main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    There's nothing in what they've said or shown that says that Rukh is still Thrawn's bodyguard in this continuity. They mentioned that's what he was in Legends during the panel, but as to his role in this story Filoni's played it pretty coy. Everyone assumes that's what he is, but it's never been stated, so it's just as likely that he is an old acquaintance of Thrawn's, or a former bodyguard that the Rebels go to so they can try to crack Thrawn's psyche, or something to that effect.

2. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016

Yes, we really need more of those in Rebels [face_waiting] They basically win in every episode (sometimes in really stupid way *cough* Double Agent Droid *cough* expect in the finals and the season 2 premiere.

Speak of the devil and the devil showsup!

No for serious, of course they have to win very often. It's a kid show but I'm just frustrated that they win kinda stupid sometimes. Well, another problem is, that they focus on Ezra (he is like the most annoying protagonist I can remember and I still don't like that he met Kenobi), but that is another topic.

I'm still hoping that Thrawn don't die (because of the first victory thing in Rogue One an stuff). Would be a shame to lose him that early (and in a kids show).

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Almost like it's lighthearted adventure fair based on Old Pulps.

Stymi, Jedi Princess and vncredleader like this.
  4. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I know right? No, but serious, I know it's a kids show and all this stuff (as I said in the comment) but well I don't see a reason to say that they need more or bigger wins, especially in this time period.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd note that there's absolutely nothing in Thrawn to suggest he ever needed, or even merited, a personal bodyguard. Add the presence of deathtroopers in that role and I'd be very surprised if that's still how Rukh factors in. Maaayybe an old bodyguard from his Ascendancy days, but that feels like bending over backwards to retain something from Legends just because.

In all honesty, I suspect that everything about Rukh's role will be brand-new and the only reason he is Rukh is Filoni messing with our heads.

Karl0413, BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I am with you there. I don't get why the Rebels need major victories especially this late in the game. We are literally months out from RO for them.

7. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Can we all agree to just drop the qualifier:

"I know it's a kids show, but"...

Star Wars has now entered into the Disney network of Family Entertainment. Not every show NEEDS to have GOT levels of sex, violence, and vulgarity (I love GOT by the way). Let the show stand on its own as Star Wars: Rebels.

One thing that I have learned being in the Lit. Section, is that even if something is marketed as a Young Reader or Young Adult book, it by no means should be dismissed as not being as good as something else.

Sorry, just my $.02.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

CooperTFN, Stymi, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    IIRC, Scarif was the first major Rebel victory, BTW. Not the first victory.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'll throw it out there again - we've known since 1980* that we shouldn't read the opening crawls too literally. They're there to frame the current action, not provide a letter-precise account of what has come before.

*When ESB's crawl claimed that Luke Skywalker leads the Hoth Rebels, but we find out in the actual story that he's only a Commander and we see on-screen at least two characters who outrank him.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but killing a Grand Admiral is a pretty major victory

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The main reason I think Rukh would go all stabby stabby on Thrawn is A) final season B) Bendu's "dying" words to Thrawn about hands encircling him sounded a lot like betrayal and Rukh is a part of that. If he even works for Thrawn, which he might not. I personally think a betrayal and assassination from inside Thrawn's ranks not connected to the Rebel Alliance (officially on the books) could sneak through as not being a Rebellion enabled "major" victory.

Although, it could be neat if Thrawn by the end of Rebels is dispatched to the Unknown Regions, thereby keeping him off the table for the OT and to bring him back for a proper post-Endor return for the next animated series as the main antagonist.

And THEN Rukh would get all stabby stabby on him.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Rukh likely isn't Thrawn's bodyguard. This Thrawn has very refined hand-to-hand combat skills and engages his enemies physically, unlike Legends Thrawn who always remained on his Star Destroyer, safe from his enemies. Rukh in Rebels is likely Thrawn's assassin, hunting the Rebels with skill, competence and ruthlessness, unlike the inept stormtroopers.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't actually care all that much about continuity versus telling the big epic stories of good vs. evil which the first season succeeded in.

We already destroyed Tarkin's ISD, blew up 2 Interdictors, and killed the Grand Inquisitor

The ship has sailed.

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    You can tell big epic stories of good vs evil without having the heroes have major victories. That is still possible you just need to tell compelling stories. Also the two interdictors where involved in a battle the rebels still lost and the GI and Tarkin's ISD where season 1. The closer we get to season 1 the more they are likely to have them be building. I am not saying they should be getting wrecked but rather that this should be more about them just compiling resources and all that stuff. You can still make a differences without winning massive battles. By getting more ships and securing a spy network and whatnot that can set up their first major victory in RO AND make this feel like a win for these characters due to them assisting in the set up for it.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Forget where I read the speculation but Vader at Mustafar in a healing bath in R1 = coming off his final battle with Kanan and Ezra from the Rebels Series Finale. Which could also explain why he's immediately ticked at Director Krennic (of course, Krennic being an opportunist toad who just had a few failures on his roster probably also has something to do with it)

vncredleader likes this.
  16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I think he was just angry that someone had stole his cape shtick

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, but it's not what I want from Star Wars. At all. I want to see good triumph over evil.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Rebels isn't going to have a happy ending for at least some of the characters. That was how they came up with the ending of Rogue One, where they tried a few drafts where people survived, didn't like it, ended up killing everybody. Best for Kanan and Ezra we can hope for is something bittersweet ala Ashoka leaving.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I may have to end my 30 year relationship with Star Wars if Rogue One is supposed to be the new normal. It's fine as a one-shot but is absolutely not the model to follow for future movies.

revan772 likes this.
  20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Good triumphing over evil loses meaning if they always win. Now yes S3 had them lose but that does not mean they instantly need to start having major victories. What makes good winning meaningful is if after getting knocked down they need to actually deal with the loss and build and build and take the small victories and ties and appreciate them before finally winning for real in something like RO. RO has meaning BECAUSE they lose sometimes. good cannot always triumph.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Maybe....but I can't see Ezra and Kanan giving Vader that hard a time. Together or alone, they're still very mediocre warriors.

Kanan might last a couple minutes, but he's not at Ahsoka's level. Ezra would still get wasted very fast.

If Ezra had kept learning from the Sith Holocron and refined his Dark Side powers, it might be a different story.

Ezra's problem is he hasn't completed his training. He lacks focus and determination. To be a true Jedi, you have to be calm, to let the Force guide your hand. But you have to be able to truly feel it. Ezra can't. He's not willing to surrender himself to the Great Energy.

That's why he was so drawn to the Dark Side. If he'd stayed on that path, he would have become powerful.

Ezra has vast potential, but he's not developing it. He can do so much, and has the power to do even more. But he just doesn't keep at it. All that Force power and it just lies there, unused.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I realllly gotta object to any definition of 'mediocre' based off of getting pwned by Darth Vader.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Kanan has taken a significant jump with the Force ever since he lost his sight, he might give Vader an Ahsoka-level battle by now. Erza is an X-factor but he's always been one and who knows what mystical Force hoju he could stumble into and if they both took on Vader together it might ... last slightly longer than their other few brief scuffles. Maybe even to the point where Vader would need a Mustafar bath breather ... that's interrupted by Krennic, the jerk.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I have no desire for the Rebels characters to be the sacrificial lambs to make the Empire look good. That's what the A-wing pilots are for.

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Or because he's the one to kill Thrawn. If he's not Thrawn's bodyguard, then that's pretty much the only reason to bring him back. It's possible they keep the bit about Honoghr being poisoned, but in canon it's Thrawn's fault.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.