main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Ezra is the real reason this show didn't evolve beyond mediocracy. All the good stories HAD to include this dead weight cracking jokes. Remember the awesome episode with Obi-Wan when they put Ezra in it because yes?

Gharlane, kalzeth, mnjedi and 2 others like this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Doesn't Yoda being alive do the same thing? Ahsoka is trapped on Malachor for who knows how long. Ezra is trapped in hyperspace for, again, who knows how long. But Yoda is on Dagobah with, last we saw, a fully functioning little space pod. Doesn't the former Jedi Grandmaster maybe kinda lessen the importance of Tatooine hillbilly Luke Skywalker too? If not, why not?

Supreme Leader Woke and Daneira like this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I cannot defend Ahsoka being around, because I have absolutely no idea what the deal is with her during the OT. As it stands, it's weird to me.

But I think Ezra's overall fate works well in conjunction with Luke's storyline. Doesnt seem like he's remotely in any kind of position to help anyone during the OT, so it's still all on Luke.

Vialco and kalzeth like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is my line of thinking as well. I don't think the implied premise that Luke is the new hope only because he's a light side Force user, and as such Ezra or Ahsoka or even Yoda could be slotted in to take his place if need be, is the correct reading. Luke isn't the hope because he's Force user #3, he's the hope because he's Luke. Only he has the right combination of skill, faith, and Force sensitivity that lets him accomplish what he does in ANH.

revan772, Kylun, TrandoJedi and 7 others like this.
  5. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Plus he has the whole "being Vader's son" thing.

revan772, BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, Luke is special mostly because of the expectations placed on him by his Masters. That, and his connection to his father and his compassion.

It's not going to break the universe if there are other Force users alive during the time of the OT. It reminds me of the uproar of Maul proclaiming himself as a Sith in TCW. People acted like the "Rule of Two" being broken was literallygoing to unmake the universe, when really it all just has to do with titles. Just like how they claimed Maul couldn't possibly be Manda'lor because he wasn't a native--and it turns out people in-universe thought the same. It didn't unmake reality or break canon. You have to look at the circumstances beyond what you perceive to be the truth.

Luke is the last hope of the galaxy. That's because Kanan is dead, Ahsoka is trapped on Malachor and probably not even wanting to be involved in the fight anymore, and Ezra is lost in Space. Obi-Wan is dead, Yoda is dead, and Leia is untrained.

Supreme Leader Woke and kalzeth like this.
  7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Has the spoiler period expired? I just finished the last five episodes in one go. It made for a great mini-movie experience.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    This line of explanation is something I generally agree with as I used to be bothered by the amount of force users that survived order 66 in both Canon and legends (and still am to an extent). The finale of season 2 of Rebels also makes clear the near impossibility of turning Vader as not even his own padewan can turn him to the light, further establishing Luke's uniqueness. Also in fairness to new canon at least it didn't go nearly as crazy with the number of Jedi survivors as Legends did so far.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    source?

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  11. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    A fair analysis. I was mostly parroting arguments I've read elsewhere, but it does look like it'll work just fine.

I've always thought canon C'baoth would be Snoke, but Ezra could be interesting. It would make a very intriguing dynamic between him, Thrawn, Sabine and Ahsoka.

Xander Vos likes this.
  12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Pellaeon's not dead.

Filoni is literally just messing with Jello at this point.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This interpretation runs into the fact literally the two most powerful Jedi in the galaxy are alive until ANH.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-rebels-producer-dave-filoni-is-totally-fine-w-1823593680

Star Wars Rebels came to an end this week, tying up the story of the Ghost crew while also giving us a glimpse at their futures. One moment in particular had Rebels fans playing matchmaker for two members of the team—and while executive producer Dave Filoni wouldn’t give us a concrete answer about them, he was happy that it was being interpreted as such.

Over the course of Rebels’ four seasons, Zeb Orrelios and former Imperial Agent Kallus’ relationship together has evolved from mortal enemies—both men believed that Kallus was complicit in the genocide of Zeb’s people, the Lasat—to begrudgingly accepting foes, and eventually to close friends, as Kallus grew increasingly dismayed with the cruelty of the Empire and jumped ship to the Rebel Alliance. Their friendship became one as important to the show as Ezra and Sabine’s, or Kanan and Hera’s, which naturally meant that fans have been shipping the hell out of them for a while at this point.

But “Family Reunion—and Farewell,” the final episode of the series, concluded with something that left it very open to the implication that Zeb and Kallus’ relationship had evolved into something more romantic by the time of the post-Return of the Jedi-era the epilogue was set in.

In a brief moment, Sabine tells the audience about how Zeb took Kallus to Lira San, the secret hidden homeworld of the Lasat Zeb first discovered back in the season two episode “Legends of the Lasat.” Zeb gently covers Kallus’ eyes with his hand before revealing the planet, before putting his arm around Kallus and introducing him to some of the surviving Lasat. Sabine even tells us that Kallus is now free to be among the Lasat, as if he was one of them.

There’s nothing explicit about the two being a couple, but given the tenderness of the whole thing—you don’t just invite a best bro to your secret homeworld and reveal he wasn’t party to genocide, if you know what I’m saying—it’s definitely had some fans wondering if, in a subtle way, Rebels had given Star Wars its first on-screen LGBTQ couple.

io9 had the chance to speak to executive producer Dave Filoni in the wake of Rebels’ end, so we asked him about Zeb and Kallus’ relationship over the course of the series, and if there’s anything to the interpretation of their final scene together as a romantic one:

So don’t go screaming from the rooftops just yet that Star Wars has finally started introducing some LGBTQ characters to the galaxy far, far away beyond the tie-in books—it, like so many other blockbuster franchises, has a long way to go in this regard. But be it bromance or romance, it’s nice to hear from Filoni, who steered Rebels from its earliest days to its final end this week, that he’s willing to leave that interpretation to fans rather than strictly deny it—and champion the intimacy and compassion between the two men, instead of having them forever remain bitter foes.

Who knows, maybe we could revisit Zeb and Kallus on Lira San in Star Wars’ future? Time will tell—Rebels final episode did leave us with quite a few questions we want following up on, after all.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    But they're in hiding the whole time. The moment Obi-Wan goes active, he runs into the Empire and Vader kills him. Yoda never leaves Dagobah. Whereas Ahsoka and Ezra were running around killing stormtroopers and blowing up Star Destroyers. At least they axed the one real Jedi Knight when they killed Kanan. All that's left is a half-trained apprentice and a failed one.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Dave is so sneaky with revealing ;)

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So I was watching a cut of the full duel between Vader and Ahsoka and I noticed what has to be another in a long list of Rebels animation mistakes.

In Twilight of the Apprentice whenever Vader and Ahsoka's blades make contact, there's a momentary green flash. In the latter half of their duel which we see in Season Four, the green flashes are absent. Yet another example of Rebels cutting corners and forgetting their own continuity. For shame, Filoni, for shame.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  18. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Because why would they :rolleyes:

19. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I just think it's rather dumb that any kind of compassion/intimacy between two characters, whether they be het or otherwise, MUST BE ROMANTIC BECAUSE I AM A SHIPPER OF THOSE CHARACTERS. Etc.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They could, however, at any point step out of their hiding and make a run for Vader or Palpatine. They're very very powerful Jedi and all the people who think Ahsoka renders Luke's last hope inert are missing that Yoda and Obi-Wan (again, the two most powerful Jedi aside from Mace Windu in a 1000 years) don't think they can pull off taking the Emperor down.

In simple terms, Kanan could have been fighting the Empire the entire time and never actually ever been a threat to Vader.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Hypatia, Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Wow, I think you watched another show entirelly. Because I remember seeing Vader have real trouble with Kanan and Ahsoka. So much so that he almost died on Malachor.

And lets not forget the Emperor, who just not transformed into a dark side mary sue because of the might Ezra!

I pity poor Luke if Palpatine became master of the WBW...

Hypatia likes this.
  22. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I think it's rather dumb that literally any time LGBT fans latch on to a character as maybe maybe being part of our community, someone comes along and says something like this.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Apparently, since they dropped an AT-AT on Vader and he just kept coming.

Keeping the Empire from magic whatzits is a common Marvel plots.

Yes, becoming omniscient is a common Sith plot.

Hypatia and kalzeth like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it's disturbing we couldn't have a heterosexual romance with Kanan and Syndulla until the very end.

But yes, I'm pushing for Sabine of the Rebels crew.

25. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    The very first piece of animation we saw with them showed them moving in to kiss. Don't play like that.