main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There’s no reason they needed to explain Dantooine on the show. We know that Yavin is one cell among many. There needn’t be any relation between Dantooine’s abandonment and Yavin, unless I’m missing a new canon source that says there is.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Only a month in Canon

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The problem was Tarkin was so giddy at wiping out Yavin. Vader goes on about "This day has seen the end of Kenobi, it will soon see the end of the Rebellion" all on finding Yavin.

As much as many might not like the idea now, the original film emphasized the Rebels threw their lot all on one world. This multiple cells thing is a new canon concept that doesn't fit with the original ANH film (which is still canon and not a disregarded Legends work).

ESB further reinforces this:

Vader: I'm sure Skywalker is with them.

Ozzel: Lord Vader, even if Hoth is a Rebel base, there are other cells. Who's to say Skyalker isn't on another one?

Vader: Oh, good point.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Nom von Anor, fett 4 and Alpha-Red like this.
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The canon narrative still holds up; the rebel cells gradually merge into the single Rebel Alliance; the Spectres and Phoenix Squadron allying with the Massassi Group reinforces that, and Saw's Partisans are outliers Mothma would rather have either back in the fold or disassociated entirely; once they're gone, and bases like Atollon and Dantooine are removed from the equation, Yavin becomes the central base; it is in Rogue One, considering the entire High Command and Rebel Council are based there.

As for ESB, Vader's "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" can imply Skywalker might be with another group.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They were wrong, just like Thrawn was wrong about the entire Rebellion being on Atollon in season 3.

It’s funny just coming off of the Jedi discussion — the Imperials assume there’s a central Rebel base. Storytelling has decided there was not. This is a much easier case to go along with, they’ve been telling us about the cells from the start of the show with their American Revolution militia analogy.

tatooinesandworm and AV-6R7 like this.
  6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    While this doesn't violate the letter of the canon, it does very much violate the spirit of it. But then the same goes for Ahsoka and Ezra technically not being Jedi and Snoke not being a Sith and the prophecy being maintained.

And Imperials making this assumption makes Thrawn, Tarkin etc look even dumber, and we didn't need this after Rebels.

I thought we left these mind bending rationalizations behind when we ditched Legends. I accept the rationalizations, but with an empty feeling the way a galactic citizen getting persecuted by the FO says, yeah I guess technically balance was restored since these guys don't call themselves Sith.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Doesn't The Empire Strikes Back very VERY much violate both the spirit and the letter of the "canon" as laid out in Star Wars? Vader can't be Luke's father after all, since we know that Vader betrayed and murdered Luke's father!

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    True, but ESB was enjoyable enough that I let it slide. I'm not finding most of Rebels (I watched every episode) enjoyable at all. Neither 7 or 8 either. I only like Twin Suns, Twilight of the Apprentice, and Rogue One.

I guess it's down to personal taste then. It's like realism in Star Wars--sound in space is fun, so I let the realism break slide. In an X-Wing game though, not only is requiring thrust in space non-realistic, it slows down your fighter so that you are constantly dying. Not only is it not realistic, it's not fun.

I let spirit-breaking things slide if they are fun. If it's not fun, what's the point?

fett 4 and Vialco like this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It absolutely is down to personal taste, then. That's... kinda the end of the argument, really.

What's next? What dimension did Bendu really end up in?

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    True enough. To add something I realized to @Jedi Princess 's post, there was a big deal in breaking Obi-Wan's ANH line as a lie. "Ben, why didn't you tell me?" and a very long discussion with Ben in ROTJ admitting he lied and why he did so.

We aren't getting these now. It honestly would be better if Luke outright said in 8 that Anakin wasn't the Chosen One and didn't restore balance to the Force, rather than these bizarre twitter retcons from Pablo (Lothal was not an Alliance victory, etc) or one liners in reference guides where we are then supposed to pretend the previous canon wasn't violated . Just break with it and say so. Have Luke say he found out Yoda was wrong that there were no more Jedi, etc. Don't just violate the canon and then say you're still following it...

As for Bendu, everyone knows he went to Waru's home dimension...

kalzeth and fett 4 like this.
  11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Luke does say that there was balance for a time. Like, the time span from Return of the Jedi to The Force Awakens is more ore less real time, right? I wasn't even born yet when Return of the Jedi came out, which means for my entire life time there was relative galactic peace, until the events of The Force Awakens. I dunno, that feels like a win to me, my country has been at war in one place or another for over half my life now, and I only have the one planet to worry about. Also, that story isn't done yet, regarding "the Chosen One," whether or not that will be addressed remains on Episode IX's shoulders.

The thing about Lothal is also directly addressed in the text, it's not just one employee on Twitter. And repeatedly so, multiple episodes feature beats where the characters ask for aid from the Alliance, only to be denied. The series climaxes with one character stating that they took Lothal without the Alliance, and they would hold it without them too, like, it very directly addresses it, much as Luke and Obi-Wan do their retcons in Return of the Jedi.

I think the difference is that the older elements have had time to become ossified in some people's minds, but they were all just as new once, just as "canon-breaking". I dunno, I guess it shouldn't really matter, if it isn't working for you, I dunno. For me, though, it still all very much feels of a piece with the Star Wars film and animation that has come before, expanding it without breaking it.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's the spirit.
    Well except that she's explicitly refusing to be a Jedi. Luke, on the other hand, wants to be a Jedi and do Jedi stuff.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He did not end up in any dimension

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Bendu was well within Thrawn's power to destroy. Unlike the Purgill. Guess the whale is mightier than the moose.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Bendu did not have the many arms required to wrap anyone in a cold embrace, and was therefore powerless.

kalzeth, Barriss_Coffee and Vialco like this.
  16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well it's bizarre then that Luke is still considered a Jedi in 8 by everyone despite not wanting to be a Jedi and not wanting to do Jedi stuff. And Ahsoka's doing far more "Jedi stuff" than Luke in 8 did...

kalzeth, Ghost and Xander Vos like this.
  17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    No, everyone wants Luke to be a Jedi again. No one but Rey knows he's turned his back on the Order. Snoke is delighted to find out he's given up instead of, like, becoming more powerful and building an army.

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    No he still wants to be a Jedi. He's being a Jedi by thinking he should end it, in his mind.

19. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    You talk like that is a good thing. Filoni just took the lazy way like good part of the EU authors. Worse yet, because Ezra goes to wonderland because yes. Bad writing all the way.

Fights for the republic...checked!

Battles against the Sith...checked!

Good and caring for the people...checked!

A good jedi this Ahsoka is!

fett 4 likes this.
  20. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    The movie is called The Last Jedi, not The Last Person Everyone Wants to Be A Jedi.

Revanfan1 and sidv88 like this.
  21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Ezra isn't "around but just choosing not to do anything." Ezra is gone. What about it is bad writing exactly? Or lazy?
    Holy crap Hera is a Jedi!

22. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Can you tell the reason Ezra had to go whale surfing? Yeah, lazy writing.

Could be worse! She could say "I am no jedi"!

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Economic terrorists who rewrite history to add a grand purpose to their acts of violence against the Crown?

Daneira likes this.
  24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well we know why the whales came. Do you mean do I know why Ezra had to go with Thrawn? Not yet.

25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I still have yet to see a good theory that explains why Luke didn't go after Snoke and face him the way Yoda faced Sidious.

kalzeth likes this.