main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It is about Rebels. Not the Rebellion. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

It would be more like a title about X-Men but not the main cast people typically think of as the X-Men, which happens pretty much all the time.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The title seems very accurate.

It's about a group of Rebels.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But Dantooine, though...

DelRiego and sidv88 like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah the Dantooine lack of mention would be like the tv show Enterprise going through it's run without even a single mention of Romulans. Dantooine is as ingrained into the mythology of the Rebel history pre-ANH as the Romulan Star Empire was ingrained into the 22nd century history of Star Trek.

No "but this show focuses on Archer's crew" claims would have undone the fact that Romulans needed to be on the show (which thankfully they were). I don't know why "but this show focuses on the Ghost" excuses the lack of Dantooine...

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Funnily, I remember Enterprise skipping over the Romulan War for some reason and instead doing the weird Xindi one.

At the risk of sounding dismissive - why do these Rebels have to be on Dantooine?

They were supposed to be the Lothal cell.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Dantooine is literally in the Mothma episode, though. It's just that the Ghost crew doesn't hang out there.

Jedi Princess and Gudenruben2 like this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, I just checked the wiki for the episode and you're right, I must have missed this when viewing. Well, I guess Filoni technically addressed it then...

Vialco likes this.
  8. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    still, Jedi running around. ugh

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There also seems to be an assumption that the entire Alliance goes through a strict progression from one base to the next: Dantooine to Yavin 4 to Hoth, which may be partly based on Legends. But the new canon seems a lot more interested in individual rebel cells, so it's probably likely that Dantooine is just one of any number of bases (along with Atollon, Crait, and others), instead of The Base everyone who's anyone in the Rebellion has to end up on.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This isn't based on Legends, but on the original ANH movie itself. Why would Vader and Tarkin be so sure that Yavin 4's destruction would mean the end of the Rebellion if there are a dozen other Rebel bases in the galaxy? The original film set the tone for the Rebels having one main base at a time, and it is the Rebels tv show that is straying from what Lucas told us in the movies.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017

If we were to believe in the Twilight Company novel (it's canon) the Rebellion have many bases across the galaxy given the huge amount of ships and personel in the book so you are right.

Gudenruben2 likes this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Again, this doesn't fit with ANH and ESB, both of which emphasize finding the main Rebel base. If the Rebels start branching out into multiple bases, it would have to be post-Hoth, when the Empire in the movies finally stop going on and on about finding the Rebel base.

The new canon is so bent on changing everything from Legends without first checking those Legends elements were put in place for a reason--to stay in continuity with the original films. By chopping up all connections to Legends just because they can, Disney ends up creating a jarring dissonance with the original films in their new canon.

Look at the opening crawl of ESB:

It is a dark time for the
    Rebellion. Although the Death
    Star has been destroyed,
    Imperial troops have driven the
    Rebel forces from their hidden
    base and pursued them across
    the galaxy.

Note that the crawl mentions the Empire driving the Rebel forces from their hidden base, not bases.

13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    By that time. We've already seen the destruction of the Atollon base, so the Empire is narrowing the Rebels down -- and it gets further narrowed down when the Dantooine base is discovered abandoned. Besides which, they track the Falcon to Yavin 4 because it's taking the Death Star plans there, which would presumably be important enough to only take to the central base -- which is exactly where the Alliance High Command was stationed, as of Rogue One. Yavin 4 is still very much the main Rebel base, but I don't see anything in the films precluding other bases from existing either prior to or alongside it.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Then why was Vader so adamant that Hoth was the main Rebel base with Skywalker on it? Maybe Ozzel was on the right track, that this was just a low ranking Rebel base among a dozen in the galaxy (I know he said smugglers in the film, but it's along the same line of thinking)...

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It was mentioned in the series. Do you watch the show?

Totally super important to be included in Rebels...I mean, there was that one instance in A New Hope where the name came up.

I feel your analogies need work.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    What a question, do I watch Rebels? I'm sorry, but this question comes off as condescending, I will assume you don't intend it to be that way.

Yes, I have seen every episode of Rebels (some like Twilight of the Apprentice, multiple times), TCW, basically all filmed Star Wars media, even the Holiday Special. I've only missed most of the cartoons Droids and Ewoks because legit copies are hard to find.

Yes, I must have missed the mention of Dantooine in Secret Cargo, but I definitely watched the episode. I'm not sure how I missed it. I remember Ghorman, but not Dantooine, strange. I use wookieepedia to refresh my memory after watching episodes, but for some reason it didn't show up (No Rebels episodes are listed at http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dantooine_base ), and my memory must have dropped Dantooine aftewards.

There was only 1 episode where the Romulan War was mentioned in Trek too, Balance of Power. But the Romulans were an anticipated part of Enterprise, a shame the show was cancelled before reaching the full war.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Empire itself addresses it. Vader is obsessed with finding Luke, so naturally he'd jump on sign of major Rebel activity -- which was a sighting of a shield generator, which is what was protecting one of the early rebellion's main bases on Atollon, after all, and that one was important enough to send Thrawn after. Personally, I always figured Vader was sensing Hoth was the right location through the Force.

Besides, my point was that Rebels is showing those outlying rebel bases being diminished and individual cells being destroyed, as well as showing the Alliance becoming unified, so during the film era, it's more likely the Alliance would have consolidated into a single base of operations -- or hidden fortress. As of Rebels, there's still room for Dantooine and Yavin 4 to coexist until whatever happens to leave Dantooine abandoned. Considering the series has been showing Dodonna's forces receiving more and more ships and tech (Y-wings, remnants of the Atollon forces) it's likely as of Rogue One Massassi Base is the largest of the surviving outposts, and becomes the main base by default.

deadthree024 likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I know that Dantooine is in the Mothma episode... but barely. It's just that it seems like a missed opportunity to explore a new environment. We saw the planet from space, and that's it! back to Yavin 4, which we saw in ANH and as recently as Rogue One, for the remainder of the season. Granted, Dantooine might still appear in Season 4 of Rebels, but somehow I doubt it.

sidv88 likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'll need to rewatch the episode again, but as you describe it I'm beginning to understand how I forgot Dantooine was even in this episode entirely.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It was totally sincere. You indicated you didn't understand what the show was about, and you deemed the show a failure for not mentioning a minimally important planet.

Perhaps before making such encompassing assertions you should double check your info?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sorry but this is heading into personal territory. We are here to discuss the topics, not the people. In every post I made, I criticized episodes, but never a fellow poster (never accused them of not watching the show or not understanding what the show was about just because they had a different viewpoint--I only criticized the episodes themselves). I only pointed out when a question 'Do you even watch the show?' I felt is out of line and criticized me directly, and even then I assumed the best and believed that this comment was just written mistakenly in haste.

I am going to take a break from this thread.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I addressed your assertions (content), not you personally. There's a difference.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    You forget the ESB crawl also says this:

Evading the dreaded Imperial
    Starfleet, a group of freedom
    fighters led by Luke Skywalker
    has established a new secret
    base on the remote ice world
    of Hoth.

"A group", which means someone detached from the main group. Which should be abundently clear by the final scenes of the same film, where ships we've never seen before suddenly pop up and serve as Luke, Leia and the droids's temporary resting place.

JoinTheSchwarz and CooperTFN like this.
  24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    There's also the possibility that the Story Group is saving Dantooine for other works to explore, and doesn't want to start designing a world before it's properly featured.

25. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Mon Mothma says her presence at "the meeting" is not optional and Hera repeats it with emphasis. Couldn't Dantooine just have been an initial rallying point for the ships Mothma's message brings to Dantooine and then abandoned once the bulk of the "fleet" arrived, refueled, briefed, secured, or whatever else? Used as a sort of way station base that was never meant to be anything more than extremely temporary. The officer reporting to Tarkin mentions the remains of a base on Dantooine that's been abandoned for some time. So, maybe they used it to gather loyal forces for a short time and then made the quickest jump to Dodonna's more secure and permanent facility on Yavin 4?

And keep in mind, Tarkin was initially skeptical of a larger, unified Rebellion spread throughout the galaxy. But couple that with the recent organization from Mothma's message and the loss of Chopper Base, he may indeed believe the Rebels have now united under one main banner and base.

Or maybe Season 4 will shed more light on the situation?

Daneira likes this.