main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I suppose....

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well Vader showed up at the start and then the end of S2 and to a certain extent it was the same with The Inquisitor in S1 so I’d guess Pappa Palpatine shows up in the end episode.
    As for Thrawn meh ... he’s been so so in S3 (I can’t comment on S4) Brilliantly voice acted but the character is so different from EU Thrawn (even from Thrawn in Zahns new book) and rather bland, I shrug my shoulders a bit. There is only so many times a guy can steeple his fingers while talking about his plan, that can be done interestingly.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    you say that, but I don't think he has actually ever literally steppled his fingers once in the show. He's been slow moving, but he has been occasionally effective in a way that the other Imperial characters haven't. Maybe not brilliant in the way that the novels depict him, but they do make the effort to show him as smarter than your average Imperial and someone who gets the odd win over the heroes.

The problem is, the show is getting fairly spiritual with the Force, with the Jedi protagonists of the show being more keyed into that, Mortis factoring in, and Thrawn has no real place in that part of the storyline. Even in Zahn's novels he's never been a character connected to part of the mythology.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's more likely that there'll be two intertwining storylines - the mystical Jedi/Force stuff, and the more 'conventional' Rebellion. Thrawn's likely to be the antagonist for the latter one. Given the Chimaera's pride of place on the poster, no way does he just get shuffled off early.

Edit: Ooooo

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I wonder if this is the medium through which we'll finally see how that fight in the Malachor Temple ended...

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Only if we see it in the show itself. The cinestory comics are just screen grabs from the show put in a book.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I think you might be on the right track here. I took a look at the Empire's End Novel again (specifically the parts with Rax and Palpatine) And Palpatine mentions that he was sensing this mysterious call from the Unknown Regions, and that from his perspective it was he believed the source of the Darkside. I think he even called it a wellspring?

Of course I re-watched the Mortis arc as well and the Father told Anakin that on Mortis there was a place on the planet where all of the Darkside energy of the Universe was being Channeled.

revan772 likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It is so good to have him back.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I wonder if the Mortis connection is hinting at Abeloth making it to canon? The Ones aren't alive to keep her contained. We keep seeing this convoree that used to be familial to the Daughter. If Abeloth was actually imprisoned on Lothal, the actions of the Empire devastating the planet might hasten her release. Palpatine would have sensed this threat, and it would explain why the Loth Wolves are out and about on Lothal prophesying doom after at least a century of not being seen.
    Palps and Ezra might be able to take her down together if they retcon her to be weaker when she's released from her imprisonment. Maybe Ezra bites the dust and Palps kills two birds with one stone. That way Ezra still goes out as a hero, saving Lothal and the galaxy, and Palps is still around for Luke to deal with in the OT.

kalzeth and Daneira like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why would it hint at anythying like that?

Stymi and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah...that would be so out of left field that they'd have to come up with a new phrase that was worse than "jumping the shark." Maybe something like "revealing the demon plant goddess"? :p

Random Comments and quinlan solo like this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Why else would the Ones be relevant at this point in the timeline? A way to shoehorn Ahsoka back into the story for the finale? No thanks. A simple callback to TCW? maybe - but kind of lame. We don't need more callbacks to TCW in Rebels unless they're relevant to the story.

my kind of scum and kalzeth like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just go the whole hog:

We must seek out the elusive Jedi survivor, Master F'Onz.

Revanfan1 and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Abeloth in Rebels would be so ridiculous and hilarious. I approve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Holy crap... I just realized Thrawn is Lady Eboshi!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and doing a search for "Princess Mononoke Star Wars" comes up with an OS article that specifically says Bendu is like the forest god (http://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema-behind-star-wars-princess-mononoke-ahsoka-tano): "A very “forest-spirit” like creature that has made his way onto Star Wars Rebels in this role is the Bendu. He’s a god-like being operating on a level different than those around him. Mystical in the way the great forest spirit is."

WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS BEFORE?!?

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I think Abeloth in Rebels would be awesome. But it's SO not happening... I mean, yes, they did use Thrawn, but he was this EU superstar even casual fans had heard about at least once. Abeloth? Well, she's much less well known, and good luck for introducing her efficiently in a 20-minute episode.

BTW, I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I've noticed that in the trailer
    the convor bird has the same color scheme as the Daughter.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder if the
    Bird is the Daughters Legacy... and Snoke is the Son’s. Eh. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

That would be a very interesting story but I doubt they'll do it.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Abeloth was poorly written in Legends. She was only shoehorned into the Mortis characters by Troy Denning in a situation that didn't really make sense. I'll be glad if she never turns up ever ever EVER again.

DarthSienna likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    From the introduction of Maul into the series, through Bendu, and now the wolves, Ezra and Kanan's story has been very wrapped up in exploring the sides of the Force, the balance, the "middle," which is what Mortis was largely about. My guess is the Lothal temple has a special connection to Mortis, and Kanan and/or Ezra don't die to keep them out of the original trilogy, but take over as guardian(s) of the temple/Lothal's special destiny/the balance.

22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I really liked Abeloth when she was first introduced, her and her planet were exceptionally creepy.

I liked her less and less as the series went on, even before the last second Mortis rewrite was completely unnecessary.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    If she had her own trilogy (with no connection to the current crap) and the lack of a Mortis connection too, and you know actually died!, I would've liked her. Putting her in the middle of a series that was supposed to figure out where Jacen went Dark Side amongst the chaos that is Daala, really took away from the story.

Fate of the Jedi should've been a nine-part trilogy focusing on Luke and Ben finding out what happened to Jacen (whether Daala exiled him or Luke came to the choice on his own is another question), the Galactic Alliance facing an election between Daala and various new contenders (a younger pro-Imperial Haydet Treen, anti-Jedi candidate Kameron Suldar (not a Sith lord), pro-Jedi candidate Padvil Ovin) with the Jedi being part of the focus. No Mandalorians, no Sith, no crazy Force being. True political / mystery nine part with maybe the Imperials dealing with an internal crisis, the Hutts in a civil war with the GA supporting both sides, and a break out of possible new hostilities between the still largely independent Confederation and the GA through an accident (with the Jedi being the neutral third party - Corellia under Denjax Teppler [who sides with the Jedi instead], Kashyyyk and Hapes), cultiminating in an attack that devastates Coruscant so severely, the government is forced to transplant elsewhere and the perpetrators being Treen, Lecersen, Thraal, a younger Fost Bramsin and Salinor Pavera to win the election for Treen's faction (with Daala and Suldar's faction being among the casualties), leading Ovin to win the election and Wynn Dorvan becoming chief of staff and Luke figuring it out that the Jacen responsible for the chaos since the Dark Nest crisis wasn't really Jacen at all.

Sorry to put this in the midst of a Star Wars Rebels thread :(.

24. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    Under the spoiler is a tweet from Freddie Prinze Jr. about what's going on with Hera (nothing surprising or anything, with regards to season 4) but...
    [​IMG]
    Can we just talk about how he keeps calling Hera 'my lady Twi'? Because that's so adorable

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  25. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Why wouldn't the Ones be relevant at this point in the timeline?

The Ones were a manifestation of the balance of the Force. The balance of the Force is currently nonexistent, and as has been a running theme in Star Wars lately, the Force tends to fix itself when this happens. The Ones are a perfect conduit for that.

You do have a good point about the Lothwolves though. However, like it or not Ahsoka is definitely involved in this. Here's my theory:
    As shown in the mural, as well as Luke's compass in Battlefront/TFA, the Ones were once able to travel between worlds using the Force before the Father exiled them to Mortis. Only certain worlds were strong enough in the Force to allow for this though, Lothal, Malachor, and Ahch-to are among them. We see Ezra using one of these Force bridges, if you will, in the trailer, being guided by the Convor avatar of the Daughter. Ahsoka used these same bridges after the duel on Malachor (source), also guided by the Daughter. Wherever Ahsoka ended up is connected to the Loth-wolves, in fact I'd bet that her arrival triggered their return to Lothal, and set in motion the return of the Ones.

As for Palpatine's role in this, the compass Luke took from his observatory on Pillio is very similar to the patterns surrounding the Lothal temple, as well as the mural featuring the Ones shown in the trailer. Assuming this is a map of Force bridges, Palpatine is obviously aware of them and likely pretty interested in their power. Especially as they relate to the Ones, and while he may not know much about them I'm sure he knows that they're a threat to his Empire. This may be connected to Palpatine's belief that there is a source of dark side energy waiting in the unknown regions.

kalzeth and Supreme Leader Woke like this.