main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Except we also see it from his parents' POV so they seem to be real.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Okay? Go with that for Luke then?

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone planning a Rebels rewatch soon? It looks like all the episodes are available on the Disney Now app.

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I've got Seasons 1 to 3 on DVD. I plan a rewatch of them and Clone Wars after I'm done reading Aftermath: Life Debt, Phasma and Canto Bight.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If this is true then I don't understand what Palpatine is hoping to accomplish.
    I think it's sufficiently explained by the fact that if they died then the there'd be no one to protect the Skywalker twins, and that if they were only going to get one shot at this the twins were their best bet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that, by pressing the button on the side of the portal, which is designed not to open for darksiders, Ezra would "unlock" the World Between Worlds - allowing other people besides him to use it - thus, Palpatine could use it.

It looked to me, at least, that there was a panel on the side of the passage with the "portal to his mother and father" and that Palpatine wanted him to press it.

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    But even that implies it's not an illusion.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Along the same lines as the Nexus, if he enters the room he’s trapped and he’s off the board. Or perhaps it puts Ezra under Palpatine’s control — it’s a siren song.

I don’t think this is the same as the gateway, which was locked and destroyed. These pieces of the temple were taken to Coruscant with Thrawn. Palpatine did something with them.

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Perhaps, but Filoni implied that the opportunity offered to Ezra is genuine, that Palpatine offered it as a way of getting the boy out of the fight. I can't help but think that the chance was real and that if Ezra had opened the gateway, he could have returned to the past and saved his parents. Few could resist such a temptation, but what really would have been lost if Ezra had opened the gateway. From what we can see, not too much. The fact that the true purpose of Palpatine's offer isn't evident is a flaw in the storytelling in my opinion.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It all seems too good to be true, so it probably wasn't. IMO It's very possible Palpatine manipulated the portal into showing the moments before Ezra's parents were arrested, just as Palpatine might have manipulated the other portal to show Kanan's death. Ezra and the rest of the crew would have been killed if Ezra pulled Kanan out of his situation. Ezra would have popped into his parent's house during the arrest and they would have been accused of harboring a jedi and executed anyway. That's my theory at least.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well sure, but killing the heck out of him would have been a lot easier for Thrawn to do. The only explanation for this weird pageantry is if Palpatine thinks it will rewrite history.

12. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Essentially, it opened the gateway to time travel bottom line. Palpatine's plan was to eliminate him by getting him out of the way. Please see the episode before. That episode established the gateways allow you to travel between time and space. Essentially, it was not a trick or illusion by Palpatine. Why bring it up in the episode prior?

This opens the gateway to more 'canons' and possibly even the Prequel Trilogy being completely remade - i.e. 'George Lucas's versions are trash' - has been open. Our worst fears have been realized.
    I understand the 2 or 3 people who enjoy the Disney canon are like 'Disney has said there is only one canon', but JJ Abrams and the Powers That Be at Disney have openly criticized the Prequel Trilogy.
    It's amazing to me how 30 years of books, video games, and comics Legends brought in Zero time travel. That was the big thing in Star Wars for me, the whole 'There is one timeline and we don't even think of introducing the POSSIBILITY of time travel because it gets into the POSSIBILITY of other timelines.' The Disney canon is barely 5, 6 years old and they're already introducing time travel.

I advise people who don't like Disney running Star Wars and like Legends to watch/read Disney so they know what it is they don't like. But this and TLJ have changed my mind: Don't. Disney Star Wars really is as bad you believe it is. It's awful.

kalzeth, Vialco and fett 4 like this.
  13. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    My instinctive initial take was that by going through the portal Ezra would also be giving Palpatine access to the WBW.

14. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yep. The movie also establishes the Sith have control of the Republic/Empire and the clone/stromtrooper army. Team up and go after one, and you leave the other active to gather the forces and strength. It was a lose-lose. I just wish the movie had explained that rather then people who don't want to think say it was illogical.

Vialco likes this.
  15. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I don't like the Dis$ney canon so don't follow it too closely other then seeing the movies in theater and watching Rebels, but hasn't it been hinted at that Snoke was a politican and corrupted Ben that way? (That is, since Leia was a politician, that allowed him easy access to Ben?)

Other then that, it's difficult to tell how much Luke, Han, and Leia knew of Snoke other then that they know he's a reason Ben fell.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Who cares what Yoda says. He told Luke to rebuild the Jedi and he was an abysmal failure at that.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, I got to the end of Rebels and really enjoyed it. There were some issues - any time you try and shoehorn the prequels into the wider Star Wars narrative you can feel the lack of depth and dimension and quite frankly it didn't really enhance the story when ham fists wrote Ashoka or the clones into the script. The prequels were not well regarded outside of people whose entry to SW was the prequels for a good reason. Dave Filoni will not single-handedly change this. Someone needs to make sure he understands that.

And honestly, I feel it was much better earlier on when it felt like a WEG SWPRG game as opposed to the latter seasons but that might also be because of the constraints Rogue One imposed on their proposed story arcs. But it wasn't as boring and flat as Clone Wars, and it genuinely felt like Pre-1997 Star Wars stuff at times so that worked for me.

And unlike six seasons of a terrible attempt at a British accent via Obi-Wan, we only have the occasion obviously awful and obviously not British Tarkin voice in Rebels - the ears bled less.

Farewell, Rebels, and thank you.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Don't worry. Disney will eventually remake / redo / rehash the PT.
    I don't feel this episode tried to shoehorn the PT in at all. Or are you talking about the series as a whole? If so, still, there were only a few items of the PT in it. Mainly Darth Maul - who a lot of fans seem to like for some reason and don't mind he got cut in half and fell into a bottomless pit - and mentions of Kanan's past. That's pretty much it.

I enjoyed some episodes of TCW more, and enjoyed some of Rebels more. I liked the smaller cast of Rebels, the reliance on original characters and therefore their destinies being an unknown, and less-planet hopping. I liked the (occasional) bigger battles in TCW and the larger galactic scope. I will say this: I don't have a desire to re-watch any Rebels episodes, though and there were a few arcs of TCW I would re-watch. (Haven't watched TCW in a while otherwise I'd list them here)

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @wmu'14, as a whole. It was more my thoughts on Rebels rather than the last, double episode.

Maul is a great example. His return was utterly idiotic in Clone Wars. Yes, Maul and Dooku were underused in the PT and as a result felt more interesting than the other parts of the film (mostly because of the mystery). But, like doubling down your blackjack bet on a 20, adding more is not necessarily adding more quality at the same time. Maul in Rebels was just terrible.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Maul's status annoyed me greatly in CW and then him turning up in Rebels. Led me to believe that the Maul we saw in CW/Rebels was an imposter.
    Since then, I developed a headcanon that Maul did indeed die but Talzin got his body and resurrected him (but failed to stop the insanity from being brought back - Nighsister magic is weird after all).

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do need to get Season 2-4 on blu Rey and then I will.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the fact you have to rationalise a bad decision in your head to make it work confirms it was a bad decision.

kalzeth, Vialco and Noash_Retrac like this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    That's how I dealt with the Barriss S5 crap! (She was replaced by an imposter but the Council was blinded to it).

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I'd stopped watching by then. Rebels was a nice surprise at first because it felt fresh and vibrant and Star Wars-y in a way TCW didn't.

Plus Ezra was basically the kid template from the WEG CRB.

kalzeth, Alpha-Red and Noash_Retrac like this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I was skeptical of Rebels at first but after seeing the first two episodes and saw how different it was to Clone Wars I grew to love it.
    I was hoping that Fulcrum wasn't Ahsoka at first but it grew on me (I never realised how invested I was in her fate until S4 mind you and since she declares she isn't a Jedi [despite what others say] it doesn't contradict Yoda's line - wherever she is during the OT is for future writers so I know they'll eventually come up with an explanation and you've gotta be patient for it).
    The clones return surprised me but I enjoyed them.
    Hondo was grating on me frequently and I hope that his fate is extremely painful (Hondo is to me what Jar Jar was to everyone else).
    Maul's return bugged me but by the end of his arc I was glad to see the writers not give into the fans on the whole final "duel" and by that time I'd come up with my personal headcanon on his origins and apparent survival after Naboo.

kalzeth likes this.