main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    General Binks? I thought he was a Senator now. If they do feature Jar Jar, they'll need to show why (spoiler for Aftermath)
    he no longer thinks the Empire is so great by the time of the OT. Presumably he had no problems with everything they did before, so something must have changed. Or was it just the fact that the Senate was dissolved and he got sent back to Naboo where he isn't popular?
    I'd much rather see Moff Panaka and Lord Vader working together.
    Panaka: This is a battle I do not think that we can win.
    Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing. :vader:
    Panaka: Acck!

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Difference being that we never saw Bail and Ahsoka on screen together. They had minimum screen time between them. Though you'd think Bail would have given heads up on who Vader is.

TBH the bigger issue for Rex and Wolfe and Gregor is how they avoided Order 66 and got there Chips out. Also why did they not get any other Clone chips out either or warned the Jedi. Filoni never bothered to explain or simply couldn't be bothered to think up a good reason for

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yet.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    From the Ahsoka novel, we know that Rex took out his chip before Order 66 but do we know the same about Wolfe and Gregor? And Rex took his out because he witnessed what Fives said before his death. If he told the other clones this, they would think Rex was crazy (since this is the official line the Republic took towards Fives' actions).

Perhaps Wolfe and Gregor took their chips out AFTER they performed Order 66? Years later Rex approached his closest pals and said, you don't have to live in service to this Empire anymore. Let me show you how to get out.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In TCW? It's less prior meeting and more knowledge I'm concerned with. And it's being on screen in the Rebels season 1 finale that initially concerned me. But the novel tied that up neatly.

They meet in the novel and know who each other are. Bail plays his cards close to the chest. Makes sense.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    What's never been satisfactorily resolved for me is why Bail Organa hasn't been captured and interrogated by Vader and the Emperor for all he knows. Before ANH to be fair, they didn't know he was a Rebel (although in the Legends-verse, the Force Unleashed threw that out the window with Bail getting arrested 2 BBY).

By ANH however, the Empire has plenty of reasons to suspect Bail is a Rebel (Leia gets Alderaanian funding for Rebel use, use of the Tantive IV for Rebel missions, use of Organa staff and troops--like Raymus Antilles who fought with Bail in the Clone Wars--for Rebel activities, etc all without Bail knowing? Really?)

Instead of blowing up Alderaan, why didn't the Empire arrest Bail and the rest of House Organa and interrogate them about the location of the Rebel base? If Leia wasn't going to talk under brutal interrogation, Bail might. And Vader might have gotten a few bonuses too other than the location of the Rebel base (Bail might let slip Yoda's location).

In over 40 years of Star Wars storytelling, both in Legends and Disney canon, I still haven't seen a satisfactory answer to why the Empire didn't do this.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe in LEGENDS, Palpatine and Vader were letting the Rebellion stew so they could have an excuse to dissolve the Senate.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And once the Senate actually was dissolved, there was no reason for the Empire not to immediately go to House Organa and arrest everyone. Realistically, the Empire wouldn't even wait that long considering what was at stake.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's a problem with your thinking that I think you're missing.

[​IMG]

The Senate was dissolved AFTER the arrest of Princess Leia and probably just hours before Alderaan's destruction.

DurararaFTW and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why the rush to destroy Alderaan? This is not something that was set in stone that had to be done. If the Empire just had to make an example, they could easily have blown up, say, Chandrila. Or Onderon for giving rise to Saw. (Chandrila, like Alderaan, probably had a lot of people who could be interrogated by the Empire).

Considering the actual plan to find the Rebels was a ridiculous idea of letting the Rebels go home to Yavin (with the actual plans themselves no less!) resulted in the destruction of the Death Star and 20 years' work of worth (Tagge knew there was this risk and with Rogue One they now know Galen may have compromised the project), seriously any other alternative to finding the Rebel base (interrogating Bail etc) would have been better.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Palpatine subscribes to the 1984 school of rulership. "The purpose of torture is torture, the purpose of power is power."

Destroying Alderaan is built around removing the idea the Empire is a tough but fair rulership or the Core Worlds have nothing to fear from the Empire. It's to make it clear collective punishment is the rule of the day and nothing will protect you be it wealth, influence, or being loved by everyone.

With the Death Star, the Empire will rule forever because they will nuke not only Moscow but Chicago or Smallville or Canada at will.

Really, everything was going perfectly for eliminating all checks and balances on the Empire's power until Yavin.

Vialco likes this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You might have missed my edit, but Chandrila, Corellia, Onderon may have been options if the Empire wanted to make an example. Whichever planet had the least amount of useful people to interrogate. Alderaan still had a whole house of people to interrogate.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well the Rebellion isn't actually a problem-problem.

It's an annoyance.

It's not until the Death Star is destroyed it becomes a PROBLEM.

Vialco likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I did mean Rebels but I guess you could TCW as well.
    Iv not read the novel so I can't comment on that. Though I get why he doesn't tell her Leia is Anakins daughter, the risk is to great but you'd think he say that Vader is Anakin or even let Yoda know about Ahsoka

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Tarkin didn't blow up Alderaan as part of any long-term strategy, he just went and did it. It's conceivable if he asked permission first Palpatine would've suggested somewhere else.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's also possible Tarkin did it because those were his orders and he was just playing Leia.

Revanfan1 and Daneira like this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For what it's worth, when the second Death Star was completed, Palpatine planned to use it on Chandrila and Mon Cala. Effectively killing the Coreward and Rim poles of the Alliance, plus the sources of it's political and military power.

--Adm. Nick

Vialco likes this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That's a good point. I'm sure the Emperor and Tarkin would have listened to your reasonable and pragmatic idea. It's not like they're a couple of sadistic, cold-hearted, selfish monsters.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You have a good point. In a lot of way, like can occur in the real world, people like Tarkin in Star Wars let hate override all logic or reason, even logic that would be to their own benefit.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We know that Tarkin has long held a grudge against Core Worlders and has something of a complex about it, given his utterly backwater upbringing.

Envious little prole.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

BigAl6ft6, Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's interesting that Tarkin basically comes from Space South Africa if you consider the whole business of "Core, Not Core", local nobility, oppression of locals, and the weird focus on survivalism.

But, sadly, we already have one in the Pantorans.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think Luceno based Eriadu on Tanzania and Kenya, with the Carrion Plateau being Maasai Mara and Serengeti National Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Which is funny, when you think of it, because his depiction of Eriadu in Cloak of Deception was more like Space Morocco.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, let's set this out, with just over two weeks to go:
    • Do press release announcing US release of S3 of Rebels on DVD 29 Aug
    • UK release? Who the hell knows?
    • Cost of UK DVDs? Who the hell knows?
    Why? Because no one is listing it! And it's not just Amazon either, no online seller I can find has a UK listing.

Disney are hacked off over pricing or are not happy about preorders? Fine, but that doesn't cover sellers not listing it with a known, initial price. Knowing when a product is coming out and the cost helps buyers plan their purchases - this is simple, simple stuff.

So, what's going on? [face_dunno] Wait, I got it.... Nope. [face_dunno]

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm waiting until it finishes to grab the boxset anyway to be fair. I've saved a slot on my shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, CooperTFN and Vialco like this.
  26. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Why is a boxset better, in your opinion? I'm considering doing that as well.

Sent from Moto X-Wing