main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    We only have very superficial information on her different values.

Why don't we just make every light sider a Jedi and every dark sider a Sith?

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's saying that Palpatine engineered this whole scheme just to get rid of Ezra. Which is absurd. If Sidious wanted Ezra dead, he'd just send Vader to kill him. Ezra was no match for Vader in the two times he fought him. But if Vader was sent, then Ezra would die and Filoni's pet character would be gone. Dave can't have that, so he had to create this elaborate scenario where Ezra can be tested morally but not be any real danger. That's why Sidious wasn't there in person, because if he'd been there in the flesh, Ezra would have died.
    [spoiler/]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    kalzeth and Rennzwerg like this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Have you considered that

He meant to get rid of Ezra by convincing him to use the WBW, fool him into basically undoing his life as a Jedi by changing the past whilst also leaving the portal open for Sidious' own personal use after the fact? Seems like it would simply be a way of killing two birds with one stone.

That's pretty much what I assumed from watching the episode.

ShiroxCloud, revan772, Kylun and 11 others like this.
  4. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Ahsoka: "I am no jedi!"

In other words:

Ahsoka: "I have to survive Yoda's doom quote in the lamest way possible!"

EDIT: Ezra: "Hey Ahsoka, whale surf to the unknown regions like me jedi way!"

Gharlane, kalzeth and fett 4 like this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh I agree with you. The latter motive makes sense to me. But Filoni implied that was only the former.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I think Filoni is secretly the 21st century Obi-Wan, with all the "from a certain point of view" type technicalities going on in these last few episodes.

Still I thought it was a pretty solid ending to the show.

Glad they left the door open for Thrawns possible return, with all the hoops they continue to jump through for Ashoka, i would have been very very salty if his death was 100% confirmed. I did like that his undoing was both figurative and entirely literal.

Palps talking on his kindly appearance as chancellor while attempting to sweet talk Ezra was a great touch.

My other thought was that there are giant space creatures fighting an imperial fleet, and where is Lando? They brought everyone else back for the finale. That would have been a great reference.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah, what about Lando? Poor guy always gets shafted.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    You missed a huge implication in Palpatine's plan. He could've killed Ezra, yes. But he was trying to do much, much more than that, and for very, very good reasons.

Ezra and the bridger family is one of the key reasons the rebellion became what it was. Palps was trying to use the portal to change history for his own benefit. If you can send back Ezra, knowing his family will die if they broadcast their messages, Ezra might just stop them from doing that to save their lives, which in turn could undo the rebellion itself.

He considers the Bridger family broadcasts to be a lynchpin for the movement, and he wants to alter that to prevent something he failed to stop from occurring. Right or wrong, it may be worth the gamble, and it's the only shot he had at willingly getting Ezra to change the past. He himself may not have been able to head into the past to eliminate them, for example. But perhaps Ezra alone could change that history.

He gambled, and it failed. But I can completely understand why he would try it. It harkens back to the entire reason why he wanted access to the portal in the first place. This gives him the chance to run history for his benefit, and the best thing he could do to secure his future was undoing the rebellion, essentially his greatest mistake.

ShiroxCloud, Kylun, Ghost and 7 others like this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Question: Why in the blazing nine hells of Corellia do we assume Ezra went off into the Unknown Regions???!!!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It was generally speculated he and Kanan would end up there pre-ANH. Thrawn's from there, and it's where the action's presumably going to shift towards post-Jakku, what with Snoke, the FO, and the mysterious dark-side-y thing out there. The purrgil are the weird sort of creatures that would probably exist quite happily out there, and if Ezra and Thrawn haven't been heard from in over five years, it's likely they've gone somewhere pretty... unknown.

revan772, TrandoJedi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, I felt STAR WARS: REBELS was a show which became weighed down by continuity and ultimately killed by it. There's a statement that Star Trek: Enterprise was a show which never wanted to really be a Star Trek: Prequel and suffered for the differences. Rebels, by contrast, tried to color between the lines so much that it prevented itself from becoming its own distinct entity.

At its best, REBELS did it's own thing and didn't try to be about the greater galaxy. It was like the West End Game Star Wars RPG. You could be a failed Jedi or a half-trained apprentice tooling around the galaxy with a bunch of oddball rebels fighting against the Empire in ways both great and large. Things like Dark Forces or Kyle Katarn's adventures.

At its worst, REBELS was all about more important people than themselves. Darth Maul was a particularly egregious example as he was too powerful for our heroes to fight and ended up being put down by Obi-Wan Kenobi. When Darth Vader showed up, he pounded the hell out of our heroes but didn't stop to finish the job. Ahsoka more or less stole Kanan's place as the local Jedi and did the job better. Thrawn is a villain who the heroes CAN'T DEFEAT!

REBELS became a carnival of guest stars and fanservice which undermined the heroes doing anything. What did I want from Rebels? Blowing up Imperial targets left and right, liberating planets, and Force mysticism. Instead, they got used like Wolverine or Worf--people beaten up to show how awesome the movie characters or Thrawn were.

Gharlane and Vialco like this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I loved seeing Lando early on, but given his views on the larger Rebellion by this point I think the liberation of Lothal would have been way past his risk threshold. His FACPOV story is scant weeks or months later and seeing him fight here would have undermined that.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This show needed more Grand Inquisitor and less Vader.

It needed less Grand Moff Tarkin and more Moff Pryce.

Less Thrawn and more dude who can be blown up.

revan772, Voltron64 and Sable_Hart like this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Oh you poor man. Still clung onto Legends until the end...

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    At the risk of being confused....isn't the whole post, "Rebels sucked because it was nothing but how the main canon show about a bunch of guest stars no one cared about because they couldn't be killed or dealt with?"

I mean, is there any point to Tarkin if you can't cut off his head or blow him up?

All the villains were untouchable and it ruined the show.

revan772, Gharlane and Rennzwerg like this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    And yet I found no problem with it (or TFA, or Rogue One, or TLJ). Even Clone Wars has grown on me again.

How old are you? Because I'm 28 and have been majorly in the fandom for close to 15 years and have done a writing course so I can see flaws and yet detect little to none in the new Star Wars Canon.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Do characters only exist to be killed off or defeated? Can't Star Wars include characters for the enjoyment of seeing them have adventures or battle our heroes? Isn't that what we're asking for from Lando?

18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    They did kill or convert almost all the recurring non movie villains though. and the movie villains were more or less guest appearances. Honestly I'd argue that the reason the movie villains had to be brought in at all, was because the Rebels original villains were so thoroughly underwhelming, that they needed something that could threaten the ghost crew.

and I guess Thrawn technically isn't dead, but hes so far off the board right now, hes equally irrelevant to the OT era going forward as someone who was.

If they wanted to make Star Wars: Voyager starring Ezra and Thrawn (Having been hyperspaced so far off the beaten path even the Chiss haven't mapped it) begrudgingly working together as they try to make their way back to the known galaxy, I would be more than down.

fett 4 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really dug the final episode mostly for Ezra going full Force at the end there. But I think my favourite episode this season is still World Between World cuz it's wacky as all get-out. (Best ep of the series, and all of Star Wars animation for me is an easy walk away with Twilight of the Apprentice) Palpatine's appearance as kindly and non-scarred was a trip but I think that was established in Lost Stars that he has a different public face. So is it just a hologram glitch (Which is what it really looks like) or can he turn his sith face on and off, which is something I always dug.

Another TFA / Kylo reference with Ezra saying "I will finish what you started." But lightly less menacing than when Ben did it.

So was this the first time we've ever seen Erza's parents in non-hologram form? Also the final shot of them is composed pretty much like the picture we've seen of them all series. I honestly thought they were going to turn out to be alive this whole time but they did something different and wacky.

The character I was most hesitant to see die was Thrawn but he's such a good baddie and apparently he's survived. I mean, they think Ezra is alive anyway so Thrawn would have to be there too. And, yeah, jumping into hyperspace with shattered viewports doesn't seem very survivable but Ezra was pulling off some Big Time Jedi Business there so I can buy it.

So did Kanan and Ezra make it as full fledged Jedi by the end. I'd say yes. Kanan's final sacrifice and Ezra's moment on the bridge is like Rey's lifting rocks moment, sometimes you just pass the test and you're a Jedi.

Where was Ashoka during the OT is still a bit of a conundrum but I'm fine if she was just playing tiddlywinks by herself at Malchor for 4 years. Not exactly dignified but keeps her out of the action / not but still presumed dead.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I disagree with your sentiment. Loved every minute of Rebels. Fan service to the hilt and I loved it.

The irony, is that for the most part, Rebels would have fit into Legends just fine right down to ESB AT ATs being newer models.

The biggest problems came in Seasons 3 and 4 with Thrawn and Defenders. But everything else was ...fine.

I'm not sure your post got read. It was noticed that you made references to WEG and Kyle Katarn and assumed that you were lamenting Legends.

Don't fight it Charles. It's a new world. Only talking points are put forth anymore. Arguments are no longer fully read or dissected. If you disliked something it must be because you refuse to let go of your old skool ways. You and I are relics from a more civilized age.

21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I read and responded to it. I'm also not sure if implying people are "uncivilized" for enjoying the new content is the best way to go.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm a professional writer and if I know anything about writing, the idea of there being 'flaws' in writing as if it's some sort of objective good versus bad is a bizarre idea. Good writing is a matter of taste, genre, and personal preference.

Characters should exist to have story arcs within an existing canon with beginnings, middles, and ends. Tarkin, Darth Vader, Lando, Princess Leia, and all the other guest stars in the show can't have story arcs which affect them as they have their fates told outside of the series.

It limits the amount of story which can be done with the villains of the show and prevents our heroes from having the kind of victories which they needed. It was Luke, Leia, and Han being unable to defeat Vader because he lost in another movie.

Gharlane, Vialco and blackmyron like this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Characters can exist to have story arcs. What were you just saying about avoiding objective statements when it comes to writing? Interstitial stories in a character's arc can still inform that character and that arc; we learn more about them, we gain deeper understanding of motivation, fears, hopes, etc. We gain extra dimension or extra information... or, we can just enjoy them exactly as they are for a little while before they change. It was cool to see Leia being Leia in Rebels, and she didn't need to do much else -- but we also got an insight into her early activities with the rebellion, her reasons for standing up to the Empire, and how she connects with Ezra and informs his own arc.

And I'd say Vader's appearance in Twilight of the Apprentice is one of the best uses of the character in recent memory, despite the story not being allowed to "defeat" him. It added a lot to his story and Ahsoka's, and I think for a lot of people it effectively bridged the Anakin and Vader personas in a way we haven't really seen before.

BigAl6ft6 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm not sure that accusing people of 'clinging onto Legends until the end' for criticizing new content is the best way to go.

Gharlane and fett 4 like this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Hence why I didn't do that. Take it up with the person who posted it.