main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series 1.01-1.02 "Spark of the Rebellion" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I kept spoiler-free until the show and am glad about that. So, all in all it gets a series of pluses:

+Kanan as a character, matured as a person, I dunno so much as a Jedi. If he's to Master Ezra, that'll cement his beliefs and abilities more. Teaching does that to one. His reveal as Jedi was powerful.
    +Hera as a solid, competent type who may turn out to be the glue that holds them all together
    +the holocron as a testing device and of course the Kenobi message. He sounded as though at that point all the horrible shocks had processed and he had moved on to a cautious optimism. The character rendering was okay .. it was nice to see him solidly animated, because I'd just watched the Utapau arc (beautifully voice-acted!) weirdness.
    +Sabine as someone to watch develop more into a Mando style. The demolition job was neatly done, and with a sense of humor on her part, I think.
    +Ezra. I really like that name!
    +the chase scene with Ezra and Kanan on speeders - that was my favorite action sequence, dopplering /zhhhhhhms/ and all, the expanse of the roadway going off into the horizon ... In particular, it felt 'Star-Warsy.'
    +Tarkintown giving a sense of evil Empire, the reason why all this undercover/black market stuff is being done. As a replacement for the urgency of battle in 'The Clone Wars', it'll have to do.
    +a personal whoopee! for the time of these broadcasts - vis a vis The Clone Wars, Friday night was awful for me, Mondays much better :)

some +-
    +- the ship design. Thus far, nothing special about Ghost
    +- Zeb
    +- the Wookiees gave some heart to the story, yet seemed a little oddly placed. They looked weird.
    +- the Wilhelm scream, and the music with its many film 'quotes.'

- None. This show is not The Clone Wars, of which I was a great fan; the animation here looks well done, but not of TCW level. It sure looks better than some stuff lately on Sesame Street and CN, that's for sure, though. So, I look forward to the rest of the stories that Filoni and others have to tell. ^:)^

3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Watched opening Spark of Rebellion episode/movie Friday night. Like most of you, I liked it and mostly looking forward to what it may bring in future episodes. Just having the OT music, ships, some characters is going to be successful, but going above and beyond to include great stories behind them will be what makes it great. TCW delivered on great Jedi battles that ROTS didn't have time for. I feel Rebels could have some more in store for us. Then throw in past jedi making an appearance, stories about their past, will make things interesting real quick. Throw in the Red Imperial Guards in action and Vader, and we will have a winner of epic proportions. Stay tuned...

4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Was planning on waiting a couple weeks and watching a bunch of episodes, but I broke down and finally watched it.

Pretty good overall. I really liked the original trilogy vibe it gave off. The animation can use some work, thought the wookies looked a little off. My biggest complaint, just as in TCW, was having non-threatening and incompetent villains. Felt like the crew of the Ghost could have taken on the entire Imperial Navy and Army without breaking a sweat.

5. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Very very good, especially for a cable channel like Disney XD and a cartoon show.

6. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    My nephew was watching it with me and wondered why agent Kallus' hand didn't explode when Sabine triggered the detonator since he rubbed his hand on the spray paint, it made me wonder that too lol

7. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    I like it so far. My favorite thing about the show so far is Kallus and the Imperials.

My main complaints:
    voice acting- the fat imperial officer's voice, Zeb's voice (I wish he had an indistinguishable accent), the tweeny-bopper female voices. I feel like Hera should sound older because she's supposed to be the mother figure.
    animation- the wookie's and ezra's hair
    teeny tiny pink girl mando armor- it's just a little too Barbie-like for Star Wars.

8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Julian Skywalker-Solo

I agree about the armor for the most part. I would have prefered blue myself, but it's meant to appeal to girls. And Mando armor comes in a lot of different colors; ranging from yellow ( Mirta Gev) to now pink ( Sabine). I don't think she's remotely close to a Barbie though. Hopefully they give her armor a change down the line.

9. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Is it the paint or the magnetic-backed thing that blows up. Remember she used one on the speeder bike in the opening heist.

pronker likes this.
  10. Julian Skywalker-Solo

May 21, 2014
    Barbie isn't the right comparison. I don't like that both of the female characters are so tiny. I feel like they should be more realistic.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    ...It's a cartoon though. An animated show. They normally don't go for realism in that.

Actually...was a month or so back? There was some early sketches of Hera shown in all different sizes and shapes. It was interesting. I think it was posted in the Rebels thread.

12. Julian Skywalker-Solo

May 21, 2014
    I understand that it's stylized, I'd just like for young people to have female role models that aren't impossibly thin.

Darth_Pevra and Valairy Scot like this.
  13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah, I completely understand. It used to be like that in the 90's/to about 2006, and then Disney started changing/ so did the family channel. It's a shame really.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    I agree about female role-models. This has been an issue for 40+ years in pop-culture...

... however.. to get "nerdy" about it ...considering what these characters do for a living... I think realistically they would be fit and trim individuals.

P.S. The wookie animation is absolutely horrifying.

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Jedi Miester

The Wookie's design remind me of Legos....

16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    LEGOS, yes, and with the self-reflecting that this show is doing, possibly was deliberate? Disney has done lots of self-parody, so parodying another source would not be a surprise.

17. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The Wookies looked just fine for this style. People are too nit-picky.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Preferred the wookies in TCW

19. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Basically you're saying that you like the CW animation style better period. CW Wookies would look badly out of place alongside the other animation in Rebels.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good female role models are important to me, but I didn't see Hera and Sabine as "impossibly thin", just in good shape.

Then again I focus more on personality when I think of female role models.

I did take issue with the shape of Sabine's chest armor but overall, I think this show is doing a much better job of not over sexualizing the female characters, than TCW did.

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Erm...no I'm not.

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Good shape would mean they have some visible muscles, which they don't. I know a thin woman and she is very strong, but let me tell you, when she flexes her biceps, you know where her strength is coming from.

23. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    God forbid that human beings should be shown to have sexuality...

I hate this PC crap!

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree to a point, but have we ever seen Hera or Sabine lift anything? I also think it's possible to be in good aerobic shape without doing as much strength training. (It's not necessarily a good idea but it's possible.)

The issue in TCW was that the female characters were going into battle in outfits that no one wears into battle, and they were wearing those outfits for the sole reason of appealing to (some of) the male viewers, not for story consistency.

I'm not seeing that issue with this show, Sabine's armor aside. Hell, we've finally got a Twi'lek pilot in a pilot outfit after Aayla Secura went into battle in a bikini.

Not saying there aren't still strides to make--see the armor--just saying I think we've gotten improvements.

Now if we could just give Kanan reason to take his shirt off...

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  25. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014

I concur. The new ones look like they could do a Panteen commercial their fur is so smooth and silky