main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The bunch of them are a team anyway, and Ezra's youthful rebellion isn't all that different from what the Onderon kids did; the "Rebels" will all do what rebels do, no matter the age, and kids will have to look up to all of them. This isn't even Firefly, where a crew member like Jayne is likely to happen - one that is generally a bad human being without a heart of gold that will betray his fellow crew members for money - and even Firefly didn't manage to make Jayne unlikeable. They just made him give his weapon a woman's name and a silly poodle hat and everyone loved him. Oh, and of course he's got a heart of gold in there as long as the story demands it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    It means her last name is relevant to some future plot (likely involving the Mandalorians). So guesses are it's probably Vizla or Kryze.

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder how Sabine is going to view resisting the Empire. Since going by the standards established by TCW (and hence the sole canon, of course) if she's a Mandalorian and isn't a pacifist, she's one of the bad guy Mandalorians.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Bo-Katan sure didn't end up pictured as one of the bad guys, er, girls.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

We ask that you put all your responses in a single post whenever possible. Please try not to repeat the above again, thanks.

6. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013

What about Dark Forces? That game was awesome! It gave us Chuck Norris Kyle Katarn!

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, and as the Republic/Empire comics taught us, bad guys love other bad guys! Never mind that the whole point was that the Republic turned into the Empire; folks that hate the Republic will obviously love the Empire! Sigh.

I like that she's on the rebel crew. It ties back nicely to the idea the Empire and the Mandalorians really do not get along. It's a very pleasant surprise. I'd have been so unsurprised if they'd just been lazy and had Mandos as imperial enforcers.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Contessa, Ordo N-11 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    ok can i ask how i am supposed to reply to multiple people without doing this? And why is this such a big deal anyway? Just wanting to know. I have been on here for years, double posting and no one said anything in all this time. I guess i could copy and paste peoples names and copy and paste what people say, but that is a lot of work, if you respond to lots of posts

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Like this.
    Multiple quotes.
    Prevents people from spam posting.

Ulicus likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Or just push the reply button to the posts you want to reply to before writing your replies, and the quoted portions will appear in the text field at the bottom of the screen.

11. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    What Egon said

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also the Edit button, the Edit button and the Edit button

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, the edit button runs out after a hour or so. You can miss things. It happens. Now if one after another in meer minutes, that shouldn't be. But if it's like "I responded to this" and then 2 hrs later it's like "damn, forgot to respond to that" I think you should be able to get away with it.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

It wasn't really that simple. Not all the New Mandalorians were strict, dyed-in-the-wool, no-exceptions pacifists. Not only would that be an unrealistic way to interpret the Mandalore of TCW, it was explicitly shown not to be so when a big portion of the citizenry decided to follow Pre Viszla (and then Maul) instead of Satine. And I'd hesitate to call all those people "bad", even if they were misguided. Not to mention Bo-Katan, who was later portrayed in a quasi-heroic light despite being a former member of an explicit terrorist organization.

And there's also the fact that TCW never portrayed non-pacifists as automatically bad people, regardless of what culture they came from. That was one of the main conflicts in ideology between Obi-Wan and Satine, if you'll recall, and Obi-Wan is a hero.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    To be fair Palps is probably pretty laissez faire on the the capitalist front. He is not going interfere in explotative business practices, slavery and crime unless it interferes with the military.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not really - scenes cut from the first movie, but present in the novelization, establish that the Empire is nationalizing a lot of businesses in the Core, and is starting to extend its reach outwards. Similarly, there are EU stories and backstories dealing with the ways the Empire has been taking increasing control of private businesses, especially ex-CIS ones: sometimes the assets are nationalized, other times they are given as rewards to loyalist companies like TaggeCo.

Plus, a lot of the CIS turned Imperial aren't the business factions - they tend to be the more anti-jedi groups, as well as some of the more war like cultures like the Trandoshens.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

This is a case where the Empire is actually best described as fascist, despite the way that word has been turned into an imprecise, general-use insult towards overbearing governments someone doesn't like. The Empire props up and collaborates with businesses which support its agenda, and may even grant them free reign beyond anything the Republic would ever have provided, due to the latter's restrictions on immoral and/or unethical practices. But the Empire also has no problem completely nationalizing any business which crosses them or whose activities don't support their interests.

It's not as simple as making the Empire out to be Space Republicans or Space Democrats. Though I will say the former subtext does clearly exist based on Anakin's dialogue in Episode III and Palpatine's being based largely on Richard Nixon--and, to a lesser extent, Lucas's outspoken liberalism--that mostly applies to the moral authoritarian bent of the Empire, and has little to do with its policies regarding free enterprise.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hit reply to the post you want to respond to.

Respond.

Before you post, hit reply to the next post you want to respond to. It will appear in the same box.

Respond.

Etc.

It's that easy.

And, if you forget, you can use edit and copy/paste.

It's not a big deal. It's just a simple way of decluttering the boards and, as Coop mentions, it prevents spam posting. I didn't ask you to turn a plain instruction into a dialogue. :p

I've previously warned you against quadruple posting. So that's not true.

I've not noticed you doing it on other occasions but I'll take your word for it.

Of course. We do check the edit times.

Though, generally, we'd prefer people to refrain from bumping a thread that they were the last one to reply to.

We will all stop discussing this, now. At least in the Rebels thread.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Matteus is gonna return with a Mando helmet and a can of spraypaint. Just you watch.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What a rebel.

21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    But does he have a cause?

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    probably not. sorry to cause all the problems

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So Vanessa Marshall is my new favorite person.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003