main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This show really shouldn't be called Rebels. It has no Dantooine base, no Corellian Treaty... This show being called Rebels is like if you titled the current tv show "The Gifted" as "X-Men".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I didn’t get why the s foil move was important. In space why would that matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think this depends a lot on how many Jedi there are. If there are about a dozen, then...yeah, they should all be gone. But if there's 200, then maybe some make it out, yeah.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  4. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I agree. Having Caleb dume a former padawan in it could still work. He never pulls out his lightsaber. Ever. Maybe he uses it once or twice Vs Vader or an inquisitor. He finds Ezra a force sensitive. Ezra wants to be a Jedi but kanan wont teach him because 1) kanan doesn’t know enough 2) kanan is worri d the empire will hunt him. That leads to tension, fits with the overall narrative and leads to more suspenseful battles where the force is used subtly in blaster fights but no lightsabers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, I'm almost 100% sure Kanan will die and Ezra will leave the Jedi.

Vialco likes this.
  6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I mean, in space, everything should move like a Viper from Battlestar Galatica, but they generally don't (except Vader that one time). The stated logic behind S-foils is that the increase maneuverability and field of fire.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

What's wrong with Leia seeing Jedi pe-ANH?

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Leia knew that Jedi existed.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, yay for using the phrase “Rebel Assault” for an episode name.

Boo that we don’t get an X-Wing origin/introduction. Just, bam! Had them the whole time. Little anticlimactic after giving intros to the B, Y, A & U’s.

Oh well, despite the yet-another Star Destroyer kill, I did like how this episode had the Imperials (mostly) set to their “actual threat” mode that the show toggles to and from depending on the episode.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There is an odd lack of imagination in this thread overall re: Kanan and Ezra. Like you suggested in an earlier post, it's favoring continuity over story, and entirely overlooking the possibility that we might get both. The off-screen death of Hobbie in On the Front Lines was deeply mourned because it represented "wasted story potential" - how much more so would it have been had the creators adopted the mindset of some here, that Yoda's line in ROTJ is so sacrosanct that Kanan and Ezra's very existence 5-6 years before he says it represents a violation of it? Can we at least see where their story ends up and then complain about it?

RavagerFish likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Obviously it was Yoda's final troll test.

"When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."

"I can't do it, Artoo. I can't go on alone."

"Yoda will always be with you."

[​IMG]

Yoda isn't gone = Luke is not the last Jedi

Checkmate, atheists.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, it's not entirely a comparable situation, because Kanan and Ezra have an ongoing story that's been created in awareness of the rest of the developing Star Wars saga. It's not like we're suddenly reaching a point where Filoni realizes "oh ****, I don't know where to go with these guys". I don't think either Kanan or Ezra will die for the sake of continuity, but I think Kanan will die because that's where his story seems to be logically heading.

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You're entirely correct. Taalcon makes that point often as well - Filoni and the Story Group are not unaware of the existence of Yoda's "last of the Jedi" line, or Mon's from R1. Wherever their story leads, in no way will they simply be ignored. I like Ulicus's point a lot also - in a galaxy where Jedi can actually come back from the dead and continue to influence the galaxy, what exactly does being "the last of the Jedi" even mean?

Also agreed that that's where Kanan's story is logically going - so it wouldn't surprise me if Filoni creatively subverted it in some fashion while still removing him from the field of play. Ezra's story, meanwhile, continues to be a lot more open-ended IMO.

Endol likes this.
  14. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yep. Keep in mind that this is a show where we've already been introduced to A Hidden Planet Behind A Barrier Of Black Holes That Only Someone With A Force-Artifact Could Know About Or Access™.

BigAl6ft6, Endol and Vialco like this.
  15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I have such a soft spot for Rebels generally. I don't think seasons 3 and 4 have been as good and as charming as the first two (season 2 finale being a particular highlight) but I'm trusting with Filoni. He has been asked and asked since season one about two Jedi being around prior to ANH, I'm sure it'll work out fine in the end!

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And indeed a franchise where the one and only Jedi in the galaxy can disappear to a planet still accessible via map and absolutely nobody will know where he's gone. The Force isn't really used like a big outer-space Facebook where anyone with a connection can keep track of who's alive and where. Kanan and Ezra have a whole galaxy to disappear in, if their story takes them to more... unknown regions.

lakhota likes this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Not anyone, no. Yoda? Yeah, probably. He was pretty upfront about having a magic Force spyglass in TESB ("This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon...") and it's not like he hasn't been present in Kanan and Ezra's journey.

Without that element then, yeah, there's no reason to take Yoda as an authority RE: last of the Jedi.

With it, there's every reason.

You come up with ways around it easily enough, but it shouldn't be ignored outright.

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yoda tends to see the bigger picture, though. He disagrees with Ezra's simplistic idea that Jedi need to band together to fight a war against the Sith -- he tells him so explicitly in the lead-in to the Malachor plot. So sure, he could well sense Kanan and Ezra if they're still around (and From a Certain Point of View goes into what he might or might not sense through the Force, without going into spoilers) but if they've removed themselves from the Rebellion to pursue a different purpose, he doesn't strike me as someone who'd try to bring them back to the fight. So as far as Yoda's concerned, Luke would likely be the last of the Jedi to mean anything to the galaxy-at-large, in terms of training the next generation.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm sorta surprised that the "no longer a Jedi" argument isn't holding water with people anymore. Yoda is a Jedi. A Jedi is needed to do away with the Sith...a truth that Ben and Yoda don't even fully understand in all its complexity when they're sending Luke on his mission! It doesn't mean people like Ahsoka (if she's alive?), Kanan, and Ezra can't come back to the path eventually, but they don't have to be dead to not be Jedi. I'm not sure Kanan's going to die, but this whole Lothwolf thing makes me think he's not going to be the same at the end.

Vialco and The Positive Fan like this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    For sure.

This would be an example of "getting around it easy enough".

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Belated, Luke is finally taking advice given seriously.

"Luke, Run away! Far away!" - Leia, Return of the Jedi
    "LUKE SKYWALKER HAS VANISHED" - The Force Awakens

"When gone am I, the Last of the Jedi will you be." - Yoda, Return of the Jedi
    "It's time for the Jedi to end." - Luke, The Last Jedi

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Any mildly superstitious group would have thrown out the Phoenix Squadron name long ago because they almost always all die holy crap it's bad

BigAl6ft6 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Ahsoka "not being a Jedi" doesn't hold water in my eyes because it's mostly a technicality.

24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    It reduces the term to a membership card; your skills and life philosophy don't count unless you carry your certificate around.

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Perhaps it's a sign of Hera's leadership more than anything else.