main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Well, there goes my favorite character of the New Canon...his Infinity figure will forever be on my desk. It was beautifully done, Hera and Kanan have been a real joy from A New Dawn to now. Their story is definitely my favorite since 2014.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    And the true villain finally arrives. Lothal had better prepare itself for a Royal Visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rennzwerg likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Wow, Hera is actually wearing her goggles!

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Any chance Hera saves Kanan's ponytail and visits Kamino someday?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    My thoughts on DUME, which I felt was the better of the two episodes.

- Zeb hugging Ezra was heartwarming.
    Chopper taking Hera's hand made me tear up. That was adorable.

- Oh, woe, defeatist attitude.
    Granted, it may very well be over.
    I'm really upset that the guy isn't letting Hera mourn. I understand they need to get things going, and we didn't see any of the Big Three fall apart on screen....yet we know they did afterwards. Also, Luke totally would have if it wasn't for an immediate pressing situation.Berating Hera was a crap move.

- What the Loth-wolf?

- Hera 100% told Kanan she loved him before 4x10. They are married (or near enough to it). This show destroys all Head!Canons, darn it.

- Zeb freaking out from Rukh's eyes is a little OOC and immature. He doesn't typically act so...meek, does he?

- RUKH AND NOGHRI INVISIBILITY! So awesome.
    The paint grenade was a bit stupid, yet I'm glad Rukh didn't die. And I understand why Sabine did it. POW.
    Oh. Or childish spray paint. *sigh*

- The Jedi Temple is in danger? Huh? But....it doesn't exist anymore (?)

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    What if in the end, we see a Lothwolf, a Lothcat, and the Owl creature all walking / flying through a door, turns into Mortis, and the creatures turn into Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka? That could be interesting.

8. Psychenous

Psychenous Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2017
    I personally thought that Kanan's death was a bit too predictable in Jedi Night. During the good-bye scenes between him and Ezra I was like, "He's so dead!" I get why they did it, but I think his death would have shocked me more if it was not there.

Also Hera high on drugs is probably the funniest thing I have seen in the entire show.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think that's exactly what they were going for; that inevitability that Kanan knows his fate. Like, realizing what it means when Spock leaves the bridge for the engine room in Wrath of Khan, or the first time Han and Leia speak about Kylo in TFA -- you know Han's gonna get himself killed, so it makes it feel all the more tragic that he's willingly putting himself in that situation, knowing he's doomed. Kanan going through his ritual is absolutely him getting his affairs in order before he goes out to die. It's very samurai.

BigAl6ft6 and vncredleader like this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I thought it was pretty “racist” how Zeb and Sabine were making fun of Ruth’s appearance and calling him a creepy demented baby and such. Speciesism isn’t cool in the Rebellion... unless they’re Noghri apparently.

Semi-related note, I like how Pryce, with her fake Core accent, says “fuel dee-poe” contrasted with Rukh, voiced by an actual British person, who says “deh-po”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah did they forget that in the GFFA aliens are real to the people in universe. Like for us they are fictional, but I would want better from my heroes

What if he was a fully literate mystical wolf?

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    dp

13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    "Would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?"

Aliens have always been treated as "other" in Star Wars.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah and that needs to be improved upon. Heck eve Del Rey mocked that line from Leia. That was the first film, but now we have lived in this world. I feel having characters in a family show use slurs and whatnot to mock someone, is wrong even if ANH had someone do that. Yeah he is a villain and everything, but still it just comes off mean spirited.

Like it reminds me of the controversy over the "spoon head" line in DS0s Empok Nor. They felt uncomfortable with it, and only decided to keep it cause it showed a moment of weakness admits a war. And said person ended up getting killed by a Cardassian right after. It fit the show and scene, this just felt tone deaf.

Plus Rebels has used aliens as oppressed on the whole by the empire. It feels off to have our heroes treat someone the same way characters like Konstantine treated Hera

Daneira likes this.
  15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Sure, it needs improving, but Star Wars isn't Star Trek; it's always made "aliens" synonymous with "monsters", even long after ANH. Maz's castle is full of strange, weird creatures the humans are advised not to stare at. TLJ makes them monsters of a different class. Honestly only Rogue One has really integrated them properly, and even then there are still the unsettling creatures in Saw's base meant to evoke a dangerous atmosphere for Jyn and co.

But yes, the slurs could do with being reconsidered. The Sabine/Zeb B-plot seemed like a bit of careless, throwback fun anyway, to contrast the seriousness of the main plot, so the writing did seem to fall back on cheap gags.

SilentGuy66 and vncredleader like this.
  16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I honestly wonder if that plot was just there cause they were a bit too short in the script

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Unless they want to introduce Kanaan Jarrus into the mix.

19. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Kanan Jarruus, actually. And due to clone madness, will go dark side. He will end up guarding the Emperor's Observatory Storehouse on Wayland, where Thrawn will find him about five years after the Battle of Endor and recruit him to...

Beh, you get the idea. :p

20. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sounds very familiar.

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Not Rebels but going through the tv section threads I found this tweet that could potentially be info about the next animated series.

Would make sense because that would virtually be a continuation of Rebels just like Rebels was somewhat of a continuation of Clone Wars.

Vialco likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dave-f...rge-lucas-and-tolkien-impact-star-wars-rebels

I am assuming you can't answer this, but will we see Kanan again?

Dave Filoni: That's a great question. I'm not gonna say. The only thing I would bring up about that, and I'm imagining flying force ghosts, is that I learned from George that being a force ghost isn't just as easy as dying and then you reappear. There's actually a whole philosophy and methodology around it that we got into in Clone Wars with Yoda and Qui-Gon and how Jedi in the prequel era don't actually believe that you can maintain your own individual consciousness after death. They believe you're part of the living force at first and then you pass on and become part of the cosmic force and part of the whole.

In that way, when you see the Dume wolf, to say that Dume isn't exactly Kanan, it's not his individual consciousness, but it is a part of the whole. All material is matter, all things at one level on the same level in different states constantly changing. So Dume is kind of a version of that. There's a consciousness to some degree of Kanan in it, but not so active that it would say, "Hello, Ezra."

I really didn't want Kanan to die, [but] the fact that he was being a hero in the moment and completing the mission and in a way fulfilling his promise to Hera, all in that moment, was incredible. If he had to go, that would be the way to do it.

I really appreciate that. I do not subscribe at all to the idea that because there's one line in a movie that says "When gone am I the last of the Jedi you will be" that my characters have to die. I don't buy into that in the least. I think all those lines are subjective. When I see people saying they have to die, that's absolutely not true.

I definitely try to make it the story it needs to be for Star Wars Rebels. That's something that when I talk to Kiri Hart and she and Simon Kinberg and I have always been focused on. I know the movies, but we have to answer the problems and questions we set up in this show and show how to deal with them and remain very true to what George always taught me about Star Wars and about the Jedi and about selflessness and selfless actions.

The most significant action of Luke Skywalker is to throw away his weapon [in Return of the Jedi]. That's when he becomes a Jedi. Not because of some power he learns as a Jedi, not because of some way to use the force, it's his capacity to care about his father and to be willing to die for him. That's the entire ball game right there. I will lay down my arms. You cannot hurt me.

What he's telling the Emperor there is the same thing that Obi-Wan told Vader, "If you strike me down I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." But people that are evil and filled with fear don't understand that when Obi-Wan dies to Vader's hand that he's become powerful. They only think the Death Star is powerful. But Obi-Wan becomes the inspiration that motivates Luke to become something that Luke couldn't have become otherwise.

That's how you really win over evil in the end. It's not about being the hero, it's about doing something that's right and good just because you believe in it. That's what we need a lot of right now. I think Kanan being able to embody that for this boy who grew up on this planet who needs to understand that, he lost his parents before, you could, of course, lose them again, what Kanan's trying to show him is how he led his life and what he chose to have his life be about is important. And that it's for others.

Those are the key things that I think drive the story of Rebels and hopefully, it works. It's not easy stuff in the story but I think we get somewhere that we'll see what people think. We're so close now. I'm so glad you guys are getting to watch it. I like that we can have these discussions. It's exciting for me.

[Right about this point, I may have started to cry. Like one does.]

I ask myself all the time why do I do these stories the way I do. They tend to have this drama unfold in them. I don't know, I like that people feel. I think it's important to feel and be invested in things. When I see that people care about the good things, it makes me think there's a lot of hope out there that we all in-kind want the same thing. For good things to happen and for us to prevail over what is otherwise known as evil.

We have to accept that sometimes, Kanan leads the way, Obi-Wan, Gandalf even, "Fly you fool, fly." Those are the heroes I grew up with. Obi-Wan and Gandalf and Frodo. For me as a kid, reading Lord of the Rings, I realized at one point reading the books that Frodo's up there on this Mount Doom, he's never met anybody from Gondor, he's never met anybody from Rohan, and he doesn't know the people. He didn't live there or grow up there. But he's ready to die for all these people. Because it's the right thing to do, it's for the greater good. That's very powerful to me. Those things lasted with me obviously all the way through my life. Working with George really helped focus my storytelling to help get you guys. And we have a great team here that love these stories and characters too.

24. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Siiiiiighs forever.

Ghost and Vialco like this.
  25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Doesn't Boromir kind of have a point though? He said Frodo thinks the way he does because he was indoctrinated by Bilbo, Elrond, Gandalf, etc. Even though Boromir is just saying this to get the Ring, what he said wasn't necessarily wrong. Frodo is "good" because he was raised to be good. People like the Mouth of Sauron, who didn't even remember his own name, was bad becaise he was raised to be bad.

If Frodo had been raised by Sauron, we'd have a very different story. Some people turn out bad or good despite their environment, like Kylo Ren. But I feel this is more the exception rather than the rule.

Ezra is good because Kanan got to him first. If Palpatine got to him first, we'd basically have a Darth Maul situation--someone raised to be evil.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Vialco and kalzeth like this.