main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Nah, it’s just that the rebels are really outnumbered and out gunned at this point, they lose a lot of people at Scarif and the attack on the Death Star too.

masterskywalker likes this.
  2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    A mixed force of fighters up against a Star Fleet and its garrison? I'm actually surprised they showed the logical outcome of such an attack. They were lucky to have survived at all. Even so, they punched above their weight class.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    But isn't that the point of Phoenix Squadron? They die and then rise from the ashes? :p

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    lol, Professor Dumbledore is the real leader of Phoenix Squadron. :p

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That being true you’d think their sign up roster would always be empty lol

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

[​IMG]

Nehru_Amidala and vncredleader like this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Probably the coolest thing in Rebels is the way the Imperials talk about Phoenix Squadron and its members.

"It's the Mandalorian."
    "SYNDULLA!"

Slater, TheRedBlade, Vthuil and 6 others like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hera Syndula in Big Trouble in Little Lothal but I thought it was an effective episode from her POV, cuz we see her at the way out in space and managing to survive all the way to a freakin' crash in an alleyway in Lothal and there was some good usage of the animation elements to put a new spin on a location we've seen a lot before. And adding Rukh as the X-factor who can screw the whole thing up is good and he still comes off as deadly even though Hera managed to hold him back.

Kanan's plot in the episode was slightly less than satisfying, hung out, watched the ships fall, turned around to save the day, a Wolf said his name and he turns back. but the Hera stuff was great, good cliffhanger to end on and I hope she causes more trouble as an Imperial captive than just being kidnap bait to keep the plot moving.

Vialco and tatooinesandworm like this.
  9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Here's the thing about Kana's role: it subverts the typical Star Wars cliche of someone rushing off to rescue their friends. Luke, Anakin, heck even Ezra within this same show, they all do the same thing. They all run in without thinking, charging to the rescue because that's what heroes do.

But that's not what a Jedi does. Kanan stops, listens to the Force (speaking through the wolf), and settles on another course of action that isn't blinding charging back into the teeth of the Empire's forces. It remains to be seen how that will play out, but I doubt Mart would have escaped the Empire without his help. We'll see how it plays out whenever the show comes back, but upon reflection, I really like the moment.

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Careful with that talk. 'Round these parts saying the old Jedi were right about anything is liable to get you run outta town.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Okay, so, am I just completely blanking here, or has there not actually been an announcement of when the show is coming back beyond "early 2018"? I want to try and calculate how feasible it would be to rewatch the whole series before then, but a specific date would be helpful.

12. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    No announcement, but every other season came back in January.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    • Now that's how you open a midseason finale
    • Oh man this animation is fantastic
    • I like that very quickly we lose pilots and Hera is not able to save them. This operation is a risk and thus far they have not let up on showing that one bit
    • Loving Thrawn's confidence
    • Hot damn I love Thrawn. That's how you kill a subordinate
    • Aww man it's great to hear the ISD alarm
    • WOAH!!! Was that an alien rebel pilot? Sounded like a Wookiee. Oh my god that's amazing. also nice touch that the ISD tht gets it's command bridge cut off does not explode or anything. It is localized damage
    • Damn the TIEs just beat up the Green Squadron and took their lunch money. Goes to show, higher numbers of TIEs can overcome far more skilled pilots. They are for swarming and they do it damn well
    • I like that the rest are ready to leave when Hera might be dead. They don't patronize Ryder, they carry on with their mission
    • Oh nice they let Kanan go but he does not try to get them to go with him
    • Nice to see a pilot get to do some ground fighting
    • And that's why you don't go over the speed limit Kanan. Lothwolf will f you up
    • Once again someone following orders when they should even if it is a sad thing to do. Nice
    K so all in all I really liked this episode, though I do wish we had gotten a bit more in terms of the big threat amassing on Lothal

14. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    It was a good episode but... Hera takes out a TIE Defender, which takes out a light cruiser, which takes out a Star Destroyer. Right. I'm surprised Thrawn's whole fleet wasn't destroyed! Oh well, otherwise the space battle was very good. I also loved Rukh in this.

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Lets cross our fingers for the rest of season 4 to premiere on the first Monday of January. Even then its sooooooooooooooo far away. Also, hoping they stick to 2 episodes per week. I've gotten used to it.

16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Hera is the Rube Goldberg of the GFFA

TheRedBlade likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I rewatched Rebel Assault and had two basically unrelated thoughts:

1) I think this episode is a pretty great demonstration of why it's good to have the good guys lose sometimes - not because of all the tired blather about making things 'dark' or 'realistic'*, but because of the storytelling possibilities inherent in a defeat. Hera on the run after a crash, trying to evade Imperial pursuit and pull any surviving members of her squadron out of the fire, felt like a pretty different dynamic than the usual type of evading-the-Empire plotline. It honestly felt very X-Wing series, and it was cool to actually see that on the screen for once.

*(Although as far as 'dark' goes, it honestly looked to me like Mart outright killed a stormtrooper in hand-to-hand combat at the end. Like, in contrast to like half the stormies that get shot, that guy wasn't so much as twitching for the remainder of the scene. Yeep.)

2) 'Dume' is obviously a homophone for 'doom', to the point that I'm still not sure which one the Loth-wolves are saying at any given time. But besides the more common meaning, it occurs to me that 'doom' is also an archaic term for 'fate.' I wonder if the wolves are basically guiding Kanan to become some kind of Force ghost-like spiritual protector for Lothal when he inevitably dies in the second half of the season (which I've long suspected is essentially what happened to Ahsoka on Malachor - maybe that's what Filoni meant when he said we'll find out what happened to her).

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I've only seen S1 of this show (I just haven't had the time to buy and watch S2-S3 yet) but I still know I'm going to inevitably lose my crap when Kanan dies. The guy is just so relatable.

Contessa likes this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    This was, imo, the best episode of the season. Actual tension and consequences that mattered. This also marks the turning point in the season, so the drama was drama was turned on. A signal that from here on out, anything can happen to our heroes. We only know Hera makes out alive and continues on with the Rebellion.

We don't know the fate of anyone else. First time I felt anyone was in real danger the entire run of the show.

More of this.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    On a side note, who else has been really happy to see the increased prevalence of the "classic" ANH Rebel flight suits and helmets with individualized paint jobs? I love them so much. The A-Wing type used by the Phoenix cell just never quite cut it for me, in comparison.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They're the big deals of the Rebellion at this point. Especially in the Lothal System. Mon Mothma is probably the only face more public for the Alliance.

22. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Rebels has really downgraded Thrawn, he went from cool villain to tiresome generic loser.

It would be better if they'd never brought him into the series.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I guess everyone will just ignore that Thrawn destroyed a Rebel fleet, base, and just now decimated a Rebel strike force. He seems a bit successful at this point to be a 'generic loser'

Slater, Daneira, Yunzabit and 6 others like this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not too long ago on another forum I saw someone complaining that they didn't like Thrawn because he was one of those invincible villains that nothing ever works on.

Apparently it is hard to tweak a villain's win loss ratio just right.

Slater, Sinrebirth , Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Thrawn only survived to do that because Ezra was too inept and bumbling to kill Thrawn when he had the chance aboard his Star Destroyer. Sabine has a chance to kill Thrawn as well, when she hijacks the TIE Defender Elite, but she's too squeamish to take it. Ezra has another opportunity to kill Thrawn in that same battle and forgoes it again. Phoenix Squadron wouldn't have been decimated over Lothal if Ezra or Sabine had seized their chance to eliminate a top Imperial commander and killed Thrawn when he was in their cross-hairs.

kalzeth likes this.