main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    And if it IS true?

Its fine if you personally don't want it to happen. But there's some pretty strong evidence to the contrary.

Vialco likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm definitely not saying it won't happen. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it will, just "because they can."
    It's just that it shouldn't happen.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I've never been able to make up my mind on this one. While I think it would be cool to have Rex as part of the Endor team, I totally respect and empathize with the people objecting to it on Rex-isn't-white grounds, and while this isn't a totally clear-cut point, the whole issue of clone whitewashing has been enough of a problem to make erring on the side of caution understandable.

(I don't, however, respect the people who want to preserve Nik Sant for the sake of preserving Nik Sant. Good gravy.)

4. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Oh, it most certainly shouldn't be true but if Filoni gonna continue writing star wars cartoons and be unwilling to let go of Rex this Ezra thing will be a problem. It's one thing for Obi-Wan and Yoda to lie, quite another for Luke to know they're full of ****.

All the people that Ezra's met need to either not know he is a Jedi or think he is dead. I don't want to section off all the Rebel characters in Rebels from the Rebel Alliance just for Ezra's sake. That's definitely the worst solution.

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    They have the same hat, which all the other troopers in that picture also have.

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of Temuera Morrison with a beard. He doesn't look anything like that white dude on Endor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stymi, sidv88, starfish and 2 others like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Argh, this just feels like a lost opportunity for the sequel trilogy! Instead of whoever it was in TFA alerting the First Order to Han's and BB-8's presence at Maz's castle, it should have been Temuera Morrison looking exactly like this! Sitting unnoticed in a corner of Maz's bar. The character wouldn't have been named on screen or on the credits, but everyone would know who this is--Boba Fett getting the last word against Solo.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Literally, in that picture I posted, their skin tones are identical. They have the same facial hair. Same hat, which seems somewhat distinctive to the Endor strike team/pathfinders. Thr style of the outfit looks similar, with an undershirt, vest, baggy pants, and boots.

Doesn't matter if Temura Morrison older doesn't match up. Official photos of the character match up.

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Exactly......Obi-Wan and Yoda lied to Luke about who his father was for the sole purpose of training Luke to go out and kill his own father. And when caught in the lie they tried twist their words around with 'a certain point of view' which translates into 'I flat out lied to you to manipulate you and am going to try to keep manipulating you.'

Vialco likes this.
  9. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Their outfits look nothing alike. And those hats aren't unique to the Endor strike team, because Rex will be wearing one in Rebels Season 4, which will end way before the Battle of Endor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The camo paterns are different, the boots are a different color, and the tunic had sleeves on one and not the other. But their composition and style are similar.

But the Pathfinders existed before that mission, hence my "Endor/Pathfinders" remark. Its entirely possible Rex became a Pathfinder, hence the distinctive helmet.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah and it makes Luke's defiance of their wishes even better when he ignores their manipulations and makes his own choice. Unconstrained by Jedi or Sith, Luke makes his own choice. As a person.

And that convinces Anakin to remember that he's a person too. Not a slave to the Dark Side.

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    First, the skin tones of a white person and a Maori person are not identical.

Second, maybe it should matter if old rex and Temura Morrison don't match up.

13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm not saying they do.

I am saying, specifically, that the skin colors of the Rex S4 concept and the man in the Endor picture look the same. You can literally see for yourself.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the issue isn't that it's the fact the two are the same race, which they are not. It's the question of whether race shifting in a retcon casting is appropriate.

For example, hypothetically, if you have the Rock show up and Luke say, "Hey Wedge!"

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh my god that would be the BEST THING EVER!! Lucasfilm better get the Rock to play young Wedge in an films set post ROTJ but pre TFA. He could even intentionally go in and out between a british accent.

BigAl6ft6 and comradepitrovsky like this.
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    OK

I have decided to make a comparison picture detailing why I believe they're the same person:

[​IMG]

1. Same helmet, which is distinctive to the Endor strike team. I suspect it's actually more appropriate to associate them with the Pathfinders, which would connect Rex to them, or the group proceeding them.
    2. Their skin tones, which are very similar. The slight variation could be due to the lighting in the second picture.
    3-4. The exact same facial hair. The white mustaches even curve in the same way, going slightly above the beard.
    5. Same straps leading to a backpack.
    6. Same style of vest. The Endor Soldier's only differences are that there are short sleeves, and the front is opened, where it's closed on the Rex concept.
    7. Same kind of skin-tight bodysuit underneath the vest

There are just too many similarities for me to think they're different, especially with the "Wink Wink" attitude from Dave and the Rebels team.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    They are literally not the same. Rex has darker skin pigmentation. Literally. The only way to not recognize that is to literally choose not to.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    See THIS POST for my response.

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    But...all those things are not the same. Start with skin tone...white dude's face from ROTJ is shadowed. Rex's is not. Even so, Rex's skin in darker. Not to mention different feature, such as nose and head shape.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

Left is Rex, right is Saint. You really thing the left is darker?

This is a picture of Anakin Skywalker, played by Hayden Christianson.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of Anakin Skywalker, from the Clone Wars

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of Anakin Skywalker, from Forces of Destiny

[​IMG]

Interpretations change, and not each portrayal of the character is identical.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    That image of Rex next to the image of the Endor team was posted by Steven Melching, a writer for Rebels. This is a series of tweets he posted after everyone starting freaking out and thinking Rex was Nik Sant:

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's not a good example though. ROTJ was filmed over 30 years ago. There's not much can be done to change how that commando on Endor looks, short of some digital manipulation, which god knows there's already enough of that in that particular film. It's not retcon casting, it's just a retcon- "hey kids! that guy with the beard you know and love from the 34-year-old movie ROTJ? we've decided he's also a character we made up just 9 years ago! ain't that neat!"

It's giving that essentially undeveloped character greater meaning and greater connection to the modern canon. Right now it's not stretch- they're both older guys with white beards serving the Rebellion. Sure, their skin color doesn't exactly line up, but in that case modern canon takes precedence, AKA even though it's clearly a white guy in ROTJ, Rex is and always will be dark-skinned.

Like, this ain't the hill to die on when it comes to whitewashing. There are far more egregious cases that probably do warrant criticism, but this isn't one of them, IMO.

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    So...again... shadowed.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The same picture was also shown at the most recent Star Wars Celebration on the Rebels panel, with attention drawn specifically to the similarities by director Dave Filoni.

Like how I mentioned in my original post how the lighting is different, which would account for the slight difference in coloration?

25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Merged into previous post.