir to Maul's legacy working with Mandalorians against overwhelming forces. Heh.

Why is it that Ezra actually is a decent character? Like seriously, Ezra when he first started out sounded like a cliche. But they actually made the being from the streets a critical part of his character, and developed him into something really awesome. Now that he's finally over his dark side phase (I'm certain of this at this point.) I really want to see where he goes next. He's becoming a very well rounded character.

Also, did anyone notice that the Bendu said that Attalion was made to be hard to find ON PURPOSE? That planet even now has been stated again and again to be very ALIEN. Creatures unabled to be controlled by the Force, the Bendu, it's very primordial. Something tells me that's one of those mysteries that books and comics might explore, but nothing the show will cover thanks to the events of the Finale. Also the Bendu is totally not gone. He's gonna be a factor again in some form in the Star Wars universe. At the very least, he ****ed with Thrawns head a bit.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Tarkin seems to have been using AT-DP cuirass armor and helmet without the frontal driver's shield/visor. Thrawn seems to have the same or similar modeled helmet but a different cuirass (the style seems to have been around since the Clone Wars still), but Rebels era fashioned rather that exact OT era match. Thrawn knew about Jedi during the Clone Wars, but does not take any anti-Jedi armed and trained troops(apparently Inquisitor's are off the grid despite Vader and Tarkin knowing these rebels have Jedi and have cost them dearly) or even electrostaff armed soldiers. What was his big plan on the ground, to bore them to death talking about art while he does some kung fu poses with his biceps?!

22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    To be honest, Coop, I felt the same thing about Dantooine not being mentioned - for a moment.

We need to honestly look again at what ANH actually said about Dantooine: that a Rebel base was there (no mention of how large or elaborate); that it was deserted for some time when the Empire found it (the novelization says it had been possibly abandoned for years - which, when taking the time frame of this season into account, actually tracks perfectly).

This notion that the Rebels actually founded a serious base there before proceeding to Yavin is all from the EU and nowhere else. And it's as currently applicable as the REST of the EU now: not at all, unless the writers of the show CHOOSE to make it so.

The nearest I can figure is that you're right: Dantooine was a base only so long as it took to formally establish the Rebel Alliance (assuming that's what they did around there), but they probably dared not set down any real roots there. Yavin may be the Alliance headquarters base RIGHT NOW - based on the dialogue, that's a pretty strong possibility. The other option that fits the facts is that Dodonna's group (the largest of all the various groups, if I heard correctly) had been set up on Yavin for some time, certainly for the past year if not longer, and BEFORE there was an Alliance, let alone a need for Yavin to be the Alliance base.

And a word about Thrawn's armor: when I first read Heir to the Empire in 1991 and Thrawn was going down to Wayland to contact C'baoth for the first time, I genuinely imagined him in a special white body armor and helmet combo over his white uniform that looked almost EXACTLY like this, down to the little details. Only the cuirass is slightly (and I do mean SLIGHTLY) different. It's rare that the boys at LFL tap into my headcanon and make it flesh, but they certainly did so here. Gold star for them!

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's arguably even better for me, as it will go:

Thrawn then Rebels S3 on DVD

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Agreed. It's beautiful but honestly while the cuirass is great, the helmet doesn't work with Thrawn. Or Tarkin. They shouldn't wear hats. It reduces their dignity.

Pfluegermeister iirc Thrawn had armor under the uniform on Wayland, not over.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

You mean Tarkin has dignity?