main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    So can we count on Kylo to look all wrinkly in 9? He might as well just go all out, call on the dark side with no restraint. Why should he care how wrinkly he gets? It's not like Rey is going to date him anyway.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean, I'd be super into it...

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kylo does look exceptionally pale (moreso than usual) and dare I say it, corrupted when he faces down Luke. Would Abrams push that even further? Or is Abrams just going to put Kylo back in the mask. Maybe that.

Revanfan1 and Ghost like this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I have to say, the whole unmarred Palpatine that Disney Canon likes to push is not something I'm a fan of. No matter what illusions or holograms Palpatine uses, the transcript of his Declaration of a New Order exists. Where he claims "The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed!"

He admits it himself. Not sure why he bothers hiding his true face to some people. The record of his coronation exists, with audio and visual proof that the Emperor is physically scarred.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

fett 4, kalzeth, mnjedi and 1 other person like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If anything about Palpy, he has schemes and plots and schemes and plots and you never know what is the truth.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I noticed his changed appearance on Crait too. His skin became white and translucent, highlighting his dark veins.

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think it’s a waste of time trying to look for an In universe explanation when the Out of Universe explanation is that they don’t care about Continuity and just expect the fans to accept it, no matter what.
    Dave Filoni didn’t want to do Maul v Vader because he felt it might be to fan fic [face_laugh]

DarkEagle, kalzeth, Alpha-Red and 3 others like this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Hypothesis: we know from the Propaganda book that the use of idealized portraitures was discontinued after the fiasco at Yavin. So it must be a post-Yavin statue.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and Vialco like this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Pandering to fans and indulging in his own fantasies are two different things.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

fett 4 likes this.
  10. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Wow.

BobaMatt likes this.
  11. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I wouldn't dismiss the notion of Maul v Vader in canon just yet. Chuckie Soule will probably make it happen in the comics.

RavagerFish likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Palpatine projects whatever image he needs to project at that particular moment, period. Does it serve his needs to be "scarred and deformed"? Then he appears as he really is. Does he need to project strength and authority, or sweet grandfatherliness? Deformity-less statues and altered holograms it is. And if people notice the inconsistency, so what? Where PR fails, ISB agents and stormtrooper squads will pick up the slack.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    So do you think the Giant Wolves avoided getting shot at point blank range by there Wolf Shield's or by there Super Wolf Speed [face_thinking]

14. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Don't know what that has to do with "Continuity."

I also don't ascribe to the idea that the Force should be described with terms that would be better suited to a D&D sourcebook.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Sorry, poorly thought our example

I agree but that’s what Filoni has done to it

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Given that you're the one who coined the terms "Wolf Shield" and "Super Wolf Speed," I don't know why you're putting that on someone else?

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I figured the "unscarred Palpatine" was projected ala Stalin as a propaganda move (maybe they said he got reconstructive surgery).

Stalin notably used an actor for many of his appearances in propaganda.

He allegedly confused said actor for himself a few times.

18. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Well that doesn't sound like propaganda at all.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I mean in the sense of seeing him in film reels and believing he did them.

I don't think you really have to make up stories about Stalin for propaganda against him. He's kind of a guy who has such crazy real life actions that you couldn't post them as no one would believe them.

Why they did the Death of Stalin as a comedy.

20. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Ah, sorry, I didn't know the full context.

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    So how did they avoid getting shot then ?

22. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    They are agents of the Force. My objection to you talking about video game style Force powers doesn't mean we can't turn to the Force as a legitimate explanation in this universe. How do any of our heroes avoid getting shot?

23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Same way everyone else in Star Wars avoids being shot. ;)

[​IMG]

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The funny thing is the Force has been outlined by D&D style terms going back to West End, Wizards of the Coast, and the other tabletop RPG's, card games, miniatures etc, and D&D Force rules form the basis of the Star Wars video games and the ongoing Old Republic MMO. :p

So... Luke's Force projection power was draining his HP at a rate of 1000 per second, something like that. ;)

There were even official stats on what exactly happened to Palpatine's face in ROTS, and this was canon at the time: http://web.archive.org/web/20090602...default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20050804jc71

From the link:

Mask

Just as Sith alchemical techniques can be used to make a subject appear more horrific, they can be used to conceal its true appearance. This requires an Alchemy check (DC 20), and your skill check is modified by all the same modifiers that would apply to a Disguise check. On a success, your Alchemy check is treated as a Disguise check for the purpose of concealing your true appearance (or adopting someone else's), opposed by an observer's Spot check as normal. Each check requires 1 minute, costs the user 5 vitality points, and gives the user 1 Dark Side Point.

Unlike a mundane disguise (which is temporary) or cosmetic surgery (which requires considerably more time to use), an Alchemy mask alters the subject on the molecular level. The subject's true appearance is not apparent on sensors or even during a medical examination. Even if an observer's Spot check beats the Alchemy check result, the observer is only aware that something is wrong -- unnatural, perhaps -- about the subject. (In the case of impersonating a particular individual, of course, the observer would be aware that the subject was an imposter.) However, the mask can be dispelled by dark side energy: If the subject takes damage from a dark side Force skill, the subject must make a Fortitude save (DC 5 + damage dealt) or the mask is removed and the subject’s true face reappears. Furthermore, the sudden transformation physically distorts the subject with dark energy, imposing a permanent -2 penalty to all Disguise checks and an additional -1 penalty for every Dark Side Point the subject had gained in the past 10 rounds prior to losing the mask. These penalties make future attempts to create a mask or mundane disguise much less likely to be successful.

Like all other Alchemy checks, the cost of using this skill on a particular subject is 10,000 credits. Furthermore, the subject takes 3d6 points of damage and must make a Fortitude save (DC 20). If the save fails, the damage is applied against the subject's wounds (as with a critical hit).

It is not clear whether Palpatine loses his mask intentionally or unintentionally, but it is certain that his Force lightning was the triggering event. It is possible that Palpatine voluntarily fails the save and drops the mask when it no longer suits his purpose using it to convince Anakin to intervene against Mace Windu and showing his "scars" to the galaxy as evidence of Jedi betrayal.

[​IMG]

Q: Another question about that scene: I know that Mace Windu was using deflect (attack) to bounce the lightning back at Palpatine, but it looks like Palpatine was bouncing at least some of it back as well. This phenomenon is even more apparent in the duel between Palpatine and Yoda. Visually, it looks a lot like when Yoda used the block ability in Attack of the Clones, but Palpatine isn't a Jedi and doesn't have it. What's happening here?

A: Palpatine is indeed using block. At the time that was written for the Jedi guardian and Jedi consular, it wasn't known that it would find its way into such wide use! So, consider this to be errata: Any character with a deflect (defense) bonus of at least +2 immediately gains the block ability (page 59 of the revised Star WarsRoleplaying Game book, and updated in Jedi Counseling 10).

[​IMG]

Q: How does Palpatine send Yoda flying into the wall when he hits him with Force Lighting? Does Force Lightning cause some sort of knock-back effect?

A: No, Palpatine was actually doing two separate things. First, he used Force Lightning (attack action) against Yoda. Then, he used Force Mastery to perform a Force push (Jedi Counseling 60) as a free action. Thus, Yoda gets zapped (2d10 points of damage), dazed (from the Force Lightning), slammed (3d4 points of damage), and thrown into a wall (1d6 points of falling damage) all at once. No one said taking on a Sith lord would be easy.

[​IMG]

Q: At the end of the duel on Mustafar, Anakin (now Darth Vader) loses three limbs at once, seemingly from a single sweep of Obi-Wan's lightsaber. Is there a new rule that can cover this?

A: Actually, the existing rules can explain this. Obi-Wan gets on higher ground (+1 attack bonus) and readies an action to attack if Anakin tries to reach him -- and, as a free action, he warns him not to try it. Anakin decides he can do it anyway, so he makes a combination Force jump (Hero's Guide page 37, Jedi Counseling 47) with a Tumble check (DC 25) to move through Obi-Wan's square so that he could get the higher ground for himself. Given that he moves out of two threatened squares -- once for leaving the square adjacent to Obi-Wan, and once for leaving Obi-Wan's square -- Anakin will provoke two attacks of opportunity if he fails the Tumble check. Thus, it unfolds like this:

1. Anakin makes his Jump check and succeeds.
    2. Anakin enters a square adjacent to Obi-Wan, triggering his readied action.
    3. Obi-Wan rolls a critical hit, lopping off one limb.
    4. Anakin's jump continues, moving into another square and provoking an attack of opportunity.
    5. Obi-Wan hits, eliminating the rest of Anakin's vitality and doing wound damage, and removing another limb.
    6. Anakin's jump continues again, moving out of Obi-Wan's square and provoking a final attack of opportunity.
    7. Obi-Wan hits one last time, all wound damage, removing the last limb.
    Rules for removing limbs can be found in the Galactic Campaign Guide (page 39) and Hero's Guide (page 126). It would be possible -- but highly unlikely -- for Anakin to survive that much wound damage, but it is within the realm of possibility because Obi-Wan's damage rolls may have been low.

Optional Rule (for use with either system): You can't lose more than half your maximum wound points when you have a limb removed. You may be mortally wounded, but it won't kill you immediately. With this rule in place, Anakin would have a very good chance to survive being so seriously maimed. Each hit would only remove half his maximum wound points, so he would be dying (–1 to –9 points) but not yet dead (–10 points).

fett 4 and Daneira like this.
  25. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah, there are D&D rules that govern walking down the street too, but I don't quote them when discussing the scene where Dustin Hoffman gets hit by a car in Midnight Cowboy.